1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Why does he want an adventure bike if he's riding mostly roads?

Long, flat, boring roads in the midwest would be fooking unbearable on a single (IMO).

2. prm

prm Well-Known Member

It’s what he wants. I’m just the messenger. I believe his plans are to ride to hiking trails, hike/camp a few days then return. He already does the hiking and camping.

3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Most roads in Iowa are gravel.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I love my GSA but I'm thinking hard about a V Strom 1050XT. I've watched almost every review and it seems to have everything that I really need.

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

KTM390 Adventure?

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

V-Strom 650
    - low seat height builds confidence for newer riders
    - very encouraging power delivery (oddly way different than an SV. It has no top end, but feels amazing around town.)
    - reliable
    - tire sizes are more street oriented than dirt (aka 19" front not a big 21" skinny dirt wheel)
    - lots of luggage options for carrying his hiking gear
    - can cruise all day at 80mph on the interstate or lug around town. I wouldn't want a single for a mostly road bike.

SuddenBraking and bullockcm like this.
  7. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Former KLR owner, I wouldn’t want one for a first bike. Extremely top heavy with a full fuel tank. Coupled with all the plastic is just asking for the inevitable newbie tip over. Good advice on the vstroom 650, if it had to be a single the dr650 is a better choice than the KLR for a starter bike.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

9. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Bringing this back up - I'm not real familiar with the area, but it appears that Deals Gap and some other great roads are in the same area as the SM500. All the controversy over Deals Gap aside, any local suggestions for great roads to hit while in this area? Looking to take the T7 on this trip so some pavement/scenery would be nice too.

10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Cherohala parkway, Foothills parkway, BlueRidge parkway, hwy 28, hwy 68, Wayah Rd, Greasy Creek road , etc, etc, etc

acorn27 likes this.
  11. rd400racer

Looks like I sold my 09 GSA yesterday. I truly loved this bike but didn't use it to the full potential available, so time to move on. Plus I've had it for 4 years and I'm bored. I've looked at a large variety of replacements from most every brand, middle-sized to full. I've narrowed it down to 2, and yes, I realize these are barely in the adventure bike category.

Both are 2016's; Multistrada 1200S with 9K miles and semi-big service just completed and a BMW S1000XR which just had the major 18K service completed and is owned by a friend of mine. It has the full Premium Package. I love Ducatis, I currently have two and the Multi just seduces me. But the raw power of a good old inline 4 may just intoxicate me more. I'm leaning pretty hard towards the BMW, mainly because it's good to go for another 18K miles (and I'll probably have sold it by then). Any comments on one or the other?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Multi.

[​IMG]

This my 2017 Multistrada 1200 Enduro when I bought it November 2016 from D&D in Pensacola. One up, two up, dirt, highway, day trip, overnight, week long trip . . . . It does it all, just about. You don't want it on single track or rough (Jeep only) two track. She's a big 'ol girl. But, forest service roads and graded gravel are fine. Two up, 3 loaded bags . . . going 75 and need to pass someone? Gas it, hang on and be aware that you'll be over 100 mph really really fast.

The 4 cyl BMW is just another sport tourer, nice no doubt, but it ain't an Eye Talian V-twin.

Cheers,

Dave

rd400racer likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Absolutely, but you're the one that needs to define what it is that you're looking for, as well as what you are not looking for.

One has soul, the other is a machine.

14. rd400racer

This might come across as a bit sad, but I've owned so many motorcycles that at this point in my life the thrill of purchase is gone. Like you said, it's just a machine anymore (which I think kind of answers the question). The list of motorcycles that would actually get me excited is extremely small and most of them are over 30 years old.

Don't get me wrong, I love the act of riding a motorcycle. It's just that by this point, it's two wheel below my waist. So, BMW:D

SuddenBraking, malamute and Britt like this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Either go find that old flame and rekindle your desire or, FFS, just go buy a Prius. :crackup:

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ducati DesertX?

17. rd400racer

I sat on one when we were in Bologna back in July and thought it was a pretty cool bike, but if I didn't use a GSA to it's potential. I certainly won't do it with a Desert X.

I love riding motorcycles, it's just that nothing that has come out in the last 20 years really gets me going. Tonight is our weekly Two Stroke Tuesday bike night, I'll probably ride my 92 900SS and have a blast. But buying motorcycles now is about as thrilling as watching a rerun.

There is one point i didn't bring up. I'm very close to retirement and the first thing I want to do is a lap of America. I want a bike that will do that and I don't have to worry about, but it needs to have a little essence. My first choice was the newer Suzuki 1050XT, but talk about a bland machine. At least with the XR I get a stonking engine and plenty of electronic gizmos. And I feel more secure in the reliability of the BMW over the Ducati.

malamute likes this.
  18. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

FWIW, about 10 years ago I knew someone that had an 1198 R Corse, a D16RR, and an Multi. His favorite one to ride by far was the Multi.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've lost the "Essence of Motorcycle Riding"...that joy of riding a basic motorcycle has been hijacked by all the bells & gadgetry..like the description of a Heroin Junkie..Chasing that "Feeling"...:)

PS, I'm still in Love with the SuperMoto.

Attached Files:

rd400racer likes this.
  20. rd400racer

Actually all of my current bikes are pretty basic...the 900SS, a Yamaha cruiser, an 85 Nighthawk, a Monster and the Skorpion. The GSA was the only one that had a gadget in the ESA but I hardly used that function. Motorcycles that would get me excited...an RZ500, 916, GS1000 Wes Cooley, Z1R

malamute, Triple X and Britt like this.