1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone doing the GLP1, semaglutide/tirzeptide, weight loss injections?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Jan 11, 2023.

1. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Hey man. He doesnt do it ALL DAY. and besides he's like ...more the boss man...than the actual scooper man. He's more like in charge of people scooping dog shit all day man.

Its more of a white collar than brown collar job man.

2. :stupid:

Nailed it.

If you are considering this program as a "jump start" to help you reach your target weight quicker, AND you are going to make changes to your diet/exercise program...then it might work.

Also not trying to be a mood killer, but that fact is, if you don't make any lifestyle changes, as soon as you stop the chemicals, you will gain the weight right back...quickly.

3. Hormones are produced that interact to determine hunger and satiety (ghrelin and leptin respectively). Essentially, ghrelin tells us to eat, and leptin tells us when to stop. When they are in balance (homeostasis) you aren't hungry or full, then slowly but surely as your stomach gets empty, blood sugar drops, etc the stomach produces ghrelin which activates nerve cells in your hypothalamus which triggers hunger. Then you eat, and the opposite happens due to leptin being produced.

But that process takes time. That time delay is why people who eat too fast will end up feeling bloated and shitty. They had actually eaten enough well before their brain perceived they are full...but they didnt stop.

Also keep in mind that the early stages of dehydration triggers ghrelin production. That is why people often feel the need to snack on airplanes. That recirculated air is dryer than the air in the Sahara desert (in water parts-per-million). On the plane you get dehydrated quickly...and want to snack.

Put those two things ^ together and that is why for many people, an easy way to lose weight is to drink 20oz of water about 20mins before every meal. Then simply eat much slower.

If someone is overweight and hasn't been doing any exercise, you can't just tell them to go run a mile. And you can't expect them to suddenly stop eating like shit overnight. So in the beginning I will tell people not to change anything about their diet. Eat the same stuff they always eat. BUT...drink a 20oz bottle of water 20mins before each meal (or snack), and then put the fork down for a minimum of 30 seconds (preferably 45-60sec) after completely chewing each bite.

If they really did it, I mean gave it an honest run, they would end up losing weight. Then once they start to drop some weight and see some progress, they will get motivated, and then they will want to actually change their diet and start exercising.

Ok, I am getting off the subject. The point is, those chemicals are simply manipulating the body's natural hunger/satiety hormones. Once the chemicals stop, normalcy will resume. Which means if no lifestyle changes are made, it will have been a waste of time and money.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

That's really the crux of the issue.

If you can't make the lifestyle change now, what makes you think anything will change after coming off the appetite suppressant? Seems like an expensive adventure, but hey, if you can make the change, good on ya.

skidooboy and Gorilla George like this.
  5. For the record, I am not saying don't do it...and I am not saying it will not work. It will work. And if you need/want that jump start, go for it.

I am just saying you can't stay on it forever. So at some point lifestyle changes will need to be made so you don't end up right back in the same spot.

skidooboy likes this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

this is the truth!

I went keto as can be seen on the other thread. lost about 35 pounds, maybe more, all I know is that I was down to 130 pounds, forgot where I started. But the cycle of can't have this, the muscle loss and they don't have this and go in and out of Keto was frustrating and basically made life unhappy. When I stopped, life was better, but I got even larger than before. Age also plays a factor, but got up to 180 pounds in the summer, and looked in the mirror and was like WTF.

I'm down to about the 151-155 range and this seems sustainable. I still eat junk, and eat whatever without carb counting or anything. I just don't have the same space for all of it any longer.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Not anymore. I am the p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶y̶ shitty end of the stick now. No more herding cats. :clap: The guy I sold to has a 30-something kid who needs an excuse to be on the family dole. Other than dumb hiring practices, he really can't break anything.

Retirement is a distant shore at this age. I have to doo something to keep me out of the missus' hair. Playing with dogs 30 hours a week is the ticket.

Jeeeeeezus this is thread drift... :crackup:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

What happens when you stop taking it?

BigBird likes this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I woke up on my 40th birthday in October the fattest and most out of shape I've ever been @267, and decided I needed to do something about it. I knew my eating habits were terrible, I eat my feelings, always have, be it sad, happy, angry or depression, a few pounds of chicken wings, or a bag of chips is getting killed for sure. Same when I quit smoking 10 years earlier, I knew it had to come from within, and not just a crutch to lean on something else. I wanted to re calibrate my brain as to what and how much I was putting in my body, before I started refining things, and getting picky about macro nutrients, exercise and all the other stuff. After a bit of research I downloaded the Lose it ap, and gave it a serious try at managing my caloric intake, and guilting me into making better food choices. I stuck with a easily attainable caloric deficit plan, and by mid Nov had easily lost 15lbs. Dec got a bit busy, and as part of my plan I wanted to see if I could maintain it on my own, without logging everything I put in my yap. From then till now, I've gained back 5lbs. Not bad, but not what I was hoping for.

My target was to get back down to about 205-215, and maintain there before I start exercising, but I'm not sure I can get there without it. We'll see. Yesterday I started back on the Lose it tracker and meal prep program I started in October, and am fully committed to it this time, until I get to my target weight. I'm trying to find a rowing machine for home too, and possibly a fan bike. My work schedule/kids doesn't really lend itself to a gym membership, so that will have to do for now. The first month was the hardest, but honestly not that bad. I started feeling much better, and seeing benefits, both physically and mentally which led me to believe I could continue on my own without the accountability of the ap to track my every intake. I'd like to get to that point someday, but for now it's pretty easy to follow. Most of us simply just eat to damn much food because it tastes good, and makes us feel happy.

I was going to quit playing ball this year as my knees were starting to give me signs I was asking too much. If I can get back down to even 210 I can maybe squeeze a few more years out of them. I don't want to quit yet. The last year I raced I got down to 200 from 240, simply by eating better, and less. It's doable.

More power to ya if you think an injection is going to be the magic bean that gets your weight and health under control. I personally don't think it's sustainable long term. What it might be good at is giving you the first step to realizing weight loss is possible, and pushing you into a healthier lifestyle, that you can maintain and sustain on your own, but there is no magic cure for it. It has to come from within, through work and determination. As with all major life changes. Best of luck.

10. auminer

The shit piles back up.

Oh, you weren't asking me. :D

Same answer as the thread topic, though, I'd bet.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Maybe you should just race again.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Back in late 2019 I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. Part hereditary, part diet. They were going to put me on Metformin but I said no, let me fight this without drugs and I did. But I'll admit that when Covid hit, I kind of fell off the wagon. I knew something was out of sorts, but when I finally had an exam in early November, I found out how bad it was. Blood sugar of 220 and over 200 cholesterol.

I'll be the first to admit that I can abuse my body with some regularity. Yet when I find out I'm doing it great harm, I can correct my deficiencies with much vigor. The biggest issue I had was that I ate like a goat. Man I can put away some food, and the worse for you, the better I like it. I've never been heavy but I've been out of shape.

The day I stood on the scale at the Drs. office I weighed 198, this was 10 November. As soon as I walked out of their office, I changed everything about my life. Cut out every bit of crap food and drink I was ingesting. Haven't touched a potato, pasta, rice, soda, chocolate etc etc. Yeah, I'm still having a drink occasionally, but it's Coors Light. Amazing how you get used to crap beer when it's all you can have:D Bottom line to all this...when I stepped on the scale this morning I weighed 183. My blood sugar was 105 this morning. And all it took was my willpower to change. My goal is to get into the high 170's, a weight I haven't seen since the early 80's.

RRP, RightSideUp, britx303 and 2 others like this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

I actually thought about it once the pounds started coming off. "damn, I could fit into my leathers again". Then I remembered I threw them out when they got all dank and mildewy after our basement flooded in 2011. I'm too cheap to buy all new shit. I might lose weight and get fit again, but I'm not risking another smack to the head. The last one gave me enough warning that another one could be life changing. I had my fun, but never say never. I still get the itch every once in a while......

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think you got me wrong. I was saying you should race again so that the weight comes off. Apparently, that's the magic cure. :D I wasn't saying that you should take advantage of your weight loss to go racing.

Anyway, now that you stated your reasons, I have to say: stop being a pussy. Tua got knocked the fuck out and he was back on the field the following week. And he got knocked the fuck out again. Wait, maybe that's not the best example…

BigBird, Dan Dubeau and rd400racer like this.
  15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

It'd be cheaper to spend a grand a month on shots than race bikes.

Gino230 and BigBird like this.
  16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My wife is trying to do Ozempic. There is an online program for reduced cost. Her doc tried to get another type, but the supply was so limited, they pulled it back from use for weight loss because the supply was not adequate for diabetics.

I'm gonna go with low carb and increased activity which has worked very well for me in the past. It will actually save money compared tp the chemical method.

StaccatoFan, Gino230 and Phl218 like this.
  17. Dan Dubeau

See, I hit my head so much I can't understand shit anymore lol.

I lost the weight when racing because I started to try and take it a bit more seriously. It made no change to my results lol.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm sure it would be. But for similar results, I would choose riding a bike over injecting myself with chemicals any day of the week, twice on Sunday. :D

BigBird likes this.
  19. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oh I will!

And just so you know, I was crying laughing while typing my other post! :crackup:

auminer likes this.
  20. auminer

Yeah, that was a good'n!