1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6D ATS -1R

Discussion in 'General' started by jlogalbo, Jan 23, 2023.

1. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

I have been wearing the 6D off road helmets for the last few seasons and have been very impress with he fit and performance

My question is - does anyone have an experience with them while road racing? Specifically the performance in a crash?

I have been in Arai and Bell for the last several seasons and have been compromising with the fit. I have recent bought a 6D ATS-1R and the fit is great. Just looking for real world performance info

Thanks

Joe

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I love mine, knock on wood I haven't crashed in it.
    But fit is really great once it breaks in, quality wise it feels and looks nicer than my top of the line bell and hjc. It vents really well but isn't too loud even without ear plugs, the race visor with tear offs is really nice doesn't fog and has multiple positions of opening that actually work..
    Only downside I've had is swapping visors took a few minutes to figure out but I also rarely swap visors.
    Company wise it is still a small company that supports dirt races on site and mountain bike races which is cool. And also they are very easy to get in touch with with any questions and it's most likely the same person answering each time.

R/T Performance and Phl218 like this.
  3. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

Thanks Noles...I have high hopes on performance. I will have to check out the race visor

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I believe Kyle Wyman is or was sponsored by them, and utilized them in AMA racing. thought I would be a fan of the ATR-2 for dirt bikes but, found them to be too heavy for my liking. Ski

5. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I like mine. Have not crashed in it though. I like that they are advancing brain protection technologies. Cam B wore one when he last raced in US.

R/T Performance likes this.
  6. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

I've been wearing the ATS-1R since the last part of 2020, and have had 2 crashes where the helmet contacted the ground, both with a little bit of tumbling. No issues with me after the crash, and the helmets did their job.
    It is definitely a larger shell, and I do think that comes into play on a longer straight when speeds come up, but I'm also not the greatest at being in a tuck.

R/T Performance likes this.
  7. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

If you’ve seen me crash since Jan 2016, I was in this helmet for every one of them!

Great people and great product.

We also have a very special graphic coming soon :)

ducnut, Spooner, Dom17 and 4 others like this.
  8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’m curious about the 6D off-road helmets. My shoei is starting to wear out (these things don’t last as long as road helmets for sure!) and I don’t know if I want to pony up $600 for another if there are others that are as good.

Is anyone on here a dealer for them?

9. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

They have a flight crew program for brand ambassadors. https://www.6dhelmets.com/
    These are nice helmets and mine is lighter than the bell star race flex it replaced.
    Thankfully i haven't tested mine. Fit finish and support has been a great experience.

10. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

If anyone wants a bro deal on 6D send me an email through my website contact form and I’ll sort you out myself

www.kylewyman.com/connect

11. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Whats the main difference of the ATS-1r and the ATS-1r Aero? The Aero looks a little smoother, but any comparison on noise or something?

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Aero is just the scheme

13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

As a side note for fitment. The cheek pads on the ATS-1R have a taper that is thick by the ears and thin at the jaw. The previous model pads are uniform thickness, and will fit in the new helmet. I ordered thicker pads from a distributor who didn't distinguish between the models. Thanks to their support group for sorting that confusion out for me.

14. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  15. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

They are also now distributed through Parts Unlimited so basically any dealer can get them. Should make them quite a bit more accessible.

noles19 likes this.
  16. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Kent Powersports in New Braunfels TX has a couple Kyle Wyman 6d in stock and more.
    If anyone near there wants to check them out in person ask for Simon, he is veery knowledgable on them.
    I think they are the only dwaler inTX with them in stock.
    I'm sure that will change here soon with PU getting them, but anyway...........

17. Seiko

Seiko Well-Known Member

Where are the 6D helmets made? I sent an email a while back with some questions and never heard back.

18. Spooner

Fairly certain J-tech makes them which is who makes a very large array of mid to high end helmets.

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

You mean these guys?
    https://jtechhelmet.en.ec21.com/
    Says Korea.

20. Spooner