1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

2. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

Dilemma. My range / dealer has an X Five Legion, a Mete and a Rival in stock.

what’s my move?

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

All of them.....GG approved!

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

In 9mm, a Commander size (4.25" barrel) is appropriate. In .45ACP, nothing less than a full-size 5" barrel. They share identical full-size frames.
    Should you, thereafter, decide to try those "toy" guns with gazillion round magazines, plastic tolerances and, as our own wonder gunner GG said, "spray and pray" precision, you will have familiarity with the standardized gauge by which all other pistols are judged. ;)

S Tsotsoros and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

You refer to “toy” guns but start your case referring to a 9mm 1911…dafuq?

If you’re going to put on your white New Balance and yell at the kids on your lawn you can’t let the one little Jerry’s kid hang out.

Edit…that last drink was a little stuff and I’m not sure that makes sense. Let me try again. A 1911 in anything but Gods caliber is retarded and the ghost of John Browning will haunt your range sessions. I still want one but in 45.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Razr likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

:crackup:
    ...and I thought I was bad.

1911 9s have been around long enough that they've figured out how to make them work.
    The real abomination is the 2011 in either caliber. :D

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  7. There is only one move.

All of them.

Nick_OMC, S Tsotsoros, Razr and 2 others like this.
  8. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's not an impulse.... it's a lifestyle :D

GixxerJohn011 and Gorilla George like this.
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Legion. All day. I have all three.
    That would be my choice. Unless you’re going full @Gorilla George

10. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

So with all of the versions that Sig throws out I can’t really get a pulse on the Legion stuff. Is it just a different color and Uccio level fanboy or are there some cool functional tweaks? The website is almost as useless as the fanboys.

11. fastfreddie

They couldn't call it Legend cuz everyone in the know would immediately recognize that as unsubstantiated BS. What it is tho' is a call back to a kindler, gentler pistol that actually had some weight to it. I think they actually added weight to help emulate the recoil characteristics of that heavier, gentler handling pistol from way back. Hell, it even uses some of those old parts.
    ...oh, the irony.

Anyone want to know why the correct answer is always 1911 (or H&K)? Go shoot either.
    As far as plastic and striker-fired pistols, H&K did that a long time ago. They are the first (not Glock) with polymer framed pistols. They didn't continue with their striker-fired development cuz it was just too expensive to make them trigger like a 1911, upon which the P7 ergonomics are based...the best triggering striker-fired pistol ever.
    Seemingly odd to today's gunslinger, neither platform has high-cap mags. Whaaa? That's right. The older gunslingers know that accuracy is way more important than bullet count...and they could shoot. Still can...it's second nature for having grown up on machines that were made to be an extension of one's nature.

I'd give a nod to Sig, but it should be understood that that nod is mere recognition of their existence. The steps up to the porch are few. Sig could be the first step, but 1911 and H&K are the top. There are no in between steps. Back when, there was only the one step. Men walked large in those days, unlike today's "men" that need baby steps to get up on the porch with the big dogs.

:D

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  12. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

1911s have a lot of history, but . . meh
    2011 seems to have a better solution and more options.

Really dig my HK-USP.
    Overall, it's either that, or my Sig 229.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have a sig 229 sitting. lonely, shivering in my safe and looking for a good home and warm dinners if any of you guys are interested in it.
    Pretty sure that pistol has less than 500rds through it

All original case/papers/receipts/3x mags
    Blackhawk holster, Galco leather holster, and Hogue grips

14. fastfreddie

?
    The 1911 platform is to pistols what the AR is to rifles. What more options can a 2011 offer?

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Mainly capacity, and some caliber options.

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Ok, while I can get onboard with the H&K fanboism, I'm sorry but I have to call this out for the bullshit that it is. This is unequivocally false and has been proven in combat countless times over. Good lord you say some fuddy stuff but this has to take the cake.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  17. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

If this were true, then the Army would not have changed the M-16 from semi-auto/full auto capability to semi-auto/three round burst.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wait - did you just try to use the US Army as an example of logical thinking leading to a conclusion?

fastfreddie likes this.
  19. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

That was to prevent wasting of ammo. However, the result of this argument is precisely wise they changed to 5.56 NATO - because the average soldier could carry more. If accuracy was everything, standard issue rifles would be bolt action...

But pretty much all modern teaching that I see is get more rounds on target faster. Sure accuracy is needed to the extent of being on target but that's about it. Center mass as much and as fast as possible.