1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest batch of HD diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

What's the word on the latest 2023 HD diesel trucks?

Between F250, Sierra HD 2500, and RAM's there seem to be a variety of choices. Turbo V8's Ford and GMC, turbo I6 for the RAM2500. Ten speed transmission for Ford and GMC, six speed for RAM. Lower level trim are about same price, north of 70K. Not crazy about that part, but what the hell.

Anyone has an isight who is the top dog between the latest HD trucks?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

First...F150's are not HD. They are 1/2 ton, and I don't believe they make a diesel in that flavor, and even if they did...it's a 3.0ish liter. So, who cares?

Ford 250's and 2500 Chevy/Ram are 3/4 ton

Ford 350 and 3500 Chevy/Ram are 1 Ton

They're all about 500Hp/950 ft/lbs of torque.

So, do like we all do.....read some reviews.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Best+diesel+pickup+2023

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Yeah, that was a typo. Comparing 250's and 2500's here. And I don't really trust the internet reviews, want real peoples opinions.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Well I'll be. After reading some of that link, I have to reconsider my vehicular desires. Seems like the ol' 7.3 ain't gonna die before the rest of these newer stinkers fart their way out of existence.

5axis likes this.
  5. Bull&Bear

Bull&Bear Member

For reference, I have a 2021 gmc 3500 with the 6.6 l5p. I got about 17k miles on it and I love the truck. The 10 speed is a nice transmission but I already blew one up and since I also deleted my truck, I have no warranty which costed me a new trans out of pocket.

They also just released trans tuning for the 10 speeds for Chevy/gmc so I’d imagine if it wasn’t released for Ford yet, it should be coming soon. I also did this to my truck and I can say that the trans tuning completely changed the driving for the better.

I haven’t driven the Ford or ram so I can’t comment on that but I can’t imagine picking any of them would be a bad choice.

6. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

2013 F350 Diesel dually crew cab long bed. 73000 miles almost all pulling a 42 ft 5th wheel toy hauler. Just went through hell with a turbo replacement....3 months after the 8 year warranty went poof. 4 grand. 2 re-manufactured turbos were shit and finally they put in an OEM new turbo. Haven't had a chance to put that thru its paces yet so fingers are crossed. I really liked the truck prior to this episode, now I'm sitting on the fence.

7. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Still daily driving my '15 Ram 2500 with Bluetooth emissions.. I have Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 Tradesman model (purposely sought it out because I didn't want the gimmicks) bought it in Jan19 with 74K on it and it now has about 146,500 on it. I drive it every day, and its been deleted since 90K miles. Only commenting because I recently drove a friends '21 model and its basically the same.

Maintenance has consisted of the following:
    Pads- Second time coming up this weekend
    Rotors- coming up this weekend
    Front Wheel bearings-@95K miles
    Rear U-joint at 115k ( I think its going out again)
    Transfer case output shaft seal (I think that's my fault maybe I damaged it when reinstalling the drive shaft after u-joint replacement)
    Tires at 130K (assuming it was the 3rd set put on)
    Obvious oil/filter and fuel filter changes..
    will need ball joints and tie rods soonish.

Truck has been rock solid. I DD the truck on the 150hp tune (gets the best MPG that way for some reason) I pull my toy hauler to the races on the 30hp tune. Trans seems "fine" for a 68rfe, although I wish I would have held out for a G56 model and put a twin disc in it..

Turning radius
    Engine bay is super easy to get around in for maintenance
    Parts aren't super pricey
    6 cylinders will be cheaper for injectors etc when they inevitably need replaced
    Cummins makes cool as noises when 4" straight stainless all the way to the rear bumper. (still on OEM intake setup because its actually good from factory)
    Trans is 1000X better if you have it tuned. I recently put the trans on the stock tune on accident and was reminded of how horrible it is.
    Exhaust brake sounds cool as shit

Dislikes:
    At some point the trans is gunna shit the bed.. Its just the way she goes.. Putting a little money aside for a stage 3 or something.. Or maybe a G56 swap because it doesn't seem all too bad to do.
    I am not strong and everything on these trucks is fucking HEAVY lol (same for all the heavy duty trucks prolly)
    I am also short and refuse to install running boards or steps.. eventually I'm gunna blow my knee out. lol
    I wish I had a G56 and the non electric transfer case.

Plans:
    Install a billet valvebody and deeper pan for the trans so I can run higher pressures and maybe keep the trans healthy longer.
    If I build or swap the trans I will also swap over to a 2nd gen setup as far as manifold/turbo combo. Like a Borg S366 or maybe even a S463 if I'm feeling like a dummy.. This way I can make the truck even more simple and easy to work on.
    Getting my wife to buy a newer BMW so I can just use the current one for a DD and park this damn school bus. lol

Again, i drove a '21 Ram 2500 recently and its honestly the same truck IMO.. this one had a better trim level and newer body panels... but other than that its the same.

I used to love DD'ing it, but now its getting kind of annoying. I want another 3rd gen 4Runner or something to DD instead.. Im used to having 3-4 vehicles, and I've downsized these last few years, and it gives me anxiety when I have to do maintenance. lol

Wheel Bearing and cav115 like this.
  8. Critter

Critter Registered

I just drive my old 7.3 or LLy's......These new fan dangled things scare the crap out of me

backbone and 5axis like this.
  9. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

If I had an old HD truck to keep driving, I probably would. My 19 F150 is struggling with a loaded 7x16 trailer, or the new boat. I mean it pulls it, plenty of power, just doesn't feel very planted on the highway.

The difference in approaches between the manufacturers is what spiked my interest. Otherwise it would of been who makes the best deal. I presume there is a big difference between a 10 speed and a 6 transmission. I6 vs V8 is also way different approaches. Is Cummins engine / transmission that great? And the price difference between trim levels is astounding. I also noticed that there is a bit of a weight difference between trim levels. Few hundred pounds.

Honestly, all the online reviews that I have seen so far feel like a pile of bullshit. And I question that the usual car salesdude will be able to give me non-scripted answers.

Am also considering buying a salvaged truck, and depleting some of the cash fixing it up vs. financing a new one. Financing a used one may be a happy medium.

10. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I think I hit you up a few years ago about bluetooth emissions. Mine ('16 as well) just had the CPO expire on it so I'm officially on my own. Honestly it's not a top priority at this very moment, and I need another project like I need (another) hole in my head. I'll get to it eventually. I'm just surprised there is no easily purchased "OEM-like quiet" bolt on exhaust for it after blue toothing it. That's the biggest thing probably stopping me now. I hate piecing stuff together and would prefer to have a package shipped and just bolt on and go. Mine sits unless I'm towing, so I'm just at 36k miles and *hopefully* not too worried about the DPF and shit since it's always getting a workout when it is used. I agree, I do hate the tuning of the stock transmission. I've learned how to drive it, but it's far from perfect.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

F-250 with 7.3L Godzilla.

Unless you’re pulling the thing, every single day, you’ll regret the diesel, once all the emissions crap starts acting up. You cannot daily them, because the DPF has to be kept at hot enough temperatures to keep it burned out. Sitting in traffic, going to the store, running here and there doesn’t get it hot enough. Relying on re-gens is not the way to do it. It’s why so many diesel have issues with them. They have higher initial purchase, operating, and maintenance costs, making them a tough choice for a daily. If you only use it to pull, then, it’s hard to justify the cost to have it sit, until it’s needed.

SuddenBraking and 10-15 like this.
  12. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

All three of the HD trucks are awesome vehicles in the comfort and capability categories. If you have the $$$ to spend you can't go wrong. Just don't kid yourself that any of your options will be cheap either in initial purchase or maintenance/replacement costs. The downside is that every year they get more complicated and less reliable it seems. All of them have more power than you will know what to do with. If you live in the rust belt then the Ford with its aluminum body might be an asset.

If you plan on modding the truck then you will have transmission issues with all of them at some point. If you keep it stock, my family has had really good luck with the 68RFE in the Ram trucks. Over 200k miles on two different trucks that tow often with zero issues. Be smart and watch your trans temps and get an auxillary cooler if needed. The Aisin is a good trans too, but you cannot tune it and the maintenance intervals are short.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

That did cross my mind. My towing trips currently are about once a month, about 650 miles round trip. Maybe a 250 gas truck will fit the bill better. Rest of my driving are random shorter trips.

14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I first read the title of this as Harley Davidson...

15. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Cold day in hell if I start shopping for one of them.

YamahaRick and ducnut like this.
  16. sdg

sdg *

Did it eat the clutch housing? Just read about that. How much did that cost if you don't mind telling

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Is the beer can bed on the 250/350? I thought only the wannabe pick’m’up was built with recycled FZR400 frames.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I keep looking...cuz these threads always make me hafta check things (Ya happy, Mr. egg? :D), so I thought I'd share some prices for my "online" Ford builds.

F350 XL Supercab 4x4 dually, 6.8 Godzilla, 8' bed, alu wheels, 4.30 LSD(rear), limited options associated with utilitarian use (I have no interest in electronic nanny features or leather) - $56640.
    Same as above, but XLT and 7.3 Godzilla - $60090.

Why these considerations? The Supercab has a tighter turning radius and shorter overall length than my current Crewcab 8' diesel dually. I have no use for those four full-size doors and the gas motors out-power/out-tow the 7.3 diesel which, while an excellent engine, is a temperamental bitch during the winter and I'm not doing, nor expect, a worthwhile amount of heavy, long distance towing. It's also only 2wd and diesel fuel is stupidly priced.

Some day, there may be a low mileage (<110K) Lariat LE in the classifieds here. Who doesn't want a 7.3 diesel with four leather captains chairs? Oh, and none of that diesel emissions BS. Can't find that in today's trucks anywhere.

malamute and ducnut like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

THT has a bunch of threads, featuring the 7.3L Godzilla. This is just a quick find talking about pulling way bigger and heavier stuff than you’re looking to do. Boats catch a bunch of wind, along with their weight.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/1259562-22-f250-7-3-godzilla-tow-power.html

20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Well, that review is suspect. The upcharge to go to a 6.7 diesel in a f250 is $10K.