1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roebling

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Always comes down to the bottom feeders.

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I don't disagree. The reality is you're dealing with essentially volunteers (pretty sure all anybody got was free lunch back in the day), and the level of professionalism is going to be represented by the pay scale. So whether it's race control, corner workers, or the ambulance service, I'm absolutely going to keep unexpected things in the back of my mind. How many times have you seen mistakes (even stupid ones) at the GP level? Corner workers who have no idea how to manage a crash scene, race control making inconsistent calls...people are fallible. It's definitely a lot to consider when you're trying to eke out a few tenths off your lap time. Kudos to the racer who snuck past the front, as he still had good reflexes to go left, but I'm wondering if he saw the box moving before it entered the track, and didn't consider that it would keep going. You shouldn't NEED to consider that....and yet, you shouldn't have to worry about hitting a giant turtle walking across the track, but it happened. It's been eons since I've been out there, but I'm sure a lot of the old timers can confirm all sorts of incidents with ambulances. I've seen guys actually using the ambulance to draft on the straight, and passing close enough to knock the mirrors off.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Can we please stop talking about lawsuits. Please.

4. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

I’m seeing lots of dumbasses on FB sharing the vid and making a bunch of ill-informed comments. All anyone should be doing is praying that these riders can be made whole and happy without a f*cking lawsuit. Idk, maybe the people posting don’t race and don’t give a shit if anyone else does either. Clearly a mistake, it’s not like anyone had malicious intent.

5. 418

418 Expert #59

There's people on here and social media that low key want this situation turning nasty.

And they have nothing to do with what happened and weren't even there.

AJ, Dragginass and Shenanigans like this.
  6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So essentially par for the course on social media.

7. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

I saw an article posted from RoadracingWorld, written by David Swartz, that said one of the riders (the one that hit the rear of the ambulance) wouldn’t comment on anything as he was retaining legal counsel.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/new...PtKd6rdul9PIYMmURLTO0YKyHbX40&mibextid=ykz3hl

MELK-MAN and Circacee like this.
  8. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

I really hope that isn’t the case. Even somewhat well meaning plaintiffs can unleash a sequence of unanticipated events once lawyers get involved.

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

If I were less diplomatic I might say something like fuck them up the ass without lubrication or a kiss. But I’m not, so I didn’t. :cool:

Gino230, ToofPic, YamahaRick and 4 others like this.
  10. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Might get flamed for this...

How are we "ok" with telling the two individuals not to chase after what they deem is right after almost losing their lives? No one, I mean NO ONE, knows what those two poor bastards felt during that moment. I'd hate to see the result of a large lawsuit but if it were me, we're going after anyone and everyone that had fault in the situation. I ride motorcycles at the track to get away from stupid shit like cars pulling out in front of me, now I have to play frogger on the track? Yeah, fuck that.

I hope the two dudes get whatever they feel is right. Whether its a whole new bike, gear or a large settlement. They almost died and it's on video. An attorneys dream.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would guess that legal council is going to be pretty much required for all involved. You know the insurance companies will have them and it probably wouldn't be smart to sign anything they gave you without an attorney looking it over. The question is more along the lines of can they work out a reasonable settlement out of court or not.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There are and were plenty of track personnel and officials right there at all times to prevent that or the currently popular "what if they sneak out by tech" theory. None of this incident has a thing to do with the usual security of the gates for attendees of an event.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Its our new reality Matt. Every SOB on FB, Instagram, TikTok has an opinion these days. Nothing wrong with opinions, till the misinformed ones push the facts around the corner and out of sight. So, in another opinion, mine, that’s what’s happening in this event. Hysteria over facts…yes please, and would you supersize it.

ToofPic, Shenanigans and 418 like this.
  14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

this. the riders would be stupid to not seek legal counsel - everyone else involved in the conversation will have it. let's not vilify them for realizing they'll get demolished trying to navigate this on their own.

it's not "greedy" to protect themselves. let's also hope they don't get actually greedy, but let's not assume that "getting a lawyer" means they will.

AJ, Gino230, Jon Wilkens and 7 others like this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Shitty situation for sure, but no one fucking died so this is far from a tragedy. Should they be made whole on everything that was damaged? Of course. But what purpose does suing everyone's eyeballs out serve? To drive home a point and try to make sure mistakes never happen again? Good luck with that. Racing is inherently dangerous for many reasons, and there are a shit ton of moving parts at an event that I'm sure most of us don't even consider. Grasping for a large settlement from all angles just because is fucking stupid and myopic. If someone's hurt or killed and can't provide for themselves or their family, fine, pay them. I'm sure there are insurances in place for those scenarios. But just blindly suing isn't helpful to anyone.

Dragginass likes this.
  16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

And if it comes to that, I'll be the first fucking guy in line to donate to the WERA legal fund.

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

That's because the problem was staring them in the face.
    [​IMG]

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We talked about it a lot and I still being up the story of a video I saw of a deer actually jumping over Tim Bemisderfer during a race.

I know it will never prevent the bambis totally but we absolutely appreciate the taller fence.

19. drop

drop Well-Known Member

That waiver won't cover neglect. And where are your facts coming from?

20. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Waivers, prospective or retroactive, expressly do cover negligence and are regularly enforced. The article I referenced indicates as much in Georgia. Stated more rhetorically, if they did not cover negligence they wouldn't cover anything and wouldn't be used. The facts I summarized are from a FB post by a racer who was there and who, incidentally, works at RRR. Obviously, if the actual facts differ materially from what I've described, the analysis and likely outcome will as well.