1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Seriously considering a Mark V 270 Weatherby Magnum, trying to resist but it I’m fading fast, resistance is futile.

CBRRRRR999 and skidooboy like this.
  2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

lusting after the Tikka T3X Tact A1 in 6.5 but, they are scarce as hen's teeth right now. everyone showing them, only have the left hand versions. bought a Burris Signature HD 5-25x50 with the 6.5 reticle, 2 days ago for 699 shipped, no tax. will be a nice upgrade from the Vortex Crossfire 2, it is replacing. I couldnt deal with the adjustable objective for Parallax focus. side focus, is where it is at. now I just need to wait for it to get here. need to get proficient with it, for my upcoming whitetail hunt in Canada. next fall cant get here fast enough. bucket list item for me. Ski

lizard84 likes this.
  3. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

euro optic shows them in stock. But I’d get a Seekins HIT instead.

4. skidooboy

as stated above, everyone shows them but, when you look at the part number, or SKU number, the last digit is L... I will give you 3 guesses, and the first 2 dont count what L stands for. Ski

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That's a heavy gun for hunting. I assume you're just going out to a stand?

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

left hand? They have right hand in stock too

7. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

Not according to Tikka’s site. This is a right handed rifle:
    https://choose.tikka.fi/usa/code/JRTAC382L

JRTAC382L is right handed
    JRTAC482L is left handed

8. lizard84

Wow, I went and looked, that is heavy.

9. skidooboy

I stand corrected. my info came from almost ordering one from gunbroker, then looking at the fine print to see the last digit in the sku as L. noted nowhere in the add as right or left. even the pics are right handed... it was noted way down deep in "item characteristics, as left handed: yes. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/963841413

then seeing the same thing on multiple sights, and ASSUMED (sorry guys) that L stood for left, and just stopped looking. I dont want to get stuck with a lefty.

Yes, it is a heavy gun but, it wont kick hard, if it is heavy. ;) I am a stand hunter, no spot and stalk. only weight will be walking, carrying to stand. my Ruger American with the Magpul stock is heavy too. I would like a lighter rifle but, aesthetics is important to me so, if I dont like the way it looks, I wont like the way it shoots or handles. sorry I am shallow that way. some of the grips, and skeletonized stocks are fugly to me. cant do it. drawn to Tikka for their known accuracy, and butter smooth actions.

thanks guys! Ski

10. lizard84

It’s a 6.5, it already doesn’t recoil much.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Don't get me wrong, I love the Tac(I have one, plus 2 more chassis' and use them for match guns), but recoil with a 6.5 is no issue with standard, non-muzzle brake guns. That thing is going to get cold when out hunting though.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Is having a left-hand bolt rifle really a bad thing for righties?
    If you fire offhand, yeah.
    If you fire from support, not really. In fact, I would argue that a follow-up shot is engaged quicker if you don't have to remove your trigger hand, upsetting the attitude of the platform that you will have to reacquire. In precision shooting, this could mean that you pretty much always stay in your original firing position if your cycling is done with the weak hand.

Same with archery. If you're a rightie, shoot a lefty for quicker follow-ups.

13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Didn’t work well for the sniper in saving private Ryan. He got smoked by a tank!

14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Fiction.
    :D

Steak Travis likes this.
  15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Trying to figure what to put on my wife’s 1895sbl for glass. Too bad Leupold discontinued the scope on Chris Pratts. It’s actually a great pairing.

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Vortex Strike Eagle 5x25-56 would be my choice. Good glass at a decent price point.

17. StaccatoFan

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

On a 45-70 lever gun?

MachineR1 and Quicktoy like this.
  19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

A 1-4.5x would be perfect. That whole Scout scope thing is weird to me.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. StaccatoFan

Sorry, I missed that part.

Quicktoy likes this.