1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

well - what a week. :(

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jan 22, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Back to back flying like that is pretty brutal unless you're in biz class. I used to mileage run LAX-Joberg back and forth, returning after a couple hours. It was tough. Hope you get more time to see your mum.

gixer1100 likes this.
  2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Tunnel Bear... puts you in the U.S, gives you a U.S IP addy. maybe that would help? you would think work would help you in your situation, with your mom and another country. but, I could be wrong. sorry you are dealing with this, and going through everything with your mom. good luck to you all. Ski

gixer1100 likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Cherish the time you have with your Mom........safe travels.

4. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but glad you got to see your Mom, even though it was for such a short time. I'm sure it meant a lot to her. I hope you're able to find a way to work and spend more time with her.

KneeDragger_c69 and gixer1100 like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Somehow the immensely animus non-relationship I have with my incubator makes me feel even sadder for those who have great maternal relationships that are coming to the unfortunate, inevitable ending.

I'm not sure if it is sympathy or jealousy.

All I can say is enjoy the time that you do have with those people you love and who love you back.

ToofPic and gixer1100 like this.
  6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

This whole thread begs the question : is your boss that big of an asshole that he wouldn't let you be beside your sick mom if you explained it to him ? Can't you simply take a family leave or any kind of paid or unpaid vacation ? BTW, good luck with your mom. There's no easy way out and the end of a life is pretty much never elegant :(

KneeDragger_c69 and skidooboy like this.
  7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Given the general characteristics of school district upper administration, I would say yes, based on my 20+ years in public education. Then, throw in the general incompetence of school district IT personnel and I can see where the OP has the problem. Remember that, in general, neither upper admin nor the IT director care about any individuals within the system.

gixer1100 likes this.
  8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Okay. I could see a public employer like a school district being rigid on things like that. However, they probably have a policy of cases like that. What does it say ?

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

When I was travelling a lot to Canada last year, there were some streaming services that wouldn't let me connect when I was connected to the hotel wifi. I did notice before that when I connect my laptop to tether through my work cellphone, it sets the home address in Google Maps as Atlanta. So, I tethered to my phone and connected to that streaming service and it worked just fine. I guess my work's cell phone VPN is routed through Atlanta somehow.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Most district policies would say that it is at the discretion of the superintendent. I doubt that the negotiated agreement contains language which would address this situation in specifics and would require filing a grievance against the superintentent to get a resolution. The superintendent would most likely not want to grant an exemption, as it could lead to having set a precedent which the union could use in the future. That would not be in the best interest of the district and could have repercussions with the school board when it is time for them to consider renewing the superintendents contract.

gixer1100 likes this.
  11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

yeah...i like flying under the radar at work - not showing up would not be it lol. i could likely take unpaid time off, but i cant afford that, nor again, do i want to be putting myself in a situation to lose my current position. after a bit of time passes and i may be in the clear without repercussions from this previous little exploit lol...i will contact tech and see my options for future reference. i did have the OK from the director to go to canada and work from there, but (i assume) they and i had no idea it was not accessible from there. i will also look into a VPN, though if its something i have to load on to my work laptop, i will be unable. i will see what the tech dept says.

i appreciate the positive thoughts about my mom....a little lesson here...she worked hard (raised 2 ACTIVE boys by herself , while working as a nurse, while going to school for her BSC, then masters, and got her phd in her late 50s) taught univ nursing, until she retired...and dementia was just around the corner (started while she was working)...dont work and wait until retirement to live ( i dont think anyone here who rides/races is in this boat lol). live while you can. her retirement will go towards her care, not vacations.

ToofPic likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sometimes as a parent, you don't get the choice to play instead of work.
    And don't ignore the fact that being a responsible person who strives to excel and takes care of their family and responsibilities can make for a rewarding and enjoyable life. I wouldn't assume that your mom regrets not taking more vacations or whatever, sounds like she was strong enough to do what she really wanted to do.

Hang in there and good luck.

gixer1100 likes this.
  13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

she was, strongest person i know...i just hate seeing her like this when she should be enjoying the fruit of all that labor. she never even got her first retirement check before she was struck down with this.

14. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

So sorry for her,and you.
    My dad retired and had a massive heart attack and died in his kitchen.
    He never got to enjoy his retirement so I know how sad that can be.Hang in there for her and God bless you both

gixer1100 likes this.
  15. I would discuss this matter with your IT department. My company has a lot of IP location bullshit going on. But it gets worked around often and easily as long as someone has a valid/legit reason.

16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Don't they have programs to run your home computer remotely?
    Remote desktop comes to mind.
    Of course this requires you to set up before you leave.

Using a VPN depends on if your school computer system allows log in from a known VPN address... I know my work does not but that deals with more secure info.

gixer1100 likes this.