1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA: Race Tires & Race Tracks

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

The North Central region is a bit weird because the grids have been very small and it's tough for a vendor to cover even the gas money to get to the races. Trackside tires was covering Nelson but I'm not sure if they will again this year. Here's 2 contacts to ask your questions to. [email protected] or [email protected]
    Another thing to consider is if the grids are small and the contingency program has min. size requirements which most do contingency may be out of reach, then factor in the cost of tires, as some are more expensive than others.

RyGuy7 likes this.
  2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Don't forget to factor in the longevity. Bridgestone's testing and success in World endurance has produced a tire that can go race pace for longer than others.

RyGuy7 likes this.
  3. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the contact info. Yes, I have been thinking about those factors. The expert grids were generally smaller than the novice grids this past season, except for the National challenge series races in our region. They were still big enough for contingency payouts though. I do have a way to 'buy-in' to pirellis at the bulk pricing, but if support at the track is a no go, then the cheaper price may not be worth it. May even still be cheaper to run bridgestone if I win contingency, and would still get the trackside support. I still have some work to do in contacting Kevin and trackside tires before making a decision. I'll post here when I get more info about Pirelli in the North Central region for everyone.

4. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

I love the Bridgestone longevity! I ran 4 practice sessions, and 6 full races at the GNF last season, taking five 1st place finishes and one 3rd place (granted in Novice), on 1 front and 2 rears!! I think I could have even gotten away with just flipping the rear too, but it was a long drive home and decided to go the somewhat safer route...

The only thing thats holding me back, is guys in expert class who are always up front, swearing by Pirelli... They all say that the performance is notches above Bridgestone, but they admit that the Pirellis die quick.. But Bridgestone is also the tire in Canada's premier class, so IDK. I'm leaning towards trying to shake up the status quo on Pirelli, by winning with Bridgestone... Easier said than done though!

stickboy274 likes this.
  5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

This along with usually the freshest tires at the track, a bizzilion absolute m/c track records around the US, and the fact you can race on the same tires used in WSBK. Now if the guys can figure out how to get a truck to the midwest on a regular basis...

RyGuy7 likes this.
  6. stickboy274

Those new dual compound tires are really impressing me. The soft with XS for mid corner is a nice tire.

RyGuy7 likes this.
  7. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

Well I feel kinda dumb... I assumed that was a medium center and soft sides when you guys asked me if I wanted the dual compound at Barber.. lol. Dang, I would have really loved to try that. That sounds like a nice tire!

8. stickboy274

You were right. We also have a med/sof. I've been playing with th esof/xs more and it's lasting and going fast.

RyGuy7 likes this.
  9. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

Well sign me up! Now, serious question... I have heard from some that softer tires are for warmer days/ track temps, yet I have heard from others to run harder compounds on hotter days... I always thought myself that soft goes with hot temps, and harder compounds with colder temps, since softer tires usually have a higher operating temperature... But which one is it? Or not so black and white?

10. stickboy274

It depends on the brand.

Bridgestone says softer in cold, but in testing, all compounds work in all temps. You just run the one that feels how you like, unless you're at a really abrasive track and want more wear. Then you go harder.

Dunlop says softer for hot and harder for cold. That being said, they don't actually call their tires soft med etc. What people call harder have a stronger molecular bond than what people call softer. That stronger bond lets it resist tearing more, but it also makes it not as compliant to conform to the track surface and well.

RyGuy7 and Rance Taylor like this.
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

FYI my replacement says Ryan from MTD 978 836-8156 will be doing more events in the North Central region this year. www.mtdtracksupport.com

voss555 and RyGuy7 like this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Molecular bond WTF? I’ve written about this many times so here we go again. In simple terms tires use resin (think glue) for grip, silica adds chemical wet grip and lessens rolling resistance, and carbon black adds durability i.e. longer life and is less sensitive to temperature. What confuses most is the more resin in the tire the harder it feels when you stick your finger nail in it when cold, and don’t get me started about using a durometer outside of a test lab. Using this easy-to-understand application chart that you can find anywhere explains everything and if the competitor’s chart is confusing then shame on them. Finally, when a first-year expert that I would guess is trying to win races is up against seasoned riders with say a SC0 or SCX on the back you better plan accordingly.
    [​IMG]

youngR, BrentA, RyGuy7 and 1 other person like this.
  13. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

That makes a lot of sense. And you guessed correctly, I am not spending all this money, time and energy just to show up and try for 2nd place... I texted Ryan at MTD, hopefully they will be at most of the events in the North Central region this year. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the helpful information!!

14. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Quinten is great, always happily spoons our Pirellis on when there is no trackside support. I usually get a stack shipped to us in the beginning of the season from our friends who are trackside in a different region, but always buy from the local guy if there is one there. If you do any other rounds its always a good idea to call ahead and let them know what you need so you aren't surprised they don't have your size or compound.

RyGuy7 likes this.
  15. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

I love Quinten, he really is an awesome guy! Thats all great information, thank you. I wish I could afford to buy a stack of tires at the beginning of each season. Sadly, I'm living racecheck to racecheck... lol. And interest rates are insane, so trying to keep everything off credit this year if possible. Thats also why I hope they will be at a majority of the races this year.

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So how did Grattan go Ryguy6? Make any bridgestone contingency money? How was the rider turn out? I was going to come down but i was stuck babysitting with the wife. I hope to make it to the next round.

RyGuy7 likes this.
  17. RyGuy7

RyGuy7 Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for checking in! Grattan I would say was a bit disappointing for me.. But the first race of the season always is while I shake off the rust. I didn't make any contingency money, as rider turnout was pitiful. A lot of people that usually race Grattan went to Pitt with CCS that weekend instead. We didn't race in the nice weather Saturday, as Evelyn had a bad fall, broke her arm, knocked her head good and needed taken to the hospital! She was alright after, no concussion. So Sunday was the only day we got to race. It stormed really bad overnight, and we all knew it would from the forecast, so half the paddock left Saturday. Light rain stayed until about 9am. The track dried off just in time for racing, leaving some people still on rain tires for the first couple races, and they ended up melting them. I had a nice battle going with Super Carl and Brad Teske, but I just couldn't find a rhythm and just flat out was not aggressive enough. Took 3rd in that race, C Superstock. Then later on I was the only one in C Superbike.. So I guess overall to have an off weekend but still get a bunch of points and no crashes, I shouldn't complain. Hope you can make it to Nelson! I love that place, and its my home track.

I am taking my R1 to Nelson tomorrow for it's first trackday ever though!! This bike has been my streetbike for a little over a year now, so its been a long time coming! Super excited for it too! I just put some brand spanking new Supercorsa's on her, so should be a great time! Weather looks amazing!

18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Good stuff. Should be in Tech session. I know you do have a thrad in there too. This is simpler and still good info. I dont use Pirellis right now, as I like the Dunlop front better. The rear for me is a wash. But the Dunlops are much cheaper here than the Pirellis.

19. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Oyah, one more thing. There is really no excuse for having dirty rims. Mine are always clean enough that I just do a dry wipe with microfiber towel and they are clean. Unless its raining there is really no excuse. Which we just dont get rain here in So Cal to use that as an excuse.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

There's really no excuse for a dirty bike at all. To your point, rain etc.. yeah that's a huge PITA because you have to tear it all apart, regrease etc.. But on a dry weekend, wipe it down after each session to ensure you don't have a leak or anything came loose.

05Yamabomber likes this.