1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015 Yamaha r1 top end.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by samizx7, Jan 31, 2023.

1. samizx7

samizx7 Well-Known Member

Just a quick question. Is it possible to do a top end job on 2015 r1( replace pistons) without disassembling the bottom end. With cross plane I am having some issues.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You can remove the head without disassembling cases. Pistons, no.

3. samizx7

Thanks for respond. I wanted to replace one piston and cylinder but seem like the bottom end would need to come apart. Having a hard time with oil rings and installing pistons without removing rods.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The only engine that comes to mind recently that might allow that is the Hayabusa because it's cylinders are separate from the block.

5. samizx7

many bikes have that setup, so 2015 r1, the problem with cross plan crank. i am not able to feed all 4 pistons to the cylinder also the oil rings are driving me crazy. i guess bottom end has to come apart,

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Yes, it is difficult. Tapered install sleeves are almost essential, which require case disassembly. It can be done- but with brand new oil control rings, it is really challenging. In situations where approaching events required a limited time, I have used the old lower ring set because it goes in easier. Don’t tell anyone, especially humblepie.

7. RightSideUp

RightSideUp Well-Known Member

This

8. samizx7

What brand on Tapered install sleeves are you using.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Most are Wiseco. It I have some custom ones as well. KWS has some of them for sale as well.