1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roebling

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For Immediate Release

On March 19th in the Open Superstock race at Roebling Road Raceway, there was was an incident on the front straight involving an ambulance and two riders. The ambulance was leaving the track to transport an injured rider from an earlier incident. Due to a miscommunication between the ambulance driver and race officials the ambulance crossed in front of two motorcycles. Both riders did fall but walked away from the crash. WERA is investigating what led to this incident and will be instituting any necessary changes to prevent the same thing from happening in the future.

2. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

Current procedure, has been for a while

Attached Files:

TurboBlew and tophyr like this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Once lawyers and insurance companies get involved, it may turn to shit for all of us if insurance premiums go up, or they refuse to insure race events because of this. All it takes is some lawyer to get greedy and go after some outrageous amount of money by suing WERA, the track, the ambulance service company, and anyone else they can think of, and it can go south for our sport. In an ideal world, if that post from William P is accurate in what happened, then the ambulance company should pay for the damage that those 2 guys sustained. Nothing more, nothing less. No need for a crazy high figure payout, but their bikes and medical expenses should be covered in full.

Laz, grapemustard, ToofPic and 3 others like this.
  4. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

and those bikes, gear plus their medical expenses can be 6+ figures easily. Fact is WERA is responsible to train the EMS crew about specifics involving the ambulance crossing the track and the EMS crew should understand how to do their job at the track. No waiver can protect against negligence and whether WERA or the EMS crew was negligent someone is going to get sued at the end of the day and rightfully so if they don't do whatever makes things right for the riders involved.

drop likes this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

but from a prior post, from someone who was there, and said "when we were in our car waiting to get across the track, there was no marshal at the gate".. doesn't matter where the ambo was, from some accounts, there was nobody attending the gate to ensure it wasn't lifted and stop vehicles from crossing a hot track.

sanee and ToofPic like this.
  6. MELK-MAN

i think we can agree with what you say, to a certain extent.. but i would also argue that when you are racing on a track, with any reputable racing organization, no racer, i mean NONE, should be going on the track every time, having to be thinking "OK, I NEED TO WATCH OUT FOR FUKIN VEHICLES CROSSING OUR HOT TRACK DURING THIS RACE"..
    none. ever. just my 2c. i could be wrong. But racing is a serious discipline, requiring your full 100% focus, balancing your check book, problems with the significant other, business problems.. and certainly possible cars crossing the track, need to be OUT of your head to do this with any relative safety.

ToddClark, mglax13, cosan and 13 others like this.
  7. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Sued for what? If they were uninjured, other than bikes and gear what are you going to sue for, mental anguish? Loss of points and trophies? Nobody has denied liability of their damages anyway. Bullshit like that is why this sport is already so expensive.

Laz, Michael Hausknecht, 418 and 2 others like this.
  8. Barry Savoie

Barry Savoie Member

Don't forget nuclear power. we analyzed in depth how the mistake was made to prevent it from re occuring.

Dragginass and tophyr like this.
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And now for something marginally on topic...

My wife has a very good friend from Savannah. Her dad has been a CW at Roebling for years, I know for SCCA, but I think he works WERA as well. Last name is Wells. Then again, I may be wrong.

10. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

IMO, this eventually boils down to how much the two racers love roadracing. If they love the sport and are compensated for the cost of the bikes, riding gear and any incidentals and are cool with that, all will be good and corrective actions will be implemented for future races. If they are greedy and looking for a big payday than all bets are off and who knows what the eventual outcome will be.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Who is going to pay for the bikes and gear is probably where the lawsuit would come from. Two r1 race bikes especially one that just was finished a few days before the accident aren't exactly cheap.

12. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I'm feeling the love...

Gonna head on down to the local Ferrari dealership and put a deposit on a yeller one. Should be ready once I win or lose the case. :D

tl1098, Circacee and Shenanigans like this.
  13. MELK-MAN

totally agree that the riders should have their torn up bikes and gear paid for.. medical bills if any.. but problem i see with this, is , it would be admitting fault on part of who ever paid these bills. If an agreement could be made to not sue/take further action, maybe someone would pay ? (not a lawyer, just thinkin out loud..)

R/T Performance and Hawk518 like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The Art of the steal.

Shenanigans likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If you were licensed in Minneshitholia, I’d have a PI case for you, slam dunk. Emphasis on the slam part.

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Even if you estimate very very high: $50k to each racer for bike, gear and incidentals. $100k total layout is peanuts compared to what possibly could happen.

Dragginass, sbk1198 and ToofPic like this.
  17. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

Exactly. I haven’t ever known an ambulance corp to be flush with cash, so I have to imagine they will defer to their auto insurance and I’m sure said insurance will fight like hell to not have to pay.

But then when it comes time for the annual rate adjustment I don’t think they’ll be so concerned about what happened as much as what could have happened.

18. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I had a race at Road Atlanta once where we had to stop for deer on the track.The entire race I was scared shitless looking for deer!! The ambulance would definitely be fucking with my head after that!!There needs to be two sets of eyes on that crossing in the future! Both need to agree on a safe crossing,regardless of radio contact,if the ball gets dropped again.

PlayHard likes this.
  19. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

The issue with that,is the time lapse of these two racers getting to race,and shit fixed.It could drag on for years,and racers wanna race!

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I just hope the kid that was driving the flashy box doesn’t get spooked off and quit. It’s hard enough to get help, would really suck if he got scared off, or worse.