1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

yes

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why would you think that question was trolling or sarcastic? Are they no longer available?

3. KodakMoment

KodakMoment Well-Known Member

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Ordered one of these today. Color case hardened 30-30. Gonna be something I pass down to the little one . But first I got to create some stories with it! upload_2023-3-23_15-10-43.jpeg

Mick6R, lizard84 and Sabre699 like this.
  5. redtailracing

Because frankly, I've never even heard of 5.56 slap rounds and if they do exist, it's some rare, unique oddball stuff someone is producing in low quantities. While 62gr 5.56 is at least the 2nd most common weight of 5.56, maybe the most common. Not sure why anyone assume they were anything special.

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

wth are "slap" rounds??

7. fastfreddie

Perhaps there's some confusion, and it's me, but I have always known the 62gr green tips to be SLAP rounds.

A true SLAP round is a Saboted Light Armor Piercing projectile. I, and everyone I served with, have always colloquially called the green tip 62gr 5.56 rounds "slap rounds" cuz they have a steel core penetrator.

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I own a Marlin .35 lever action rifle and I love it.

Is that a Henry?

9. redtailracing

Sorry, I guess the engineer in me is too detail oriented. I get where you're coming from but I've simply never heard them given that designation as SLAP rounds traditionally have tungsten core and I believe are sleeved down. And I dont even consider green tip to be AP as technically it isn't though again, I understand the sentiment since it is steel core.

10. fastfreddie

Yeah, it's not really armor piercing, but it will go through 3mm of steel around 100-150yds...or a combat helmet out to ~600yds.

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yeah Henry 3030. I did all my early hunting with a marlin 3030 that the farm manager owned. I could probably get that exact rifle but he’s not in good health and they should keep it in their family . I did see him at my uncles funeral and he said he should give me the shotgun I shot my first turkey with that was his. It was an old browning hump back something.

Sabre699 and Razr like this.
  12. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

That’d be a really cool SG to have especially with the personal attachment. It’s tough to walk around the mine field of families and illness though. Some people would be 100% on board and others would think what the fvck. Funny thing is the latter people are actually the vampires.

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You GO with your bad self Freddie!!!!

Imma gonna use that line with the ladies too. ;-)

(I cannot believe nobody else took that and ran with it here. You all are slacking)

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

So, for those of us being technical, no, regular AP rounds are not SLAP, but LAP. A sabot is a slug and the jacket is there purely to engage the rifling. After exiting the barrel the jacket separates from the slug and the slug continues on. 62gr m855 is simply steel tipped. It's not any better at armor penetration than standard m193. It's better at going through things like doors and walls. The new m855a is much better at actual AP though. 308 black tip would be true AP, (full steel core) but still not SLAP. There are some companies that make SLAP for common military calibers but us regular folk don't get to buy that. The only regular SLAP I know of is 50bmg.
    [​IMG]

redtailracing likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

As visual comparatives...
    The pointed triangle in the nose of this steel core penetrator M855 bullet, the same as the original SS109, is an air gap. Y'all can argue about "why the air gap".
    m855.jpg
    This is the result vs standard ammo...
    06002.jpg
    SteelPlate.jpg

16. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Looking for recommendations on reliable inexpensive 9mm range ammo. So far I’ve picked up Fiocchi 115gr @$0.24 per round and 115gr Blazer Brass for $0.235 per round.

What sayeth the Beeb?

17. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Don't think you'll beat that for cost or quality. Blazer is solid IMHO.

18. fastfreddie

I mainly stick with mainstream stuff for plinkin' and practice, like Winchester "white box" in the same gr weight as my life dependent ammo. I tend to buy in bulk when I find something that I know but that doesn't preclude buying a box here-and-there of whatever just to try something new.
    Some people are picky, some guns are picky. Other people don't care as long as it's cheap and their gun eats it. Still others don't care what it costs so long as it's their go to brand/type/etc.
    Another thing to consider is whether you'll ever reload. If so, that will add other considerations based on the quality of the case that you'll be taking home with you after your range visits.

19. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Fiocchi and Blazer are good, also have shot quite a bit of Sellier and Bellot. You will find some types of ammo are copper plated instead of being a true jacketed round. Really only a concern though in ported or compensated pistols since the ports can shave the thin plating and some of the lead and throw it in the air at the ports.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

My Buddy in my home town bought a Staccato today. I’m so happy for him.

BTW. Just got home from John Wick 4. Fuggin awesome!!!!!!

fastfreddie likes this.