1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I always find it ironically comical that Kimber manufactures in a borough of NYC. Maybe that's the reason they malf? o_O

2. I bought a Kimber 1911 and I don’t think the damn thing ever successful fed a round. I tried different ammo and the damn thing wouldn’t work. Even with aftermarket Wilson Combat mags it wouldn’t load.

I gave it to a beeb member and he modified the feed ramp and got it to work.

It wasn’t an extensive fix, but that’s not the point. I shouldn’t have to make repairs to a new gun just to get it to fire.

GixxerJohn011 likes this.
  3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I wouldn't piss on a Kimber if it was on fire.

Gorilla George and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Yep, for the premium they command they should be perfect. Hell for that price they should do cool shit I didn’t know guns could do…

…I still want one though. Does that make Kimber the RC51 of the gun world?

5. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

I feel your frustration on the Kimber 1911 product. I picked up 9mm Pro Carry II a couple months back. After the first couple hundred rounds, I was almost ready to trade it for another CZ or Glock, as it consistently had at least 1 FTE per mag shot. Started keeping it clean/lubed and always run factory loaded ammo, and it's quite reliable now. Seems to get better the more I shoot it. Maybe some undocumented break-in required?
    20221222_135058.jpg

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. GixxerJohn011

That’s because it’s the wrong caliber and you made the ghost of John Browning angry. :Poke:

7. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

It seems a LOT of gun manufacturers are cranking out crap these days. My guess is that with the insane volume of sales they're doing now, they're either sacrificing quality to meet demand, or they just don't care because behind every one unhappy owner, there are 10,000 new gun owners who will buy a gun, load it and throw it in the nightstand without ever firing a shot.

I now just assume that every new firearm will be like a kit gun that needs tweaking in order to operate properly.

8. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

QUOTE="GixxerJohn011, post: 6053748, member: 26989"]That’s because it’s the wrong caliber and you made the ghost of John Browning angry. :Poke:[/QUOTE]

Got the 9mm mainly for grandson to shoot. I do have this old Rock Island in God's caliber to keep me honest :) Interestingly, it was about 1/3 the cost of the Kimber when I bought it back around 2010 and had never given me any issues with any kind of ammo. That said, it did throw the original front site who knows where when it came off back in March, broke the grip safety prong off the main spring about a week after I replaced the site, then about another week later, broke the metal end holding the spring/guide rod. Pretty cheap to fix all three issues. Just a reminder that if you buy a "cheap" gun, shoot it a lot, somethin's gonna break at some point. Been looking at Springfield Emissary or Ruger SR1911 as possible addition to the fleet.

20221222_143020.jpg [

9. GixxerJohn011

I’ll just leave these here
    E0605EE3-826D-45B0-BF8F-F4DE8C0A9578.jpeg
    35FDA68A-BABC-4BC2-84E9-5D4D6E64FEB0.jpeg

fastfreddie and Mick6R like this.
  10. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Thanks man!!!! I cracked up about the dry firing....when Im at home, my watch will tell me I do about 1.5 to 2 miles just walking around my house during the day....and nothing is sacred with dry firing during that time - sparring dummies in the basement, knobs, light switches, little slate tiles in the kitchen back splash, toaster, honey bottles....shit, I'll dry fire at the corners of the TV while on couch....:crackup:. Good to know about the sight picture and losing it....thanks again!!!

Oh yeah, I get it with the 8 yards....but that grouping....sending triples....I stand by my original "God Damn"....:D

A little pee almost came out reading that....and I dont have to get up in the middle of the night so I know it was laughing at what you wrote....that caused it....:D

11. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

The older Kimber 1911's were good. Maybe pre 2012. After that their quality went downhill rapidly. Not sure what changed at the company.

12. :crackup: :crackup:

Oh for sure. Appliances, racing trophies, door knobs, clocks, electric outlets, nothing is safe in the house. :D

13. motorkas

8A9A26C9-0CFE-4C1B-B0AA-C970AD9B5137.jpeg

Couldnt resist....:D.

I stay out of the Kimber debate because there's a lot smoke on the subject and that usually means there's something behind it but I pulled the paper work on mine and I bought it in 2006 for 904.00 (Custom TLE II). It's been flawless: ran the shit out of it (thousands of rounds) - hollow points, ball, only used 10 round mags in it, used it as a bedside gun for years, wasnt too diligent about cleaning it (dont get me started on field striping a 1911 and putting it back together again...Ive lost count how many times I shot the bushing over my head:mad:). . . I honestly can remember a failure or two and that was when it was filthy....but it's been dead nuts reliable for me.

I hadnt even noticed before but when I pulled it out just now, you can see wear marks in the grip from where my finger grooved the grip (to go along with the wear marks on the safeties, and slide catch....). Absolutely love mine....its the only thing I kept outside of 9mm when I went to standardize all my pistol caliber guns to 9mm...it was my go to for years...

766732FA-F9A9-42E0-A600-492F19E95707.jpeg

14. GixxerJohn011

Anybody looking at switching to a dot look at anything by Scott Jedlinski. He had a YouTube channel for a bit as Modern Samurai Project but mainly sticks to Instagram now.
    1911 Syndicate on YouTube videoed at one of his classes, I’ve watched that so many times I feel like I’ve robbed him.

search 1911 syndicate modern samurai and a bunch of videos will come up

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  15. Saiyan66

A note on dry practice. I was told many years ago by multiple instructors that when doing dry practice at home that it is important NOT to use things such as lightswitches, pictures, doorknobs, etc. The reason for this is that you are conditioning your brain that those are the things you want to shoot. There are supposedly documented cases where individuals have shot those objects in the house that they practiced on instead of the intruder. It becomes automatic in a high stress situation. What they recommend (and what I do) is to use those little 1.5" post-it notes. You can stick them anywhere and practice all you want. Then you take them down when you are finished and there is no tendency to shoot that spot once the post-it is removed. Of course if you already have post-its all over the house you might want to find something different.

16. GixxerJohn011

17. No shit?

Wife: “Babe shoot the intruder!”
    Me: “Fuck the intruder, that doorknob has had this shit coming for years!

Wife: “Where are you? He is coming this way!
    Me: “I’m in the kitchen. Fuck this toaster!

:crackup:

Sabre699 and Saiyan66 like this.
  18. GixxerJohn011

I couldn’t see that. I’ve heard of several documented cases going back to days when cops used revolvers that they found spent casings in their pocket because that is how they reloaded at the range.

19. Saiyan66

Its all about training the brain. The body is a complete shit show without the mind.

A drill I like to do at the range is take a large blank sheet of paper maybe 24" x 36". Then I draw different shapes (star, triangle, circle, square etc) on it and fill each shape in with a different color. Then have a buddy call out either a shape or a color to shoot. So your brain never knows which thing its looking for. Keeps your mind in active mode instead of just "shoot that target as fast as possible" mode.

20. motorkas

There's a reason I dont keep cameras in the house, if I died and somebody reviewed the footage, it would cause more questions than answers....:crackup:.

Youre on a fucking roll today....:crackup:.