1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Watches and Wonders is underway. I got an email this morning with the new Lange Odysseus Chronograph. :bow:

ChemGuy likes this.
  2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Odd question -- are watches sold on cruise ships worth a look price wise? My Fiancé is going on a Royal Caribbean cruise next week with her kids and there's a Longines event on board. I have a soft spot for the brand as I have a US Army Air Corps aviation deck clock by Longines (made in '43 and bought in Japan by my dad around '60 when he was in the Navy). If the prices are worth it I may ask her to grab me one. I've heard that in general Jomashop and others offers equal or better prices than what you can find now a days in the Caribbean.

And on a different tangent, not too many of you would share the same opinion, but I dig this watch.

[​IMG]

3. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Ventura quartz

ChemGuy likes this.
  4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So if I was to try and find a good dress watch under 1k, Is that possible? I find my self looking at nice dress watches when I go by a jewelry store but I have no clue what is a good watch.

5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Lots of options for 1K. Citizen and Hamilton are in that range.

assjuice cyrus and Yzasserina like this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Please define "good"
    Looks?
    Automatic vs hand wind vs Quartz?
    Waterproof? Water resistant?

Hamilton - Jazzmaster & Jazzmaster thin-line
    https://detroitwatchco.com/collections/men-and-women-collection
    Orient Watch - https://www.orientwatchusa.com/. Look at all but the "Sport" line.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  7. assjuice cyrus

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You said "dress watch" which in watch-nerd parlance has a specific style.
    Typically it's a 2 hand (hour/min) or maybe 3 hand (h/m/s) watch.
    More often than not, a strap instead of a metal bracelet.

Here's a good list. The Seiko Presage and the Longines are good
    https://theadultman.com/fashion-and-style/best-dress-watches-under-1000/

Dress watch:
    [​IMG]

Sport Watch
    [​IMG]

9. assjuice cyrus

Looks like I got alot to learn. I don't know I like the leather band style.

Jedb likes this.
  10. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You're fine. Just look until the right watch speaks to you. If you have any questions, Jedb or Steve Thompson have the answer.

Yzasserina likes this.
  11. assjuice cyrus

I like the look of this one. It's just looks clean and classy. But is this a decent watch?

Casio Oceanus T200S

12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

13. SteveThompson

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

15. assjuice cyrus

I also think I would like something bigger then 40mm. Something around 45mm would be more of the size I would be looking for I think.

16. SteveThompson

45mm is very large for a wristwatch.

17. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Pick your fav. Seiko Cocktail time case color and dial, then replace the strap as the OEM suck and you are in great shape for like 500 bucks. The dials on this lineup punch so far above their price its ridiculous. The only negative I can say for a dress watch is they are a hair over 40mm which if your a decent size person should be fine, and they have a date window which is not typically traditional for a dress watch but more of a modern dress watch.

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/presage/cocktailtime

18. assjuice cyrus

But I think 40mm is going to be to small for what I like.

19. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Would you buy an Omega through Jomashop? Have been considering a Blue Omega Seamaster Diver 300 for a while now. Retail is $5,600 and Joma has it for $4,495 on sale. My wife bought me a Tag off Joma when we got married 12 years ago, but since then I've gone to ADs for my other watches, but not the same one consistently, so I don't have a relationship to consider at this point.

20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If we are still talking dress watch, 45 is not going to cut it. Traditionally you'd be looking 36mm for a dress watch - for a modern take 40mm would be the max IMO. I'm not sure I've even seen any dress styled watches over 41-42mm.