1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roebling

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I just wait to see what the majority says and then jump on the pile.

2. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Get an ambulance bill lately?Lots of private equity firms have invested in ambo companies. Pretty sure they're doin ok.

3. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Not me..I always pull the other way..regardless of the outcome or consequences within the beeb herd ..Im a lone wolf howling on a cliff.. a69efc11199b6b2a5dfb983ba66b42d0.jpg

Cooter! and Ducman851 like this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You don't want to red flag the race eevery time you roll an ambulance because restarts are dangerous als
    You don't want to red flag the race every time you roll an ambulance because restarts are dangerous also, not to mention the time issue.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And the guy who gets taken out by a rider losing the front under brakes into a corner had no culpability for anything that happened in that incident…except for that whole assumption of risk.

Is there a line where assumption of risk is no longer applicable? Do you want to be the respondent in exploring that inevitability?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    cav115 likes this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Ok good, we are all on the same page. You agree there is a line, however fuzzy it may be.

7. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

And Jalopnik has picked up the video now. I’m a little surprised it took this long.

8. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Yes there is a limit to "assumption of risk" as a defense to liability. We are deemed to assume the ordinary and customary risks of racing like falling down, running off the track, and getting taken out accidentally by another rider. A slow moving ambulance that slowly crosses the track at 90 degrees to the direction of travel, at one of the fastest areas on track, with no warning flags, is not, it seems to me, something we should expect as a customary risk of racing on track.

tl1098, drop, Lazy Destroyer and 6 others like this.
  9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

It`s not customary..neither is going 140.....you are voluntarily raising your risk level.

But it is human; regardless of how messed up it is.

It was an accident. That the race org does an awesome job controlling almost always, but nothing is perfect.

Wera does an excellent job, and I have always been satisfied with the way they operate.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sure. Slip Skidmore who ran one too many sprint races on that front tire should have changed it before grabbing a handful and a half of brembo-powered deceleration lever, but noooo, and now your fancy assed unobtanium-festooned racing motosickle has become confetti, your custom racing suit looks like Tom Hanks’ outfit when he played with a bloody volleyball, and you’re sipping applesauce through a hole in your abdomen in order to keep your organs functioning until they can be most profitably marketed.

Assumption of risk, or negligent homicide?

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Line ain’t fuzzy…

Line is constantly shifting depending on who’s pocket is getting picked and how expensive the law firm is…

Schleprock at (was it) ‘Goona who couldn’t keep his bike on track and sued everyone but the estate of Mother Teresa got his just desserts. What about the next guy?

cav115 likes this.
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not sure the org but I have Canadian friends that attend a semi-private event. We made a point to tell all the new ones the difference in a red flag to avoid chaos. My understanding is the race org in Ontario region does it. They told me it is go to the nearest corner worker and wait until directed to move. I could see issues with it just as there is with the clear at a reasonable speed rule. For instance some Beavis piling into the parked bikes due to wet grass. Or if you stay on the pavement clogging the track. In the end there is no perfect system.

13. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

As someone who got taken out at Daytona last week due to a rider crashing inside of me, These are two monumentally different scenarios.

Continue your theoretical argument, please.

FWIW, I think the had a fresh tire on there. :Poke:

E Reed, BrentA and Michael Hausknecht like this.
  14. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

Thankfully I haven't... The prospect of what you describe is genuinely concerning.

15. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Isn't the rider getting all those luscious internet points for his now viral video? That should cover the cost of a new Lambo, right Whistlin' Gixxer?

Shenanigans and grapemustard like this.
  16. itsasickness

itsasickness Member

I still haven't seen the video from the second bike. That one was pulled shorty after it was posted. Im sure its just as, if not more terrifying since he actually clipped the truck .

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

No. Going 140mph is an expected situation in a race. Encountering an ambulance stopped in the middle of a hot track with no flags prior is not. Don't equate the two. The former is required in the rulebook ("no touring" rules) and the latter is prohibited in the rulebook (many very clear rules about track entry, track crossings, and flag procedures).

The matter at hand is not a judgment of WERA's, RRR's, or the EMT's overall capabilities or operational procedures. It is a specific situation involving a specific mistake. Separate the two - it is entirely possible, and common, for good people and good companies who do good work to screw up. It doesn't mean they're suddenly bad people or that they do bad work, but it does mean that they need to do what they can to fix their mistake.

AJ, ToddClark, OldGuyOnBlu and 6 others like this.
  18. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that some people are upset the individuals will be retaining/exploring legal counsel. :whoosh::whoosh::whoosh:

drop likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did she not hold the coffee between her legs?
    Going 140 is not customary on a racetrack? I pray Sean and Ev are wise enough not to hire you for the legal proceedings if it comes to that. :D

AJ, ToddClark, cav115 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I had a ringside seat to that from inside T1.
    Bummed when I saw it was you.
    Nice stoppie.

Gino230 likes this.