1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX400

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I like it a lot and think they did a good job of balancing specs and price. I was *not* ever one of the guys saying "if they build an modern I4 400 I'll be first in line", I prefer racing twins (or singles if I can ever afford a Kramer) and sportbikes on the street are just dumb. I hope they sell every one fast so they make more cool shit.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

pricing could be a little high due to the yen to dollar being a little more in our favor still. Its still about 10% off of recent 'normal' value.

3. I think it will be a very fun bike for the right rider, I’m 6’3” and currently 230ish and it may be the bike for me. Like the R6, it will be a useless street bike unless you weight 100#

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm a bit disappointed with the weight. I was expecting it to be lighter than a 600.

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

When do we find out if it actually revs to 16,000? Or is Kawasaki doing the 2006 YZF-R6 trick?

:D :D :D

boxcrash and Bloodhound like this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see what the weight comes down to in race trim. Miss my 3TJ at times, dunno if I could swing financing a race bike...

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not sure what to think. Loved the idea of it, not sure I like the execution.

If a spec series or class for these bikes caught on, I think they’d be really fun. Otherwise just not sure what the market really is for them.

418 likes this.
  8. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

Buy one now and put it away. It will be collectible one day. try to find a clean stock fzr 400 that wasnt raced. Since they are just a few hundred less then the zx6r, I cant see many street riders buying them. Which is Probably why Kaw is bringing so few of them here.

G Dawg, MrGooch and Jon Wilkens like this.
  9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

If it were only a 2-stroke..lol.
    Is that 415 lb. weight rating for real???
    If so That's REALLY REALLY DAMN HEAVY.???
    My 1985 RZ350 with a 6 GALLON fuel tank weighed only 370 lbs . Showroom.weight, then just losing the converter pipes ya lost another 25 lbs...and you could still lose another 15
    ditching street parts.. so realistically a lightweight RZ weighs 330 lb that's almost 100 lbs lighter than a bike 40-years newer....??
    Still a cool bike...but not exactly little

boxcrash likes this.
  10. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Wheels (rear at least)
    Brakes - (rotors)
    Suspension (41mm USD forks vs 37mm - plus springs, etc...)

Wet weight on the '22 ZX6R is listed at 425lbs so it's 10lbs heavier than the zx400.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This thread has more pages than actual ZX 4's will come to the US

MachineR1 and boxcrash like this.
  12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

It says ~80HP for the UK variant, but it only revs to 15k there?

13. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think you’re right. The roll-out for this is so weird. Kawi has a video up for their damn jet skis, but nothing for the ZX4RR? There’s just very little fanfare for what was a highly anticipated bike.

I wonder if this thing was in development for a while, and when costs skyrocketed in 2022, the bike surpassed the price point target they initially set, and that they know it’s too expensive to have mass appeal. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a special order bike and not something that’s going to sit in showrooms.

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Screenshot (98).png
    You believe what you read from Visor Down ?
    Kawasaki UK lists it as 33.4 KW or 44.9 HP

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    BigBird likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're not going to use all those on the race bike? :confused:

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Those numbers are for the 400 TWIN, the 400 Four isn't on the UK site.

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It was listed under Supersport, and I did not fully check it, thanks.
    HP numbers are not listed on Kawi USA either . Screenshot (100).png

18. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Looks like an awesome bike! If I hadn’t blown my load on a 450 SMR last year I’d totally buy one. Hell if would have known this was coming out I would have held off on the SMR.

19. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The 2023 ZX6 base model is $10,699. KRT version is $10,999. KRT with ABS is $11,999. The ZX4 is a KRT RR version with ABS, so comparing to the same spec ZX6 it is a $2,300 difference.

R7s are starting at $9200. $9300 for the 2022 special edition R7. Both the R7 and ZX4 have a steel chassis, upside down forks, dual disc/ radial mounted brakes...very comparable (the ZX4RR does come standard with quick shift, autoblip and traction control). I think the ZX4 will probably make more power in race trim than the R7, and the chassis is very capable on the race track.

rafa, Cooter! and Motohead8 like this.
  20. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Up in Canada we get two versions - a base model and an RR spec - looks like the US only gets the RR spec? Price up here is $9,999 and $10,999 ($7,500 and $8,200 USD).

The most awesom-est thing for us though is that the Govt has capped them to 11,500rpm due to noise restrictions so we get a 50hp (guessing) max.

As for the R7 Comparo - Kawi lists the ZX4R as having 26.5ft lbs of torque vs the R7 with what, 50ft lbs? Hard deficit to overcome but I'll defer to you for obvious reasons.

cha0s#242 likes this.