1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've heard those are supposed to be okay for gravel, but I wouldn't expect them to be that confidence inspiring. Regardless it does take some getting use to a big bike on loose stuff. I almost feel like I have to get into the zone, where I'm riding a bit too fast to make the bike slide around more than normal just to get that feel for the terrain.

I've used a good selection of 60/40ish tires and I prefer these if you are looking for suggestions:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...Xo4gxOaOADV5Zu_6UFI3VylrAr7ZAIChoCYVQQAvD_BwE

I can't remember if the GSA is 21" front or not. My 1190 is 19"fr/17"rr. My buddy's R1200GS uses the same size tires.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

that's really scary. I just hoped for the best when I was mountain biking out there. I ended up breaking a chain at the furthest point away from the trailhead, and came close to running out of daylight actually following the trail. It would suck to be mistakenly led down a "fake" path

5axis likes this.
  3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

A friend of mine did it last year on his VStrom 650 with his wife on the back.

acorn27 likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm 19/17. Those Mitas are the same tire my son was running on his Tenere. I even have a spare set in the shed. I do too much road to put them on.

I figure it's as simple as I don't like gravel roads. The Multi looks fun and I've found a few 12-14's in great condition for pretty cheap, with recent service. But I know the 1050 V Strom would be anvil reliable with minimal care. That appeals to me. I'm looking to retire in about a year and the first thing I want to do is a lap of America. I wouldn't have a care in the world on the Strom.

cBJr likes this.
  5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Hot bucket of tar and a couple of feather pillows...

cBJr, 5axis and brex like this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You're too kind.

7. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

T7 on Smokey Mountain 500 is eminently doable, and fun. The road sections on a WR will be tiring, and the bigger bike will be more comfortable overall, particularly if you are carrying gear and camping. But, if you are somewhat unsure in technical stuff on the T7, by all means be safe and take the WR - overall being comfortable with your bike in a situation results in a much better riding experience, despite vibration or seating.

Cheers,

Dave

Britt, acorn27 and turner38 like this.
  8. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'm sure that's significantly less than the 890 and 1190 models though.

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

yeah for sure, but the question was about a bike better than a WR450 as a dual sport.

10. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

It depends upon what you want to do as "dual sport." There are a lot of interpretations as to what that means to different folks.

I now have 2 dual sports: a 2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro and a KTM 500 EXC. I've had a KLR 650, a KTM 400 EXC and a series of Honda XR650R's - all "dual sports." The big bike and the small bike cover just about everything I want to do vis-a-vis adventure/dual sport riding. BDR's, TAT, single track, gravel roads, Baja, loaded with camping gear, hoteling, day trips, multi-week trips . . . you name it.

If you have only one "dual sport" bike and you want to do single track, then a small bike, i.e., WR450, is the way to go. But, riding that bike exclusively for a week or more with camping gear on a BDR or the TAT where there is considerable road work involved, will be a significant compromise. If you're young, and an ex-Dakar or Baja or Vegas-to-Reno rider, then perhaps a bigger bike will suit you. I'm no longer young, and the 40 year warranty on body parts is expiring at 65, so while I love the Super Enduro and all of its bad-assness, the KTM 500EXC with its electric start has replaced my kick start only XR650R ex-Baja race bikes. And while KLR 650's are dead nuts reliable and will go everywhere - just drop into 1st gear and chug chug along, they are heavy pigs. Jus' sayin' . . . .

So, a little introspection and intellectual honesty about what one wants and can accomodate goes a long way. Regardless, go ride and enjoy!

Cheers,

dave

SuddenBraking and cBJr like this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That was something else.

Thanks for posting.

12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

What a typical 4- stroke top end costing these days...( A shop ..not me!) basically a rebuild as needed on let's say a Old KLR or Honda XR etc .
    I'm guessing about 3k ? For a quality OEM valvetrain etc .
    I try to plan ahead.....but thinking a low mileage KLR...just might be a lifetime bike...
    I have Zero interest in KTM,BMW etc. Great machines, but I'm queer for Japanese machinery...
    What I really really would ❤️ would be " low mileage" 85 single carb XL350 Screenshot_20230309-185512.png

13. fastfreddie

What would make you think it needs a top end? It's not a two stroke and, unless it's been abused/neglected, air-cooled four strokes are pretty under stressed.
    Water-cooled four strokes can be $$$$ cuz they're built with tighter tolerances.

14. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I'm not buying anything this was just hypothetical question the reason I ask is have some friends that have four stroke dirt bikes and they say they go through top ends once a year yeah I know though it's Motocross and stuff but they were complaining about they miss the old two strokes how simple it was..
    So perhaps the dirt bikes or a little more High strung and tend to wear out faster? Hell I don't know... I've never had one

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Perhaps they mean, They go thru and Adjust the Valves Once a Year...that's about all there is that needs adjusting besides the drive chain..

16. fastfreddie

If they're going through the top end every race season, they need to learn to quit bouncing them things off the rev limiter every time they get air. Completely ruins four strokes engines.

My 426 is a 2000 model year I bought new and never so much as loosened a head bolt. I've popped the valve covers periodically and they never needed adjustment. It's been SX-ed in the sands of FL, desert raced and MX-ed in AZ, trailed in PA and you know what it's never had done to it intentionally? That's right - bounced off the limiter. It's been bounced off the ground, bounced me off the ground, both it and me pounded into the ground, slammed into a wall in a dry creek end-over-end and dropped from altitude, but never, never, ever have I intentionally over-revved it.

Gas, oil, air/oil filters, chains, sprockets and tires. When things go wrong you can add pegs, pedals, levers and bars. :D

Seriously. It sits in the garage ready to ride to this day. I can't tell you how many hundred hours are on it, it's been 23+ years since I first fired it up. It's still as violent as it ever was. In fact, it's probably more so due to the finely worn mechanisms having meshed so harmoniously over time...they know each other very well.

I'm happy for the two stroke guys that get time/mileage out of their engines and it's probably a testament to modern materials and machining, and not peggin' the throttle WFO for no good reason - crankshafts don't like that.

I'd be willing to bet that all motorcycle engine failures are operator induced. Be careful whom you buy from. Instead of judging the bike, judge the rider. It's not the engine that's the problem.

17. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

I've put 51K miles on my 07 DL1000 and love Vstroms. I keep trying to find a reason to hate it and get something else, but it's simply a great bike. There's something about the L-twin and 270 crank that I just love. No ADV bike IMO, but a solid sport-touring ride. I've never tried the 650 and I believe they sold two or three 650s for every 1000. If you're truly going to stay on the street, I would recommend a late model DL1000 and skip the 1050 parallel twin. I've looked hard at the Ducs but they just seem like too much work/expense. Good luck!

rd400racer likes this.
  18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

The DL1000 can be a great adventure bike. Reliable, great engine, all day comfortable on long hauls. Put some tires on it, soften up the suspension and turn down some gravel and dirt paths. Porky offroad, but that is a rider skill thing. BMW GS's set the bar when it comes to pork offroad.

Years ago I rode with a guy who took a DL1000 over Mosquito Pass in Colorado. Mosquito has rock ledges, boulder fields, . . . it is the real deal. I was on a Honda XR650R ex-Baja race bike turned dual sporter, and Mosquito gave me all I wanted. I watched in amazment as this guy (admittedly from Montrose, CO - Mosquito Pass was in his backyard), ripped, snorted, bounced and carreend thru and over rubble and baby head fields and ledges. It was a lesson in throttle control, balance and line selection. Awesome. Sure, the guy was an excellent rider, but the point is it can be done. I can assure you that when we turned onto pavement at the end of the trail, he was far more comfortable and long gone from me on my big thumper.

Cheers,

Dave

turner38 likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I might have inquired about this before, but I forget… Anyway, my BIL is considering an adventure bike. He has no riding experience. Easy to ride is first criteria, very affordable as well. Riding mostly roads in midwest. Recommendations? My first thought is KLR650.