1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Great, I'm a lefty and don't need a rifle. But I want one...

skidooboy likes this.
  2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

You are why I keep a stag lefty AR in stock now.

Jed likes this.
  3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Got the Burris yesterday, mounted it "roughly" to the Ruger American in 6.5 creedmoor, with the Magpul hunter stock. Took it to the range today, shooting off the Caldwell Rock BR Competition rest, and a rear bag. Sighted in for 2" high at 100, then went to 200 to zero (from Ballistic chart on the Hornady 143 ELDX). was a little low, made some adjustments. Then realized, the reticle was slightly canted, when level on the bench. decided to end the day, make adjustments at home for level, and re-sight in later. Overall pretty happy with the purchase, and today's shooting. I just need to slow down, and tighten up my groups. Definitely good for hunting though. Ski

lizard84 likes this.
  4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Welp, I faltered miserably in the willpower department. A Sheridan Wyoming Weatherby Mark V Weathermark Bronze 270 Weatherby Magnum is on its way.

I’ve got to clear some space though, if anyone is interested in a Pedersoli Pride of the Plains 45-70 or a Aero AR10 .308 in FDE shoot me a PM.

5. lizard84

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 45-70 I'm looking to move to free up some space. It has a Marbles tang sight on it not pictured.

ToofPic, JBraun and skidooboy like this.
  6. skidooboy

How about pics of the Aero 308? what are the specs? Ski

7. lizard84

I’ll post some pictures in a bit.
    FDE,18 inch stainless steel barrel, I’m very impressed with its groups with 167 gr lapua.

someone here did express some interest so I won’t let it go to anyone else until he confirms or says he’s a definitely no.

Sabre699 and skidooboy like this.
  8. lizard84

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No sights or scope but the quick release American defense scope mount is negotiable .

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

LOVE Aero components. They just released a line of suppressors, and they seem very reasonably priced.

Edit:

Looks like they've entered the bolt action market, too...Hmmmm....I said NO guns in 2023...but MAYBE........

Steak Travis likes this.
  10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

almost made it a month! Keep it up . My bank account is certainly happier so far with me holding off

StaccatoFan likes this.
  11. lizard84

I have an agreement on the AR & scope mount, it’s no longer available.

thanks,

Bob

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

My next project is to build a replacement for a rifle that I lost in a house fire about 15 years ago. I finally found a gunsmith that I think I can trust to do the job and is willing to do it. I am going to build a sporter on a 98 Mauser action with a 20" Shaw barrel in 350 Remington Mag. I will need to have the action trued, drilled and tapped and have the bolt face opened up for the magnum case and the bolt handle bent down for scope clearance.
    I wouldn't mind finding an older sporter that was done in the 50s or 60s that has some of the work already done, but expect I will just need to get an old military 98 and go from there. It won't be cheap, but it is what I want.

lizard84 likes this.
  13. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

A track day friend got into some real long, long range stuff. 2miles wink.jpg

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Also known as the list of guys you should avoid banging the wives of

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. lizard84

I need to switch out the scope to something more reasonable like 3x15 or 18 but I'm liking the idea of taking this baby out west.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. skidooboy

good looking rig. I am still fighting myself on the tikka tac1. thought about going .308 but, I already have 6.5 ammo so, do I really want to stock another caliber? Ski

17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I went by the LGS and they have some Christensen 6.5 PRC’s …. Man they were tempting but little pricey

18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

In talking with him, its about a 8 second flight, even with the cannons they are shooting. Don't stand still very long.

19. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I'm pretty proud at some of my long range accomplishments (not in matches) but 2 miles is nucking futs. Props to him and the rest of those dudes.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My problem with a lot of the ELR stuff, is that in order to keep getting hits at further and further distances(for bragging rights), they keep making g the targets bigger and bigger. So then you need Charlie Teracs/prisms/etc, to have enough elevation.