1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell, more brain picking...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I did.

2017 Silverado 2500HD. OEM batteries went out last week. I went to AutoZone and Napa, but they didn't have 'name brand' batteries, so I didn't buy them. Got tired of looking and ended up at Wal-Mart to buy their non-name brand stuff instead. Have had good luck with EverStart batteries in my RVs, and the price and warranty was right.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Huh. I just replaced the battery in my 2017 Silver-A-Dough 1500 a couple weeks ago.
    Costco Interstate for ~$100.

For the 2500 is one of your batteries buried by the hinge? Pulling those struts and moving the coolant tank to get it out?

3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have one of the small lithium jump boxes. It charges via USB and can be left on charge. I generally charge it to 100% and it has sat in my truck 24/7 in all weather for over a year losing only 1% of charge. I used it to jump my neighbors old 7.3 ford diesel which had nearly flat batteries, but that wiped out over 50% of its capacity in that one shot. It usually only drops 10-15% starting my boat in cold weather or the occasional gas engine. I've had it about 4 years and have seen no noticeable drop in performance.

I even used it as the main battery when a failed alternator in my truck flattened to battery and I drove home to Cold Spring from Christ Hospital (not in Cleveland) on a very cold day.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’ve had really good luck with the Die hard stuff for the last few years. Get them from advance. Put them under my account if you want it’ll save you about $200 on the pair. Just PM me for the info if ya want. The three years are 125.99 under the shop account.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    BigBird likes this.
  5. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

Noco has some great lithuim ion jumper packs there great and stand behind there product.

I get commercial only ac delco's from autozone there 24 month replacement warranty but there a fraction of the napa/ auto value stuff i can get.

I hate pro rated warrentys

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

BigBird and R/T Performance like this.
  7. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Both batteries were obstructed by a fender bracket. In both cases, I just undid one end of the bracket, and then rotated it out of the way. Getting the passenger-side battery out (OEM battery without a handle) was a massive PITA. Taking the coolant reservoir out would have made it easier, but I avoided that by just cussing at the battery for 20 minutes and eventually pulled it out.

BigBird and ChemGuy like this.
  8. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

During the pandemic I replaced the dead battery in the genesis (trunk location) with a auto zone non AGM battery @ $160

The car is driven very little....maybe 1k miles a year.

1 year later poof...dead again. Got a new battery but this time I keep the 2 Amp 12v tender on it when it sits in the garage for more than a week.

I think a tender will extend the life of any car battery not driven daily.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Trojan used to be the shot for 6V golf cart batteries. They make 12v as well and are expensive. Otherwise Interstate.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My F350 still has its original pair of ford batteries from 2013. The little green dot still glows....Now that I've jinxed myself....:mad:

969 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Pickle is right about quality.

What we see is better quality now from dealer replacements...except delco.

We service a fleet of Rams and when replaced with OEM, we haven`t seen a failure in years. same with ford.
    My Ram is a 2014 with OE batteries.
    Always here there are only two major mfgs, but this works.

We have been an interstate dealer for years, and they are poor now.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Make that .050 amps..... .5 is way high. :D

Once a Wanker.., Cooter! and turner38 like this.
  13. I’ve had good luck with the Everstart stuff, have bought 2 over past few years because they were in stock and I needed them asap. I gave up on Optima after 2 failed after less than a year.

14. This! My wife’s Audi if it sits for a week goes crazy for the first hour or so of driving until the alternator can finally get it charged back up. I even half my golf cart on a tender, just use cheap HF one for that, boat stays plugged in, mower battery comes out for the winter and I’ll top it off once and a while.

15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I agree about interstate being crap now. They were selling them at the shop Im at now before I took over a little over a year ago. Have had to make up 12-15 of them since then. Have been selling Die Hards for about three years now and not had any issues. We sell 8-10 a month these days it seems like.

16. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

This is what I was about to say. After having OEM batteries last 7+ years, the last few I have bought have been OEM. I just replaced the battery in my Sprinter and OEM was only $40 more than going to Advance. Funny how there are lots of comments on here about OEM batteries lasting so long, but nobody gets an OEM replacement.

17. karls

karls Well-Known Member

Many years ago (10+) I worked at an auto shop and at that time there were only three (3) main manufacturers of lead acid car batteries, Exide, Johnson Control, and Delco. The Johnson Control were of a better quality (fewer problems/returns) and included Die Hard, Interstate, and I believe the Walmart battery. When I shop batteries I still try to get one manufactured by Johnson Control

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

That sucks about Interstate. I bought one for an electric boat motor (Torqueedo brand) about 18 years ago. The local rep wanted to come out and check it every few months to see how it performed since it wasn't a typical market for them. I thought this was pretty emblematic of a quality company. Did they sell or get bought by someone since then?

Other than being stupid expensive does anyone have opinions or experience with Trojan brand batteries?

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Condoms and batteries, interesting mix of products.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Having sex will get you all charged up.

969 and Once a Wanker.. like this.