1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I've been watching too much SX this winter. That combined with the multiple MX tracks near me and even a private track 10 mins down the road have me looking at dabbling into MX.

Any recommendations for a first MX bike? I've always liked the idea of a 125 for the low weight and general simplicity. I'm 5'11" and 185 lbs. No real dirt experience outside of about ten rides on a backyard trail on a KLX140.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How much dirt riding experience do you have?

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

No real dirt experience outside of about ten rides on a backyard trail on a KLX140.

I was planning to take American Supercamp later this year to dabble in it a bit more and get some training. There's also a couple MX coaches near me that I plan to work with.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Good health insurance, proper gear and a tolerance for getting the wind knocked out of you a few times are a good start.

After that, any 2001+ YZ125 would do the trick. Tons of parts available, they're cheap and they're easy to look after.

You're gonna fall down a lot, at first. But when you get back on the road bike, you'll find your skillz have improved, probably.

5. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I'd recommend a 250f. They are WAY easier to ride for MX.

TurboBlew, 5axis and skidooboy like this.
  6. fastfreddie

:crackup:

All the above, and then some.

Go to the schools and get their input, and that of the local coaches, before buying something. Don't neglect considering a used bike that serves a short term introduction of, say, 6 months?

There's a world of difference between a 125 2-stroke MX bike and just about every and any other kind of dirt bike.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Spooner

Yeah I would go used for sure for your first bike. Just get something in good condition as most bikes are more clapped out than any SV. Really pay attention to stuff like the bearing in the rear suspension as nobody services them and will totally eff up the way the bike works. Plan on $500 in maintenance no matter what you buy right off the bat.

Senna likes this.
  8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

In my extremely limited mx experience, a 125 smoker requires a good amount of talent to time the powerband to the launching point of the jumps. I’ve never ridden a 125, but I was constantly mistiming my throttle application on my 200. My buddies 250f that I hated in the woods seemed way easier to launch flat.

Senna likes this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That has definitely been a concern. Especially having no two stroke experience.

10. fastfreddie

No 2-stroke experience? Assuming full-on MX and not getting run over, you might not like this...
    A 125 MX 2-stroke is gonna be like jumping into the deep end...in the middle of the ocean...and not knowing how to swim. They're pretty much all or nothing when it comes to twisting the throttle, acceleration being accomplished by ensuring you've selected the proper gear and a lot of clutch control. Fun as shit, but you'll be busier than hell just keeping it in the powerband while it's busy trying to buck you off. There are two conditions under which a 125's rear wheel operates, stationary and spinning faster than the ground is passing beneath it. Every other type (non-MX) of 125 2-stroke behaves sanely.
    In contrast, to include larger 2-strokes, a 4-stroke almost doesn't care what gear you're in nor how much throttle you're not giving it. I've seen a few 125 and less 2-stroke MX riders take a MX 4-stroke out for the first time and they can't stop looking at it, completely dumbfounded, when they finish that ride. As they walk away to go back to doing whatever, they're still looking back at it like WTF was that sorcery? :D

Canadian Bacon and Senna like this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Go big or go home.

https://www.ktm.com/en-nl/models/mx/2-stroke/ktm-300-sx-2023.html

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

cpettit likes this.
  13. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

TurboBlew and cpettit like this.
  14. Spooner

Yeah its what I have, its not slow haha!

15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

TX300 over here too. The first month or two was holy moly...

16. fastfreddie

Is that thing even legal for open class? :eek:

17. Spooner

In a lot of off road racing they don't care what bike you race, its just about age/speed. 300's are super common though in off-road.

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

Okay, I was thinkin' 450-4s and 250-2s in the SX and MX open classes.

19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

upload_2023-3-13_20-45-34.png

That is one damn good lookin bike.

20. fastfreddie

That would be one helluva first dirt bike. Do it!