1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roebling

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Mar 19, 2023.

1. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. But they'll consult a lawyer first. So it'll take time. In the meantime, speculation and rumors galore!

2. 172Driver

172Driver Member

This is bloody insane and makes me sick to my stomach. Everyone involved is very, very lucky to be alive, including the medics

3. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I watched it happen. I was cleaning up pieces of my bike from the earlier crash in 9, when I heard a bang, puff of smoke and dust and DB going flying. My first thought was wtf? How could someone fuck up at the start finish. It just didn't compute, then the dust cleared and I saw the ambulance clearly and my stomach sank. I hobbled over to see that DB was up and moving and then I heard about the second bike that hit the front. Insane, absolutely insane.

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

A 2nd bike hit the front? I thought he went right and cleared?

5. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

No, just the 1 on video

6. ToofPic

:(

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Wow.

Someone needs a change of job title at a minimum.

8. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

God damn. How does that happen?? Happy to hear it wasn’t worse.

9. ToofPic

And..reading the comments and Dumb fuck Johnny Cook is weighing in being the wera vulture shit eater he is

10. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Between this and the spectator that rode his motorcycle opposite direction, during a race, at Talladega a few years ago... Very thankful no one was seriously injured or worse in both incidents.

I've always hated that Roebling crossing, and the pit exit even. I had a dumbass rider head across the track just like this once then make a 90 degree turn to the right to get on the racing line during practice. I passed him on the right side on my first flying lap. Missed him by about the same amount as this video but on the right so stayed on track.

11. Barry Savoie

Barry Savoie Member

I was also there. Pitted next to Dwane. This wasn’t an isolated incident.
    Several times the day before on Saturday’s races, within a few seconds of the red flag going out, both the ambulance and crash truck headed out onto the track, these times out the back side onto turn 4/5 area with several riders still coming around the track. I literally said to everyone around me at the time that this was an accident waiting to happen.

Just speaking from my personal experience racing with CCS, they brief us riders to get back into the pits as quickly as possible so the ambulance can be sent out, it’s not sent out until all bikes are off track. At least it’s that way at NJMP.

mglax13, RyGuy7, DmanSlam and 2 others like this.
  12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

No need for all bikes to be off track, but all CW's need to radio that riders have come off race pace and are waving/aware it's a red flag before sending EMS out on the track.

13. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Wow man, sheesh! Good to hear you are alive, as well as the other rider. This almost seems unreal.
    As a firefighter I get the need to transport, adrenaline pumping, urgency to deliver patient, etc. but as someone who frequents the track and the required driver training we must have in the state I live, due to an incident involving a young girl 20 years ago, this should never happen.

Whatever the condition is, since responding units are not in IDLH situation is to think rationally and wait until track is confirmed clear, or clear to cross as all bikes/riders on the track have acknowledged the situation and backed way, way off and prepared to encounter this before attempting to enter the track.

I know someone said their friend was on the ambulance being transported, which I am sorry to hear and of course depending on condition minutes can matter, but there are specific protocols and strict rules that must be followed to avoid patient in route, others and the first responders from becoming an even bigger scene with even worse injuries or putting the transported patient in more risk.
    I am not sure if they said, "We have to deliver this patient before it becomes or could be worse" assuming the right away, which in my mind, as we are taught, is gross negligence.

MattTries, VFR#52 and voss555 like this.
  14. I’d not assume anything at this point with the exception of what we can pull together from the video.
    I’d assume they’d have to file a claim against their insurance and not just fork over cash. I’d also assume they’ve a,ready been on the phone with their lawyer due to the nature of the incident and the fact that somewhere in their system they had a major breakdown. We can all hope this costs them as little as possible to get it sorted and put actions in place so it never happens again. Being an engineer and spending 20 plus years making automotive gas tanks something like an ambulance crossing without a doubt should have at a minimum 2 signals to approve the crossing and ideally one that would prevent a crossing until activated by who ever makes the call for a safe crossing ie 100% cold track, and I’m going to go out on a limb here and speculate driver saw the checkers and assumed that means race over track is cold. Couple I’ve seen are simple light duty gates like in parking garages, stop lights, a human (not the best but it’s something).
    You want incidents like these to drive to make sure the measures are put in place to ensure it cannot happen again, right your wrongs and not bankrupt a track as that just hurts us all.

William Schneider and boxcrash like this.
  15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Sending the ambulance and crash truck out with bikes on track under a red or after the checkered is completely normal and I would be shocked if CCS doesn't do it also. Maybe trackdays don't or they don't at njmp specifically because the state runs it. But every other race org does because it's needed for the downed riders and it's the only way to get through the day on time. For example with AHRMA this weekend they had multiwaves and 40+ bikes on track at once. So if I'm laying there hurt during a red if they wait for everyone to get into the pits after the red that is a long ass time vs safely rolling the bus.
    It was also normal in the past to send ambulances on track during races with the ambulance flags waving..
    The situation obviously was not the same at roebling with it crossing a hot track of course.

YamRZ350 likes this.
  16. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Sort of reads like you guys would be surprised to find yourself in a race and at race speed with an ambulance on track. Lol. There's a reason the ambulance flag exists.

Don't know what happened in this case, just commenting on the previous posts.

Eskimo likes this.
  17. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

In my 50+ years going to race tracks. the video depicts the scariest, most dangerous PREVENTABLE hazard I have ever seen. I've raced with crash trucks and ambulances on track, with appropriate flags displayed, but this is a whole 'nother thing,

ToofPic, Gino230, TurboBlew and 5 others like this.
  18. mad8vskillz

mad8vskillz Member

i worked at millvile rescue doing fire and tow at njmp. for cars hot pulls were perfectly normal.
    for bikes we would roll behind the last rider. so not wating for them to get off track but following them. under some extreme conditions (or someone running the red...) we may have gone a bit earlier but would have stayed off track as much as possible and been moving.

this dude was crawling across the track and didnt even have his lights on. the barriers dont help either cause there's nowhere to go and less visibility

MrGooch, TurboBlew, Eskimo and 3 others like this.
  19. cornbread421

cornbread421 Well-Known Member

Wow this in some way should be a compensation of mental and physical attributes. Glad everyone is ok but really wth WERA/Roebling

20. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Under red would it be more plausible for riders to roll off and stop at nearest marshall station,roll the ambulance and then return to hot pit or pit in after ambo clears track?