1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I use a Garmin watch to log data when riding MTB. Not really too concerned about absolute accuracy, just logging my rides. When we post group rides on Strava, there is always a discrepancy between riders in distance and (particularly) elevationeven though we all did the same route and trails. (looking at last night's ride - three riders - 16.01, 15.78, 15.72 miles - 2250, 2290 and 2356 elevation). In addition to the loss of satellite signal, there is the length of time between when the devices logs a position. The device isn't constantly determining position. The device extrapolates speed, distance and elevation from the positions logged.

I use my Garmin bike computer when I need navigation. The navigation functions are much more robust on the computer, and the screen is large enough to not need my reading glasses, which is a big help personally. BUT, to get HR data, you have to wear an HR monitor.

I'd say if I had neither a watch or computer, it would come down to whether or not I was using the device for data gathering or navigation. Data - watch. Navigation - computer.

Anyone headed to the Croatan Buck Fifty in a couple weeks? We will be there Thursday to Sunday.

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

So I'm thinking Fenix 7 watch, and add speed/cadence sensors to my bike ?

I have a Tickr heart strap with my wahoo stuff still but hate wearing it

3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I also use a Garmin Fenix I have the 7 and i picked my wife up the 8.

I dunno about the cadence and speed sensor stuff. I prolly crash too much for all that. I mainly just track my heart rate, and let the gps figure out my time/speed for the given trail.

Quick question... I've been considering switching my flat pedals out for some clipless/clip/whatever they are. Am I going to hate it? Currently I will have some issues here and there when going over fast/chunky/roots stuff where my foot will bounce off a pedal. Sometimes it doesn't land back on the pedal where I want and it feels all wonky. Then I'm paying attention to that while I'm flying down the side of a hill..

TBH I am MUCH more afraid of crashing the MTB than I am the race bike. lol At least on the race bike I have an airbag, and an ambulance is usually pretty close. However, in typical me fashion I want to get better/faster at anything try, and with that comes more risks. So I'm looking for feedback on flats vs clips.

4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

YMMV on clipless. I like clipless on road and gravel. On the mtb I find I ride very stiff if I'm not on flats. I'm sure I'm giving up some some flat land and climb speed and efficiency, but my bike is a 35 lb sled anyways.

I really like the Five Ten Trailcross series and PNW's composite pedals. Big platform. I don't know if I've lost my footing yet and we have very very rocky trails by me.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im a big fan clip ins... whether spds or eggbeaters. The biggest challege is finding a good shoe to match. I dont like a super stiff sole but thats stuff you'll have to make personal choices on.

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'm also a cleat person. Once you're used to them, they are second nature to get in and out of. The increase in pedal efficiency is only part of the equation, to me being connected to the bike gives additional "feeling" or feedback, it's more comfortable to me than riding flats.
    That said, it is a personal. Some people prefer flats.

And yes, shoes are a big part of that. I have very stiff "XC" shoes, flexible "touring" shoes and a "gravity" pair that is in between the two. Depends on what and where I'm riding, or how I feel that day which I wear.

Senna and TurboBlew like this.
  7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I've been using SPDs for so long I'd probably crash if I rode flats cuz my feet would fly off... LOL

I also pull up on the pedal when doing long climbs to try to keep fatigue from setting in too quickly.

brex likes this.
  8. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I've heard that's also a neat trick of switching to clipped.

Granted... im not flying down a mountain on my wife's Peleton, but we did get that one set up where we clip in and out. I like it.... I can get in and out pretty easy.. My wife struggles.... lol she literally takes her shoes off and leaves them on the bike for me to rip out when I ride. LMAO.

tony 340 likes this.
  9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

haha! I don't know how those are, but you should be able to adjust the tension and force for clipping in/out. Then its a quick kick of the heel and it pops free.

tony 340 likes this.
  10. tony 340

There's an adjustment to make it easier.

That's a female thing. I almost lost my wife at a traffic light cause of this.

Mtn biking in Michigan is really just "agressive" trail riding so we aren't doing 3000 ft climbs like some of you studs out west are, but we have what we have.

The pulling up thing is only gonna really come into effect with guys that are really advanced. More than anything, it's one less thing to waste your brainpower on. I wouldn't consider going back on the trail.

I bought the studded almost flat pedals for my bike for in the summer when we are riding to dinner or between bars so I don't have to wear bike shoes.

On the trail, definitely worth it

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Anyone have a suggestion for a mid range city bike? Riding with the wife and kid on the back when he gets older on paved surfaces 99% of the time but want to be able to ride in a city park or uneven terrain too. Something equivalent to a hard tail before going ahead and buying a FS mtb. So budget I guess is 600 or so.

I've been out of the bike game for a couple years but my last bike was a FS specialized carbon comp but I don't think I'm gonna be doing any MTBing anytime soon :(

tony 340 likes this.
  12. tony 340

Have you thought of those 1 wheeled tow behind trailers ?

My buddy pulls one with his daughter for a super workout

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I've mentioned them before, but Poseidon has done a really good job of making an affordable quality bike. It's in the "gravel bike" category, but the flat bar X is more like old-school MTB meets newer-gen road.
    https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/flatbar-x?variant=43244694143204

I recommend these locally all the time. They buy, bring the box to us and we will set it up for a minimal fee.
    It's super easy to assemble a built and boxed bike anyway, but my shop is a maintenance/repair shop with clientele that trust us with their bikes and would rather not mess with them.

Steak Travis likes this.
  14. Steak Travis

definitely will check these out. There are some funny videos with dolls in them and mtb’ers jumping with them .

15. Steak Travis

16. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I use SPD pedals most of the time. If I go somewhere new, or with crazy rock gardens that I'm afraid I wont clear, I switch to my SPD/flat peddles. The have SPD on one side, and flat on the other. That was I can chose as I ride. I have shoes that are like hiking shoes, but with the cleats in them also.

17. Pants Romano

I am learning flat pedals to help improve my pedal cadence and smoothness. I'd say that flats are 95% as good as SPDs from a power perspective. The loss comes on climbing, where I fell like I'm not unweighting the pedal on the up portion of the pedal stroke.

Biggest item of note is that SPDs have "float" which allows your foot to pivot around a bit without coming unclipped. This really helps with knee alignment and can help to reduce knee pain.

FWIW, if I was teaching a novice rider, I wouldn't hesitate to put them on flats so they could get the other skills down before adding in SPDs. For a more experienced rider, the switch would just be one new element to learn.

Trainwreck likes this.
  18. Pants Romano

More importantly -

Has anyone ridder the new Cannondale Scalpel HT (hardtail)? I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this for XC racing and general fun - https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/cannondale-scalpel-ht-review-2022/
    This is the build level available in my size, and I have a carbon bar and will get some wheels. Wanted to stay away from the lefty fork.

Also, how about Hunt wheels? Any experience? Looking at these. https://us.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-race-xc-mtb-wheelset?variant=33272433279021 Weight and price seem to be in the right spot.

Thanks!

Senna likes this.
  19. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

those look pretty decent for that price.

20. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I wanted a road bike a couple years ago and tried a couple gravel bikes. Then I tried a Cannondale Caadx cyclocross bike and it fit me really well. After trying the gravel bikes, I felt like I was flying on the Caadx. After a couple years now, I still think it was a great purchase. I've used it to do road rides with buddies on traditional road bikes as well as used it to do light dirt/gravel roads at decent speed without any problems with bending rims when I hit obstacles. Downsides: for roads with larger gravel, the vibrations through a fully rigid bike get a little tiring, especially with such small tires, and the brakes are cable actuated discs instead of hydraulic. I'd love to upgrade to hydraulic to get some more stopping power, but it's such a pain with the way the shifters/brakes are integrated on drop bar bikes.