1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest batch of HD diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Yes the whole F-series line has aluminum cab/fenders/bed to the best of my knowledge.

2. Bull&Bear

Bull&Bear Member

honestly, not exactly sure what happened. All I can tell you is I was in reverse at about 8mph and hit a patch of snow and then the thing locked up on me. It cost me about $7k out of pocket with labor. (3k for the trans with a 3k core charge back and then about 3k in labor plus some other stuff I had done to the truck.)

sdg likes this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Like buying a higher trim vehicle. Pay more up front, get more $ on resale later. Or buy a cheaper truck and get less later on. I'll keep my diesel.

cav115 likes this.
  4. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

True. I have an 11' F-350 4x4, the first year for the 6.7 power joke, bone stock. It was my work truck for five years. I worked it hard but never abused it. Always kept up with my maintenance schedules. Coming back from a job the CEL came on. Stopped at a stealership where I knew the diesel tech. He ran a diagnostics check, the EGR cooler was taking a shit. Checked with the service manger and they wanted 3600.00 to R&R the cooler. Fuck that. The diesel tech said that the emission stuff is a a cascading effect. Sensors start going out/ DPF fails and so on.

I knew the tech did side work at his small shop and got a full delete done with a tuner for 1700.00 that weekend. I did it cause I couldn't afford to be down with my tow vehicle not because I wanted roll coal. Tuner stayed in stock trim or tow mode.

I'm no longer in business but still have the truck. 200k on the clock. Replaced the cold side charge pipe with an aftermarket aluminum piece cause the OEM was plastic shit. R&R the alternator and the crappy body factory body bushings at 160k. Batteries once and pads and rotors once. It's more truck than I need but I'm gonna hang on to it cause right now decent late model used 1/2 ton gas burners are stupid expensive.

ducnut and Motofun352 like this.
  5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

5 star definitely has a tune for the Ford 10sp... I have one.
    It doesnt skip shift past 2nd and the changes feel "firmer" but at worst Im not towing more than 5000lbs. Since it was a joint venture component between the 2 titans seems like frequent fluid changes and proper "tuning" are 2 items that extend service life. Some of the failures on the 10sp appear to occur from an underfill of fluid on the assembly line. It couldnt be any more difficult to check the levels on the Fords unless you pony up $250 to B&M for their remote dipstick.

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I can guess. The nanny features didn't know what to do when you lost traction in reverse at 8mph. After they lost their minds, they decided the best thing to do would be to pull the plug.

FWIW, that shit doesn't happen on manual transmissions and, I'm guessing, the less nannyshit features, the less likelihood of them causing stupidly expensive and completely avoidable problems due to poor programming by some slaphappy keystrokin' grad from the "name your community college/online graduate" school of I'm now an injinear.

Thanks god these manufacturers don't build boats.

sdg and tony 340 like this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

One of the accountants, over on THT, extrapolated out everything and the Godzilla is still cheaper, with the inconsistent variable being fuel. It was only after several hundred thousand miles, using it as a work truck, did the diesel get back on top. But, as a normal buyer, it doesn’t make sense, especially after the warranty expires and/or while you’re waiting on repairs. If you’re a buyer with the wherewithal, who desires a seamless towing experience above all else, and you don’t mind the downsides, then, a diesel might be for you.

As for deleting, states are cracking the whip on deleted diesel trucks. Enforcement is easy enough and it’s an additional revenue stream, so it’ll only gain more momentum, as other states come onboard.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My local guy wont even let you park in his lot with a deleted truck for a look at your problems

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That’s cuz the deleted trucks don’t have problems…. :Poke: ;)

Dragginass, ducnut and fastfreddie like this.
  10. fastfreddie

At least not combustion problems.

The mechanical issues I've had have nothing to do with engine. Front end components and the slush box have been the bane of my '02's issues.

An injector pump relay caused some idle/off idle issues. Prior to replacing it, puttin' my foot in it cleared that up.
    Other than that, two recalls...one to replace the cam position sensor and, the other, a cruise control/brake relay. My truck didn't suffer failures of either but I figured wth, might as well.

Who knew electronics could ever be an issue? :D

Where's my mechanical injector pumped '85(?) Blazer? No electronics needed once it fired up so, starter and charging systems for convenience, lighting for legalities.

ducnut and pickled egg like this.
  11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: A Harley Pan American frame and a Ford F250 frame weigh exactly the same.

YamahaRick, JBall, Razr and 2 others like this.
  12. Bull&Bear

Bull&Bear Member

You’re probably not wrong, I did see the tc light come on right before it took a shit so you definitely could be right.

13. fastfreddie

< sensor: We've lost traction.
    <other sensors: We're going 8mph, in reverse, and transmission rpm has risen exponentially.
    >programming: I'll alert the user, reduce power and apply brake to the effected wheel(s).
    >other program: But we're in reverse. o_O
    >programming: Deal with it.
    >another program: It's beyond the parameters! :confused:
    >programming: Okay, don't panic! Shut everything down. We'll initiate a trouble code and figure it out later. :crackup:
    >still another program: I've blocked the transmission of power to the drive wheels.
    >programming: How?
    >still another program: By locking the transmission.
    >and yet another program: Should I continue to reduce power and apply brake?
    <sensors: :rolleyes:
    >programming: Ruh-roh.

I have no faith in automatics.
    Less so in computer engineers applying their expertise to programming mechanical applications that operate under a host of variables produced in a laboratory and transferred to a flow chart/spread sheet from which they develop the parameters/interfacing/interaction of sensor-signaled data to control the devices' operation in the real world.

I wonder where they get the idea that they don't make any money off manual transmissions. Surely they make enough off autos to cover the expense...and they won't need incompetent computer engineers to figure out what works at the customer's expense. Not offering a manual causes them to lose customers for all their products. Well, at least one that I'm aware of. :D
    Evil bastages.

ducnut likes this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ok Henry Ford. :rolleyes:

15. Wheel Bearing

People will always have a desire to justify their decision. You could rationalize using a 1/2 ton to tow a trailer that should be towed with a 3/4 ton because it's cheaper and still cheaper than a 3/4 ton even after getting 5 gallons to the mile.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah Im sure the 1080, 1060, & 10R140 didnt undergo any testing what so ever...lol Make sure you keep some kind of powertrain warranty intact when it grenades... billet everywhere!!

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’d be the pot calling the kettle black.

Math isn’t emotional.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. Wheel Bearing

You're using emotion in your logic with "diesel repairs". My current truck has spent 0.0 days under repair. My previous truck spent 0.0 days in repair (excluding wear and tear stuff like brakes, wheel bearings, tires).

Again, it's natural for people to justify their decisions. Just look at how many SRW owners will say they don't need a dually for towing a 42' 5th wheel.

Once a Wanker.. and fastfreddie like this.
  19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I think about that every time I see an old V8 Dakota with a 5th wheel trailer. I can almost hear them telling me it pulls it fine. They never have a good answer when I ask how it stops in an emergency.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  20. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

All I get out of this thread is that the pinnacle of diesel pickups was 2006.

ducnut and Saiyan66 like this.