1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-Bikes. Are they murderous?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 8, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I bought a fleet of new fat tire e-bikes for an expansion of my rental biz. No idea what I'm getting into since I'm not a bicycle guy. I guess I'll order spares, a couple service stands and tools.

Biggest concern is people crashing the bikes and jacking them up. I think spills are fairly natural for mountain biking and trails, so I probably just gotta roll with them. Maybe charge a "wear and tear" fee for crashes?

Trying to decide if I should offer kid's-sized electric mountain bikes so the little ones can tag along. Don't want to invite trouble tho.

Beginnings of a website here: www.beartoothebikes.com

I think there's someone here who does bicycle rentals? Any input is appreciated!

2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I own a small bicycle shop, I won't work on E bikes. Multiple reasons, liability on through to most on the market are complete piles of shit. I have more work than I can handle with analog bikes as it is anyway. What brand did you buy? I'm assuming they're hub drive and from Rad Bikes or a similar company from your description. The big mfgs like Trek, Giant, Specialized etc make a good product. Yamaha or Bosch mid drive systems and Panasonic built/sourced batteries.

There's Ebikes and pedal assist "Ebikes". For those that don't know about them, there are three tiers of bikes. Class 1,2 and 3. Class one is pedal assist only and limited to 20mph. Class 2 has a throttle, and pedal assist in most cases, also limited to 20mph. Class three is back to pedal assist only but limited at 28mph.

Hit or miss with "mid tier", for a lack of better word mfgs and downright dangerous with the cheaper ones from what I've experienced. This comes from what I see when people attempt to drop them off with me and the phone calls I get. Best of luck!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    MELK-MAN, TurboBlew, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Get at least one mid-drive Rungu Dualie for the fleet, up charge accordingly. Don’t forget your checkbook.

motion likes this.
  4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

PMooney Jr. and motion like this.
  5. Fuck E-bikes.

VR45 Troll, joec, elevenn7 and 8 others like this.
  6. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

E-bikes are awesome when youre doing a track walk and the only thing allowed are bicycles or walking. I dont know anything about them but an old guy I race with has one that allows him to get around. Hes beat to fuck and cant hardly walk

motion likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I got Aventon Aventures, which are pretty much the same shit as Rad bikes, but I think they look a little better. I watched all the youtube vids and people seem to really like the Aventures, so why not?

They'll pay for themselves within 3 weeks, so I can chuck them in the garbage and replace them as needed. They were only $2K each.

Am I delusional? hahaha

Photo likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

WTF are those things?

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I may be sounding naive, but we dont sue each other in Montana. I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best :)

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Better get used to them.
    Standard pedal bikes are going the way of the Dodo bird .
    I sell mostly cruiser & hybrids. Can't sell them at $50 over cost.
    It's keeping up with the Joneses around here.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It won't be long until the government gets involved.
    Currently it's like the Wild West . I have customers buying POS's from Amazon or other big box stores.
    $900 shit boxes that I would not sell to my worst enemy .
    I've already been sent samples from Speedbox {limiter bypass kit} .

PMooney Jr. likes this.
  12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

13. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

$5k and no cup holder? Eff that!

StaccatoFan likes this.
  15. 418

418 Expert #59

Or.....hear me out now....OR......you can just buy a fucking motorcycle for that money. These manufacturers need to GTFO with these bicycle prices.

Only the west could take worlds cheapest transportation and make it into a $10K hobby.

Fuck. Off.

16. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I bought a used aventon sinch about 3 months ago with 37 miles on it. Turned 950 miles yesterday.I usually ride my gravel or road bike in the morning and the e bike in the afternoon. I don't use the throttle.So far it has been a good bike .You can unlock the speed with the aventon app. did 36 mph down hill the other day fun bike to ride. You should be able to limit the speed on the rental bikes through the app. if you want.

Attached Files:

cpettit and motion like this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They are def too expensive. I think $2K is pushing it. There's a full carbon fiber, full suspension, mid drive 1000W bike on indigogo for about $2,500. That's more like it. Don't know how anyone can justify these $7500 bikes. They're all made in China.

418 likes this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:flag: Murrica! Fuck yeah!

Seriously though, you do make an excellent point!

ducnut and 418 like this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have no room to talk. I just spent 5k on mine and it doesn't even have a motor

20. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I have plenty of motorcycles. Thanks though Karen.

cha0s#242, stk0308 and YamahaRick like this.