1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. I already have the new M&P 2.0 Competitor steel frame.

I have the Canik Rival, but it isn't the steel frame version.

Ive got the Walther Q5 Match steel frame also, and that gun is super nice. Its one of my favs.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I proceeded with the purchase of a braced pistol. It says pistol on all the forms, is defined on those forms by the manufacturer/model and approved as such...a pistol with OEM brace.
    The only other place I need to proceed to is a firing line.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Gonna disagree with you there.
    The lower (assuming an AR platform) is the only part defined as a pistol, and as such can be configured as either a pistol, or a rifle.
    A lower with "other" can also be configured as either a pistol, or a rifle.

Just because the brace is "OEM" doesn't mean that the manufacturer got the ATF approval for said brace (without knowing the manufacturer it's hard to say).
    Neither does that mean the brace will continue to be legal, based on the recent ATF filling regarding braces as a whole.
    Current lawsuits may negate the ATF's actions regarding braces or allow the ATF to continue with classifying braced pistols as SBRs.

I've filed for my 2x free stamps. You may tolerate a different level of risk than I do though.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I'm going to wait til the last second to submit. I don't want to give the ATF any information that I feel they shouldn't have anyway. I have at least 10 that would need to be "registered". I'm not counting builds that will be destroyed instead of being serialized, engraved and registered. Oh yeah, f-ck the ATF.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mother nature can be a bitch, clibbens get the cruiser riders and boating accidents get the gun owners :(

Razr, Gorilla George and dobr24 like this.
  6. Jedb

What I'm inferring is 80% lowers for most of your things.
    You can always put the actual pistol buffer tube on it and be 100% legal.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/phase-5-tactical-ar-15-pistol-buffer-tube-pbt.html

Again, different views and risk tolerances.

7. fastfreddie

They (both the ATF and the State of PA) approved my purchase as a pistol, as delivered from the OEM at the time of purchase, long before this horseshit was vomited upon our plate(s).

IMO, the ATF is trying to control the ability of the DIY-ers to use a pistol lower, a short barrel and a brace the ATF doesn't approve of. The type of brace is what's in question.

If it's not a pistol lower, doesn't matter what brace you use if the barrel is pistol length. You've made an SBR.
    That there's no mechanical difference between either type of lower really makes this just a bunch of fuckery. If they approved the sale of a firearm with a brace and a barrel shorter than 16" as a pistol, it's a fucking pistol.

8. Jedb

I don't disagree with your logic, but the ATF has changed the rules, regardless of who they approved for making braces previously. (both my braces have ATF letters stating they are ok)
    I do agree that mechanically they're the same.
    The state of Pennsylvania (or other) doesn't over-ride the ATF.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just a reminder - I've been very very very lax in this thread but lets stick to the rules and not go off on tangents about politics or how you feel about the rules.

10. fastfreddie

Now we need the Dungeon to explain why you're wrong.

11. fastfreddie

12. Jedb

Depends on view of state's rights vs. federal rights. But yes, I'm done as well.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

14. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I find a lot of good buys on Gunbroker or turn them into better buys by calling the seller directly, Reeds Guns & Ammo on gunbroker is one of my favorites, many venders are more then happy to pull a listing to save both them & myself fees & taxes.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I live in MD so there’s an extra rub. SBRs minimum length is 29”. So the short barreled 9mm will probably get sold or turned into a carbine and sold.
    The draco , 300blk and 223 will probably get the stamp. I’m going to wait until the last couple weeks to see if it gets overruled. There’s enough negatives ( been discussed up stream) with going SBR vs braced pistol I’m in no hurry. Nervous nellys can pull the brace for now until they decide which way they are going. Once the tax free application as been submitted your free to reassemble. I’m sure some have temporarily misplaced their braced pistols or have not heard a word of all this and those firearms will remain pure.

Jed likes this.
  16. Jedb

[​IMG]

:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Definitely could do that. But that would mean changing springs and buffers on most of them. I'm too lazy to go that route. They will be taken apart and sold off as parts or built into rifles as they were 80% to start with and I can choose what they are.

18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I knew there was a reason I preferred lever action rifles!

19. If I had any guns that were affected by this ruling, that would seem like the easiest and quickest remedy. Just take the brace off, then wait and see what happens.

20. I said I wasn't gonna mess with anymore little guns till I got to see the Canik MC9 in person, especially since I am happy with the Boresight 365 X-Macro.

But this seems cool:
    Shadow Systems CR920 Combat Optic Ready 9mm Luger 3.41in Black Nitride Pistol - 13+1 Rounds | Sportsman's Warehouse (sportsmans.com)

The Shadow Systems version of the Glock 43X, with the slide cut so a 507K can mount directly on it.

I like my 43X and carried it for a long time. I felt it shot better than the Hellcat and fit my hand better. But it isn't cut for an optic. That's why it got replaced by the Canik TP9 Elite SC, then the P365XL, and now the X-Macro.

Ive never shot any of the Shadow Systems guns. Are they good improvements over the Glocks they are based on?