1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triathlon bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by tjnyzf, Dec 31, 2022.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

My son does sprints on my roadbike (with flat pedals), does fine and kills the transitions.
    +100 on proper bike size and a fitting, makes all the difference in the world. If you think you might really get into it I'd pony up for at least 105 groupset otherwise you'll be buying a new bike within 8 mos. like I did. :mad:
    It's definitely not a cheap sport but can be affordable if you hunt around a bit on ebay/amazon/etc. I bought used cycle shoes, pedals, helmet and a couple kits my first year and saved a bunch.
    Have fun man, racing with your kid is always worth it. :beer:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

You can get an amazing new aluminum endurance road bike for $2500 or less these days. A similar bike used will probably go for ~$1500. +100 to the 105 groupset. And don't buy a bike with a 1x drivetrain, make sure it has 2 chainrings and a front derailleur.

Expect to test ride every bike you are interested in. Make the shop employee adjust the saddle and ask them about anything that feels weird or wrong. The contact points are the most important areas to think about - butt, feet, and hands. And don't let them hand-wave away any of your concerns. The shop probably has someone most experienced with fitting and you likely won't be chatting with them first during a test ride.

If you do buy a new bike, spend another $150-$200 and put some good tires on it. A few friends have bought new bikes in this price range recently and I'm shocked at how shitty and slow the stock tires are.

Once a Wanker.. and tony 340 like this.
  3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Tires and their pressure are one of the biggest parts of the puzzle

I'm not on the cardio level you triathlon guys are, but I actually have a 2nd set of wheels with smooth tires for my mtn bike cause I hated the riding position on the roadbike so much. Sold it during covid and got great money out of it.

All that being said, I'd encourage you to get a higher end used bike that you can re sell if you don't like the fit or components. Experiment with stuff, then go order the shiny new one that costs 2 months pay

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

also, when you go to get pedals and shoes, opt for MTB style, over roadies. (my preference, after rider friends suggested these to me). easier to walk in, and not feel super uncomfortable, when not clipped in. I love the Crank Brothers Candy 7 pedals. (again another rider friend suggestion). your results may vary. Ski

sdg likes this.
  5. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

Update! took Tgold with me to look at a used bike and bought it today! Specialized Allez 58cm, carbon fiber fork. Paid $380 for it.
    [​IMG]

t11ravis, sdg, Gino230 and 2 others like this.
  6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That’s like $5 not 3¢ lol

Jed likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

looks like they flipped the stem on it and it has plenty of spacers you can move the bars a pretty good bit

8. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Buy a set of aero bars, lift the bars up and back, maybe even look for a forward angle seat post. Tri is all about efficiency, waste as little energy as possible while moving as fast as possible. Riding in an aero position was worth about two mph for me. If you have a one hour ride that would put you 8-10 minutes up the road on the run. Huge time gap to make up. I was a strong swimmer and cyclist but running at 200 pounds was my weakness so I had to be as efficient as possible in the other portions of the race.

9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I am not a cycling expert, but I have been ridng on and off for 10+ years. I started with a new $1K Scattante carbon frame bike with Shimano 105 , and rode it for a number of years. It was a good bike, and my only gripe was chain alignment, and having to be pretty precise with shifting. I later upgraded to a Canyon Endurace with Di2's. I consider it the "cheapest" of the good stuff. Absolutely love the electric shifters, and the bike. Had it for about 5 years now, and am still happy. I played around with my own fitment, and it is probably not perfect, but I could tell what felt good and what didn't. Setting up very basic geometry is not rocket science. IMO.

And yes, training is far more important then the bike you are on.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Its 1 sprint. You’re not going to do well. Just ride what you got and see if you even like it before you go dump money on another money pit hobby.

11. Electric shifters are one of those things that once you have them IMO you will never go back. Biggest key to a bike is fit and if you don’t know how to properly set up the bike for yourself (or in this case someone else) go to a good bike shop (I’ve had best luck with local non chain shops who sell high end shit). Forget the name of the machine but it’s like 3D scanners and they place reflective pick up points on key areas. Kind of like measuring a frame. A bike setup improperly kill your pedaling efficiency, make you sore as hell and will just plain suck ass.

12. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

if youre never going to want to ride again just get anything you can borrow. Its a short sprint. The hardest part for you right now is to get used to just riding. Ive seen it done on a beach bike and thats so badass cause you know you wont be coming in last place and youll get wayyyy more high fives haha.

t11ravis likes this.
  13. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sounds like Retul

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

FYI road bike fitting and tri bike fitting are totally different things. Just because a 58cm frame fits you on a road bike it doesn't mean you will be a 58 on a tri bike. My Cervelo road bike is a 58cm and my tri bike is a 56cm. We shortened to top tub to put me in a better position on the bike.

You will do fine in a sprint race on a road bike. If you get serious enough you'll know when its time for a specific machine, kind of like everyone telling you "you'll know when you need to switch to slicks."

15. I believe that’s it.