1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

:crackup:It amusing that you think he would look there.

Sabre699 likes this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They kicked you out of sarcasm class, didn't they? :D

3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Straight A student.

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Gigi, the car - not the gorilla, has screamed "tone" at me once. I considered it may have picked up radar waves, but now I'm thinkin' someone was just heatin' up some HotPockets. :D
    I'm curious to figure it out, tho'. It may also have been that I was headed towards the back side of a stop sign on the outside of a fast sweeper before I actually committed to the turn. It may have gone from initial warning beep straight to LOOK THE FUCK OUT! flatline in a split second. IDK, yet.
    I've read the manual. ;)

5. Now you know I ain’t looked that shit up. :crackup:

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. It does have adaptive cruise but it wasn’t on at the time. I’ve only used it once.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

No surprise...adaptive cruise implies willingness to FOLLOW someone...that's like the opposite of WINNING

BigBird, Saiyan66 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean the radar system isn't in a passive on mode. I expect it probably is, whether you're using it or not.

I had a discussion years ago with a highway patrolman I know. He said he can pick out the cars that had early adaptive cruise, or radar sensors for blind spot monitoring, because his radar gun would return some strange values.

9. Exactly :crackup:

10. Hmm, that’s interesting. I wonder if it can help prevent getting tickets.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Well don't say anything, they'll outlaw it as a radar detector.
    Oh, wait...in this case, that could be a good thing. "Nanny State deemed illegal!"
    :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

The insurance companies have been subsidizing the purchase of lazer speed guns, so radar guns are getting phased out.

BigBird likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Probably the navigation system chit chats with Waze and got a speed trap tag. If I had to guess, and I kinda do.

stk0308 and Phl218 like this.
  14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

FFS... are we still talking about Broomes oversize Fiat 500??? :Poke::D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like it might be tied into Waze or the like where other drivers report cops.

Mine does alerts like that but only for school zones.

16. But would it be that way from the Factory?

I’d never heard of Waze before this thread. I haven’t put any apps like that on the car (or my phone).

It’s weird that it did the same thing twice (and has only done it those 2 times). The HUD changed to show the triangle and exclamation point, then a big picture of the posted speed limit, and an audible alert.

And both times there was a cop on the side of the road up ahead.

When I enter a school zone it won’t give me an audible alert and doesn’t give me the triangle thing. It will show the posted speed limit, then beside it there will be another sign that says something like “School zone 15mph”.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes it could be that way from the factory depending on the GPS setup. Kind of doubtful though given the brand.

Does sound like a cool setup all in all :D

18. Haha agreed. :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seems like the Porsche GPS may be using Google for it's map and routing data, if so then yep, it'll do speed traps since Google is tied to Waze.

Should say in the manual if it'll do google street view and earth and such.

stk0308 likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I guess we'll never know.

Phl218, Sabre699 and Gorilla George like this.