1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Thanks @brex. I'm happy to continue on here as yes, class 1 is my only consideration. I'm looking forward to learning more from you, based on your experience with them.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I still like the Shimano ep8 motor system the best, but the truth is any of the systems on the major MTB brands are good.
    Approach it as you would any other MTB, decide how much travel you're wanting first and go from there. Frame geo, fit you like, suspension curve. Then the components for the final build of the bike.

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

There has been a decent amount of ebike talk in this thread and several of us own them. They are an absolute blast to ride and I try to get out any time I can on mine.

MELK-MAN and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. Once a Wanker..

Thanks guys.
    I'm looking very closely at the Husqvarna's currently, as they mostly use the Shimano ep8 motor. Their top of the line bikes have all Shimano gearsets, while their lower spec builds use average SRAM stuff. Working on determining my budget now...

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

It so demoralizing when you're grinding up a long steep climb and behind you comes a dude on an ebike blasting past with a 20rpm cadence and the tell-tale 'weeeeeeee'... buncha pricks. :p

TurboBlew and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  6. Once a Wanker..

I know exactly what you mean, after riding over 2,600 road miles last year, including BRAG and Ragbrai. My wife will be riding this when we do an organized ride in Feb. together. I have discovered that as a true senior rider these days, I no longer have that 'burst of strength' when I experience an unexpected steep climb on my MTB, no matter how short it might be. Likely less so after my next surgery. I'll be riding my gravel bike with road tires plenty this year, and hope to add some gravel miles on it as well

thrak410 likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Or when you go ride a 7 mile loop you struggle to get the 3rd lap in at just over 2 hours and some fair weather punk does 4 laps making a mockery of the punchy climbs by trail braking over the crests for added insult.

thrak410 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  8. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I raced the WV MTB series last year, and had a blast. Did all the races on my Pivot Trail, but seriously considering something lighter (maybe the Mach IV) for this season. Also did a few gravel races, including Unbound in Kansas. Really like the gravel racing environment, and the folks are really fun to be around. We are hosting a gravel race in West Virginia, which will be part of a five-rage series. Since I'm not going to be able to race in my race, likely try for the XC series again.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

What are signs you need to move your seat forward/back and tilt it forward/back ?

Getting my new bike dialed in now, and have the typical tall guy problems. This is my first XL frame as I always bought used bikes when funds were tight.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Tilt is all about the taint and balls :D tilt it until it doesn't hurt lol ... get a better saddle than OEM unless its a good one.

I'm old school so my fore/aft position is based on the angle of my knee. Apparently, thats not the way its done these days, but when I try the modern methods the back of my knees end up aching. Also positioning of the cleat in the shoe makes a big difference for me too.

11. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I see no problem talking about E-bikes. Whatever gets people outside and enjoying something is fine with me. I never understood the E-bike hate.

skidooboy and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm a bigger fan of the Shimano stuff over Sram on the MTB side. Check out the Intense Tazer MX-its what I ride and has a killer spec for the price.

13. Once a Wanker..

My local M/C shop is a dealer, as the owner bought 10; kept two, and sold the other 8 to his buddies. I've looked close at one, as my LBS had one in to work on. I was driving through the shopping center parking lot, to another business and saw an employee riding a MB with an Ohlins shock on it, so I turned around and drove back to the shop to talk with the tech. He had nothing but good things to say about it. I just don't know of any shop with one in stock at this moment. Sram equipped Husky's are quite pricy, but one Bobby at Wooley's has some at his shop. Not sure what spec. the ones he has are, though.

14. Once a Wanker..

Bobby gave me a good deal on a '22 Husqvarna Hard Cross LE today. Only tested it near the dealership, and in my neighborhood. Looking forward to getting it out on some trails soon, but rain in the forecast tonight and tomorrow.

TurboBlew, tony 340 and Spooner like this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Like my other fat tire bike so I decided to get another and do it up a bit. This one’s a Mongoose Dolomite ALX. Threw some "Faux" air forks up front, Shimano MT200 brakes, 203mm rotors, Microshift Advent X 1 x 10 groupset, external bearing crankset, Exaform dropper

before

D48D8308-DCC1-499B-A287-B52A89111E8B.jpeg

after

BFD9EB9E-1CCF-4AE5-A48F-60C6D07621BA.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    ekraft84 likes this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Last time I rode in UT - I think near Draper - there seemed to be a healthy amount of XC riders on the mountain. Far more than I usually see in CO. It seems like the CO races have largely died out except for a few (Apex, not sure if the Rattler series is still going on).

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Any of you guys have a Giant Revolt? I was looking pretty heavily at XC bikes, but I think a gravel bike is going to fill the need that I'm looking for better than an XC race rig. We have a lot of gravel riding near me, and a gravel trail 3 miles or so from the house that is easily accessible.

[​IMG]

Once a Wanker.. and ekraft84 like this.
  18. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I made a hobo makeshift gravel bike from a hardtrail MTB frame and a bunch of parts from upgrades we had done on the other bikes. Its measurements arent too far off from an actual gravel bike but its a mutt for sure. 26 and 27.5 wheels, SID World Cup suspension fork, 1x 9speed XT with Tiagra shifters. Its pretty terrible objectively at everything but I love it lol.

Senna likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

It's a gravel bike.

You're not going to a fashion show.

Make sure the water bottle and tires are full and go beat the shit out of it.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The XC scene has had a big resurgence the last 6 or so years with the NICA high school stuff. Last season there were over 7000 racers, and they expect over 8k this year. Pretty crazy that it is the largest high school racing org in the nation when the population is only ~3.5M people total.
    The corner canyon trail system in Draper, Highland, Alpine and Lehi is where I do most of my miles since there are a few trailheads into the system within 10 minutes of my house. But the trails can be crowded, especially when a couple teams are out there.

Senna likes this.