1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sounds like he needs a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry lol

2. TGT

3. No, it was a perfect example in the context of the point I was making.

When you walk in the store and want peanut butter, you look at all the different brands and types. You decide which you want based on what it contains and the price you want to pay. Then you go buy it for the listed price. That is it.

You don't get up to the counter and tell the Cashier "It says $5, but I will give you $3". You don't walk up to the counter only for the Cashier to tell you "This PB is in demand. We know it says $5, but we have added an extra $2 for additional store profit".

Prices fluctuate on everything based on market demand, material costs, inflation, availability, etc...and that includes groceries. The point is, when you walk in the store you go up and down the aisles, pick what you want, and go pay for it. The entire process can be done with no bullshit games.

Cars should be the same.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

You mean like Carvana

5. I dunno. I have heard that name before but never dealt with them or visited their site.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

So one thing, is the over market made sense for a little. Why? Supply/Demand. Manufacturers weren't making enough cars, yet still had the same MSRP from a few years ago. I can't fault the dealers, they didn't have enough cars to move, so they had to make up the money difference somehow. As supply increases, prices have been getting back to MSRP, or below.

Look at Tesla, I guess they follow your grocery analogy. They priced their cars at even more of a premium, trying to be apple, people stopped buying, and now they lowered their prices by almost $10-12K in some instances.

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

What about the oil industry where the consumer has no choice? :D

Gorilla George and Sabre699 like this.
  8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

There’s always a choice. Maybe not good or likable choices but they exist.

R1Racer99 and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Accords are why I kept buying VW and Audis.
    You want them to be good. You want them to be fun. You want them to have a soul. Instead, you get an accord. Boring, a bit cheap feeling but reliable.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you, but will never happen.

Most people going in are trading in a car that dealer may be able to sell, may have to fix, or may turn into a dumpster fire.

Throw in a shitty credit score buyer where they can actually sell the car for less money, but make it up on the interest collection.

Now mix in government tax rebates on electrics and the shit gets even more complicated

Tesla prices are way down, but let's not forget without government that company was never profitable their first 5+ yrs

Government needs to stay outta the auto industry IMO, but all those union guys are a large voting block. Guy that owned my house before me was retired UAW, you should see all the blue team mail I get

If you're ever buying at a used car lot with cash, never tell them you're not financing until price is agreed upon.

In the Detroit area many get family or retiree pricing so the new car price gets x% discount off msrp and that's that.

One more reason I buy a Ram. No negotiating on the new truck, only the old one. Buy a ram with a Cummins and you'll never have a problem selling the old one

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Except for them being overpriced to start so I'd go to a different store.

12. I remember reading about a car company that got called out for that years ago. I can't remember if it was Kia, or Saturn, or some shit like that. They introduced this "No hassle, no haggle" campaign to make the car buying experience "More enjoyable and less stressful for everyone involved".

But then they got called out for drastically overpricing the vehicles. They made it seem like they were making the process easier, when it fact all they were doing was charging a higher price and not giving you the option of negotiating it down.

13. Oh FFS. Anyone need a leaf blower?

I was putting shit in my cart and added the 650cfm blower with stubby nozzle (for drying the car).

Then I got distracted and went to another tab. Then the next day I went back and did some more shopping and eventually ran across the 765cfm so I put it in my cart.

But I forgot I had already put the 650 in there and wasn’t paying attention during checkout and ended up getting both of the bastards. What a waste of $300.

495DADD7-C79B-4CBC-A709-A6BA6859E4A4.jpeg

14. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

hell yeah I do!

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You and Captain Morgan should hang out together...

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

keep your electric blower.

buy me a gas one :D

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've got the 765, it's sweet. I am pretty shocked you don't insist on all gas powered shit...

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ya know you can return shit to the store right?

BigBird likes this.
  20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Shhhhh don't tell him that

Phl218 likes this.