1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

The V2 is 955cc but regardless his comment during the red flag was like "WTF?!?!"

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pretty sure it was Danny getting into Hobbs. Either way pretty sure MA doesn't have much in the 200 rules about causing a red or not. I was surprised they could repair the bike and refuel but no tires.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I even had officials a couple years back trying to enforce that stuff and I changed ours a decade or more ago :crackup:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ain't no way the riders read the 200 rules :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And looked like they were pissing off the Joshes and others in the infield too. Saw the 600's especially check up and make more aggressive moves early than I expected and it was almost always dealing with the 750's. It was fun to watch the different styles and the riders working them.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Right now, the 600s can still use the stock or kit ECU. The requirement for the 600s to switch to Metronik is 2024, which sucks for R6 racers because the R6 homologation expires in Jan 2025. Hopefully, the ECU can get reprogrammed and Yammie guys will just need a new harness to work with the R9 that suppose to be coming.
    Speaking of the future, what's going to be interesting is the twins cup rules package. The nail is just about in the coffin for WSS300 and twins will be joining the WSBK paddock. If FIM uses different rules, will MA follow the tradition of adopting the FIM rules package as they have done with the other classes?

Monsterdood, noles19, 5axis and 2 others like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because whoever wrote the 200 rules didn't really write them for endurance racing?

Knarf Legna likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have to say I was kind of disappointed Greg and Jason didn't have the 200 rules in front of them given they knew it was different than normal.

03RumbleBee likes this.
  9. rapidzrx

rapidzrx Well-Known Member

He'll be on a SUPERBIKE V4

10. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Do you remember the first year Eslick won the 200? He came on to pit road flat out and held it wide open against the pit wall until braking like a maniac for his pit stall at the end of pit road.

It was impressive, but it's absolutely crazy that he could be coming down pit lane at 170 plus while other riders are pulling out from a dead stop. And he wasn't the only one.

stk0308 and YamahaRick like this.
  11. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Right but the team managers and crew chiefs should have, and they can explain the relevant items to the riders so they know what's going on at the restart.

Actually, once in a while it is the rider that knows the rules better than anybody...

Ask Scott Harwell about the time he won us the Team Challenge at Daytona when we were just out there practicing, man that had the whole paddock wondering WTF just happened!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

Sorry about that, given up trying to keep up with what Ducati is calling a middleweight :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I agree with all of that. It does seem lately though I'm running across more and more people at all levels who just don't bother looking at the rules at all. It's kind of weird.

Peter Hively likes this.
  14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

"plausible deniability"

GixxerBlade and Shenanigans like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

16. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Well Capt O, thanks. Or, not.

Trainwreck likes this.
  17. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Pissed me off, but I don’t expect less from Herrin..

ToofPic likes this.
  18. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i think the 750 just has the max throttle opening limited. this doesn't slow down the off the corner advantage a 750 has having so much more torque than an R6.. which is all done when just opening the throttle and mid throttle.

And Gillim is a big dude compared to the to the other guys. by a lot. Also consider that you post is only the 1 time max top speed, potentially done in 3 or 4 bike drafts, nothing regarding an average top speed over say 10 laps, or when by themselves. Richie was putting in stellar laps pushing his own air. Not taking anything way from any of these guys, just saying it was pretty evident (to me) that the 750 had a bit of an edge even on the Ducati.

I'm also looking at results from when some of these guys were on 600's, then jumped to the 750. EVERYONE started finishing better. won't name names, but a few come to mind quickly.

KneeDragger_c69, Gino230 and rafa like this.
  19. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

So your saying "he had more hp so I shoved him"? :crackup:

grasshopper likes this.
  20. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

They do have a distinct Euro smell to them. :)