1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I thought they made rule change in the last couple of years after someone caused a red flag and actually got a win or something? Maybe Road America?

2. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too but who knows.

3. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

4. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

You mean Bobby Fong at Barber? Yeah lots of confusion after that one. And again years later when Gagne crashed at Brainerd last year (different scenario).

The MA rulebook is based on the FIM rulebook (though there are differences). Things are different than they used to be. RTFRB to reduce confusion.

Once a Wanker.. and lopitt85 like this.
  5. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

There are all small, little men.

Gino230 and GixxerBlade like this.
  6. Skter505

I thought it was mentioned that the rule book was changed but you're right, it's still listed as "actively competing" meaning get back on your bike and get it to pit lane.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Skter505

You asked a what if question. As in what if there wasn't a red. I highly doubt they would have docked him 6 positions if that's what you meant.

Once a Wanker.. and Brad like this.
  8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Might've been. I can't remember, its all pretty fuzzy at this point. I just remember there being a Yuuuuuge discussion and hoopla around it.

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

This is my opinion, not fact, although I am right. Herrin did not safely complete the pass even though he was a wheel up. Therefore, he was responsible for Richie going down. A grid penalty is a chicken shit penalty in this scenario. It isn't even a slap on the wrist, it just makes it look like the officials did something effective. A real penalty would have been a finish position or time penalty assessed at the end of the race.

10. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

I'm aware as -I- was the one that asked the question.:D Therefore, still wondering if he'd have been docked positions without the red which was really ineffective considering its a 20 foot penalty on the grid.

The Todd and Skter505 like this.
  11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I was there, weather was beautiful

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

13. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Yeah like last year at Pitt when the leader crashed out of RE BTR, and there was a red flag, I was shouting at the TV "get up, get going"!

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

We're not the only ones confused around here

MELK-MAN and kirk erlinger like this.
  15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Yep!!! He literally was in the lead before they completed the first lap of the restart. As mentioned before, a time penalty should have been implemented.
    Horrible call officiating

16. Skter505

Yeah I didn't realize it was you I quoted at first. My opinion is any penalty would be too harsh for that move but especially a docked position. Middleweight (hell any class these days, watch WSBK) racing past few years has had a lot harder passing than that with and without the crashing. Unless they want to clean it up all year they should have left it being a racing incident. My opinion of course, which is also the right one, haha.

17. 418

418 Expert #59

18. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

racing incident

rapidzrx likes this.
  19. rapidzrx

rapidzrx Well-Known Member

Racing

20. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Maybe both a racing incident and a dick move? I didn’t necessarily think it should have been penalized but it was unnecessarily aggressive at that stage in the race. Just absolutely no reason for it.