1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VW Atlas, good or bad?

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, Feb 7, 2023.

1. That’s actually what I put on about 10k ago, I have the 21” wheels and went 10mm larger width. They handle way better on twisty roads and are wearing way better.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

In the price range you're scouting there's only two I would consider...Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot. Sometimes boring can be good when you get 200,000+ trouble free miles.

SuddenBraking and cav115 like this.
  3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Do not buy an Atlas. I have a pal whos a VW tech. He hates them, and says they not great for the price at all.

I don't know what things you need for an SUV, but i'd buy a Lexus RX 350 over an Atlas any day of the week. Similar price range too. Other vehicles in that price range include Volvo XC40's, BMW X3, Audi Q5/Q7 (contrary to popular belief, the Q7 and Atlas do NOT share platforms)

You can even find Porsche Cayenne and Macan for $30-35K

Atlas is honestly one of the worst vehicles in this price range.

4. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Although they look nice, I’ve heard nothing but horror stories with them.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

those in your comparison are all tiny inside.

the real answer is: Chrysler Pacifica! or Honda Odyssey or Sienna or Kia Carnival
    Heck the Carnival did the Lightning Lap at VIR :)
    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a42386881/2022-kia-carnival-lightning-lap-2023/

SuddenBraking and R Acree like this.
  6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

It’s been a minute since I sold used cars but reading this thread it doesn’t seem like VW has changed much. When somebody would walk on the lot shopping for a significant other that was dead set on bug because it was “cute” or any other VW my advice was always the same. Convince the significant other/daughter that while it is “cute” you need to buy something else.

Then followed with “I know you’re still going to buy one from me or somebody else and when you do BUY THE BEST EXTENDED WARRANTY YOU CAN!!!” The warranty will be expensive but you’ll at least break even and sell the damn thing before the warranty is up.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Atlas Shrugged…

R Acree and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Yes, we need a bit of room for the kids (13 & 15) and those he posted are too small. The Explorer seems to have the most room and the 3rd row is not super tiny.

We are going to look at the Suburu Ascent this week as well as well as the Acura MDX.

9. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

For what it's worth the Atlas is built on the same platform as other MQB VW's. (Think Golf)

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It’s an American-assembled car, designed by Prussian engineers who had to operate within Big Three budget constraints on an Italian timeline. None of this is good. And good riddance. I think mine was shipped to Saudi as the VIN never showed under my searches after turning it in. Fuck that car right in the tailpipe.

Phl218 likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

We loved our MDX, but yeah Minivan is the answer

12. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I don't think the XC90, Q7 or Cayenne are really "small" but again I wasn't sure what OP was looking for. So, I just listed off "better than the Atlas" SUV's for $30-35K lol

I listed the BMW X series mainly due to how much I love my wife's 3 series. I'm pretty sick of driving my giant ass truck around every day, and have been thinking of trying to grab up an X5 diesel. A buddy I used to race cars with has one and its sweet. Fully deleted, tuned, pipes, intake, blah blah. Makes cool noises and has like 650 torqz.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

E350 Club Wagon with a 4x4 conversion.

Go big!

969, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  14. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

We still have my Suburban so we really don't need a mini van.

I have shown her so many options and since it's something she want to drive, I can't force her into something that I think is best. Right now, it's down to the Atlas, Explorer and possibly the Volvo V90 if we can find one in our price range.

BigBird likes this.
  15. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

4Runner. The 40th anniversary edition with the retro stripes and gold wheels, black please.

969 likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Explorer ST is a hoot. Don't know about long term, but it is fast.

Also the Atlas motor is the VR6 from like 30 years ago, so it's pretty bulletproof. The vehicle handles really well for something that size.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There's always that one guy

BigBird likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

BigBird likes this.
  19. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Oh good, if the VR6 engine is available, go for that. The straight six was was then a warm micro brew after receiving an IRS audit notice.

I don’t know where the handling improvement came from. Even the wife said it tended to plow through corners. I think she’s happier that it’s gone than me.

Even with that, it’s still not worth an ass orgy.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

test drive a used 2017-19 Merc GLS450.

third row, S-class feel, tows 7500 lbs, rides awesome, the M276 is one of the best engines they ever made.
    they've been building the former GL chassis in AL for years now. the GLS was more or less a facelift.

we love ours

worthless likes this.