1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

well - what a week. :(

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Jan 22, 2023.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

so some background - i am canadian (east coast) and live in socal. getting home is a bit of a trek - usually takes 20-30hrs door to door. my mom has advancing dementia and i wanted to go home and since i work online i have the ability to go there and work and stay awhile (or so i thought).
    i fly home - leave at 6am my time, get to home at 4am - wake up at 9 am to get stuff ready for work. realize right away i am not allowed to log into work from canada, nor can i access email etc. the 4hr time difference - i cant call anyone - they are still in bed...immediately i know i need to call off for the day, but i cant do it as im supposed to...but i figure it out. i also realize i cant stay in canada. so while trying to figure out work issues and access etc...i also am trying to book a ticket back to socal. turns out my original ticket was not transferrable so i had to buy a whole new one leaving that day at 3pm ($$). so off i go to see my mum for 2hrs, have lunch with my brother on the way to getting dropped off at the airport. - i end up on the same plane i landed on with the same crew lol...and almost 26hrs later i am in socal (3flights and a 12hour layover). was home a total of about 12hrs - i spent more time in toronto coming back lol.

back to work. those emotional 2hours were great though. ive spent the last 24years away from home (work is hard to find where i come from - and now i am pretty much settled) - it never gets easier, apparently only harder. definitely harder. :(

ToofPic and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Why can't you stay in Canada ?

aaronson likes this.
  3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's chock full of Canadians.

ToofPic, TurboBlew, MattTries and 5 others like this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'm guessing his company has Canadia blocked from logging into their network.

gixer1100 likes this.
  5. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i cant be there and work at the same time. i can definitely stay legally etc lol. i just like having my job and cant be gone from work that long easily. i assumed since i work online i could just go and work from there - but any location outside the usa is blocked access apparently...and i cant load anything on my work laptop to maybe try to find a way around the isp etc...plus i am not sure that would work anyway - and didnt have time to try to figure out another plan...expensive mistake, and tiring.

ToofPic likes this.
  6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Not sure what your work is, but seems like waiting a few hours and making a phone call should've worked.

I use geoblocking at my office and we can enter exceptions for specific IPs. You should ask about that since its a family issue, and surely in SoCAL they'll honor the Family Leave Act.

KneeDragger_c69 and auminer like this.
  7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Get an AWS workspace.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your mom.

Watching your parents fall apart is fucking terrifying

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

IANAL, and I don’t mind putting it in her pooper, but I think you have an ADA case against your employer.

Being a Canuckistanian has to qualify as a disability. ;)

10. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

teacher - and i know my district wouldnt be changing their internet security to accommodate me lol. they tighten it every year. even on my work laptop i need to re sign in , a few times a day to confirm its me. meanwhile i wouldve had students and parents calling, complaining, wondering where i am etc.

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

being stupid enough to spend a couple grand to go home for 12hours...there might be a disability there somewhere lol.

Rebel635 likes this.
  12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Ah, I see.. guess you need to give them time to procure a sub.

Sorry to hear about your mom :(

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Hmmmmmm… I would push this. There is no legitimate reason to deny you access from Canada. Seems they lack motivation and/or IT competence.

KneeDragger_c69 and OldSchlPunk like this.
  14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Or something like it. I could be on Mars with my laptop, and so long as I provide the correct DNA and stool sample (slight exaggeration, very slight, multiple layer authentication), good to go.

16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

If it’s a public school, lack of IT competence is a required job skill.

They also need to have a strong God complex and the ability to be extremely condescending when explaining why “you wouldn’t understand why we can’t do (fill in the blank).”

It’s been my experience that most public school IT guys usually had a “shop” ( translation - basement or one car attached garage ) where they “repaired” computers prior to getting the very high tech job of maintaining a public school network.

rant over.:D

NOTE : OP - very sorry about your Mom.

gixer1100, tl1098, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Close. They are the guys that corporate America rejected. Perfect for government work.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

You could have just got a VPN subscription and logged on as if you were home.

19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Not sure about all that. I have a close girlfriend from high school who works as an IT person in a public school system, and her particular MOS is servicing the needs of children who perhaps need other than the norm. She is brilliant, can build a computer from scratch, and has endured a mind numbingly succession of one idiotic and bureaucratic decision after another.

I don’t know what the solution is here. But I do know I wouldn’t let it go. I would at least have a good understanding of the problem. Is it technical incompetence, bureaucratic bullshit, budget constraints? A combination?

The OP said he works online. All of a sudden Canada is not OK? Lol. GTFO.

20. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Nope, he probably has to use a VPN to access the district network. Their VPN servers would not allow access from a different VPN, location doesn’t matter.