1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk car tires

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Mar 20, 2023.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I need to get new tires for the wife's car. 2018 mazda 6 grand touring, Currently has Yokohama advan a/s's on it. They weren't bad but never did that great in the rain and were pretty noisy.
    What's everyone go to tires. I know this is like asking what's the best pie flavor.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Apple.

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Damn, Apple tires are the new bomb? F1 like grip, 100k miles before they wear out, and the best thing is Apple pays you as the vehicle owner 20k a year to own them? I kid, I kid ask Triumph right?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm running Pilot Sport All Season 4's
    Really like them .
    Bought them from Tire Rack and got a $100 gift card from Michelin

BigBird and Waterboy like this.
  5. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Had good luck with Falken, Michelin are the best, but expensive.

R/T Performance likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Discount Tire ... got one nearby?

Currently running a sale on Pirellis ... I like the P7 All Season. 70K mile warranty.

7. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

No discount tires nearby. It seems if you buy tires from tire rack or anywhere shops wants $150 to install them.

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Michelin is always the answer.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ahh no. Making generalizations about a tire company with a large range of products in this day and age doesn't work. You need to do the homework to find the best product in the application that works for you first. And you may be surprised to find a better product at a better price that exceeds your expectations and you hadn't even consider the brand

WillMill likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Michelins if you have the money.

Pirellis are just not all that great anymore. Too “squirrelly” in the wet, have no feel and they just wear weird.

I’m a big fan of continental but they are close to Michelin priced and weird felling but I love ‘em. Like frogs skins in grip but riding on a marshmallow.

dunlops? Crap!

ChemGuy likes this.
  11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

I used to run Continental Extreme Contacts on my A6 4.2. Really good tire, but they wear a little fast.

Switched to Michelin A/S 3, now replaced by A/S 4. Much better tire. Doesn’t feel as heavy, not as loud, and has great wet weather grip.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Figure out what's important to you. For me, I want a tire that excels when it's shitty out and has equal or better ratings for when it's not. Comfort (noise/ride) and mileage are also important. Money is secondary.

I check out TireRack's "in category" tire ratings to see what's at the top of the list. Then I go to YouTube to see if the Tubers say the same thing and to hear what they say about other brands they mention in comparison. (I don't put much stock in TireRack's customer reviews).
    Michelin is almost always at the top in all categories and, sometimes, by a long shot. Expensive? Maybe not if they last longer...and they do have good mileage ratings to go with all their other great attributes.

Look at quality tires (whoevers) this way - paying for a better tire is an one-time insurance premium. $10 tires won't hold the road if you ever really need them to...
    How much is peace of mind worth for your family and property? It's priceless.

Also, new tires? New alignment - to ensure getting the best mileage out of 'em.

A long, long time ago, I let "the salesman" sell me a set of (inexpensive/less expensive) tires for an irreplaceable car. They failed me when I needed them most. The car was a total loss. Never again. Tires are the one piece of equipment most responsible for the well-being of your properly functioning vehicle when shit goes sideways. Don't cheap out. Same goes for motorcycles - no Cheng Shins!

R1Racer99 likes this.
  13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Another generalization about a brand. And you might be referring to an OE spec on a vehicle where the suggested Pirelli replacement for the vehicle is hugely better. As I said do the homework

Razr likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, bought ‘em after and from an AD for 2 cars and was able to return ‘em within 45 minutes both times.

4 on an A3 and 4 on a Mazda CX-9.

Don’t remember the exact tires but the A3 they felt like cement. On the C they wouldn’t stop, at all, in light rain.

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Driver error or you actually bought tyres from one of Winnie The Poo's factories.

I've bought many sets of Pirellis and love them.

16. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I always buy Michelins from ntb dont know the model name but they’re 80,000 mile tires and I always get 80,000 miles out of them. NTB usually runs sales that you can get a $100-$200 rebate for buying 4 tires.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I can’t remember the brand of tires I just got for the Lavender Lube-Burner, they were recommended to me by one of the shops I deal with. Off-brand, inexpensive (comparably) and holy sheet these things dig in for plowing or shit driving conditions.

Best performing snow tire I’ve ever used, and I’m a guy who starches his shorts over a new set of Blizzaks.

Don’t write off some of the lesser-known (lesser-hyped, fanboi promoted) brands, there are definitely some diamonds in the rough, but do your research and get info from trusted sources, not your sister’s cousin’s uncle’s landscaper’s hairdresser’s niece.

And as much as it pains me to give the stinkfuel turncoat props, everything @fastfreddie said was true. Shit tires are shit tires, and if they ain’t doing the job, when they need to, well, I hope the ditch is soft.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

North or South of the Mason Dixon?
    All of the all seasons are crap and will make noise and scallop.
    If you Need an all season because of snow and ice there’s no way around it.
    In the south a rib tire will perform much better and last longer.
    Can look when I get to the shop and recommend some specifics that are available.
    We are a General repair and Service Center, but do sell quite a few tires to Customers to keep them out of Discount tires and Costco…
    If you travel with that car a lot, want the best Mileage most of the time Michelin is the best answer. But not always. Have had really good lunch with some much cheaper tires with similar or greater tread wear warranty’s.

Look at the tires coming off, if they are worn evenly and the car drives good don’t let the 15$ a hour Yahoo at Wally World align it….

19. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I run Cooper Ultra Touring and like them a lot. Cheaper than Michelin but quiet and great in rain. The shop that does all of our fleet tires said they get less call backs on Cooper than any other tire they install, including Michelin

sanee and r6fast like this.
  20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I also have been happy with Cooper's on my previous exploder. Daughter has the car now and she's hauling my grandkids around in it so I'd be concerned otherwise.