1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you

Discussion in 'General' started by 88/532, Jan 11, 2023.

1. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Give 2k for it. Starts and runs, but no compression on #2. Known with these cars, head gasket, and probably head rebuild or replace. Would do B1B71B8E-77D0-4ED3-8156-44DD25E29C98.jpeg its 100,000 service also, mainly drive belt. Roughly, put 3k in it. 2010 Mini Clubman.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

if you can pull the motor and reinstall it yourself, yes. If not, fuck no.

it will be cheaper to replace the longblock with a used unit from lkq, eBay, etc… than to rebuild the motor. go that route If you can diy

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why? What’s the motivation?

Want the car? Want a project? Planning to flip it?

It’s only money, and it ain’t my money, so figure out what it’s worth *to you* do whatever reason you want it.

4. 88/532

I’d pull the head and do the service work myself.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, probably. Even if you dump another $3k into it you got a cheap commuter. If it then holds together for 2 or 3 years you’re ahead of the game.

ducnut likes this.
  6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

have you diagnosed what the exact issue is? Also, have you worked on bmws? That’s an e90 motor in there

7. 88/532

I’m retired, have time and space to do it. It could be a flip, or a driver. The car is spotless inside and out, and has been well maintained.

8. No.

In the right light, those wheels are dangerously close to looking white.

wsmc42, cav115, skidooboy and 2 others like this.
  9. 88/532

No, but I have a friends that have, one being a 20 year BMW tech. Both say, roughly 3k will go into it based on the known issue. Car is worth a lot more than 5k repaired.

ducnut likes this.
  10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

if you’re confident go for it :flag:

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's worth more than $2k as parts. Go for it if you have the time and space.

12. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I could see doing that if I didn't already have a couple of projects in the queue. Fix/replace engine, whip it like a red-headed stepchild for a few months and then sell it.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Never heard a damn good thing about those. Personally wouldn't take it for free...

hotnail, ToofPic and YamahaRick like this.
  14. 88/532

Taking the borescope to look see tomorrow. Could shoe horn an LS3 in it also.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're a terrible businessman. You could make $2000 with very little effort. :Poke:

16. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Ha! doesn’t that defeat the purpose of it being a cheap commuter? Don’t get me wrong that swap is ‘Merica as fuck… but I wouldn’t think that would help it’s resale value

17. 88/532

LOL. It has a value as it sits. If I do nothing, and flip it for 2500. I’m 500 ahead.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Not if you're retired.

19. 88/532

Probably won’t. I’m too old to go full retard.

tl1098 likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

We have different ideas of "little effort"