1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Cracked the Frame... What went wrong

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RoidRageFool, Dec 20, 2022.

1. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

I will try to keep it to the point. Note this is not my first time pulling a motor, but I know mistakes were made somewhere . I want some input so it doesn't happen when I pull the second motor.

2013 ZX6R on front headlift and rear stand. Wheels still on, suspension still on. Jack placed under motor. Main engine bolts loosened. (Maybe needed to loosen the lower engine bold more. Removed top and middle engine bolts. Jack still under motor. Went to remove lower engine bolt and found it to be tight. Tried to take some pressure off of it, still tight. Thought maybe it was just put on too tight last time. Turned it, and snap. Cracked the bottom of the frame. Where did I make my mistake?

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Maybe should have started at the bottom and worked your way up?

3. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

The bottom one towards the rear? If I remember right that one has the adjuster for the frame? You have to take the nut off from the left side and then turn bolt in clockwise to relieve tension and then slide the bolt out.

RoidRageFool and R/T Performance like this.
  4. RoidRageFool

That would be the spot. If this is true then I was tightening it up and cracked it. Now I know why I still can’t get the motor out. Hopefully I didn’t strip anything. Thanks for the feedback

R/T Performance likes this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Ive always found it's a good idea to break all the bolts loose before removing any of them.

beac83 and RoidRageFool like this.
  6. RoidRageFool

I’m with you. I thought I had to loose enough.

7. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

For fucks sake. Follow the manual.

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

That's plain funny right there.:crackup: Who does that?

RoidRageFool likes this.
  9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Kawi's have a sequence to remove and install motors. Guess this will be one of those things that's learned from experience vice wisdom.

RoidRageFool likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

And for those of you that "trust" your bikes came from the factory properly assembled, trust not. Not to mention it still has a final assembly at the dealership, by the new guy, who may have been a former heavy truck mechanic, whose choice of tools for any job will be overkill.
    No bike is yours 'til you own it. To own it, I mean you've taken it down to the frame and back, properly, while correcting the discrepancies. Now it's the new best friend that you trust with your life.

doubleapex likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

he got the experience immediately after he needed it... hehe

12. TurboBlew

in what world do you live in where a heavy truck mechanic switches to power sports?? :)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

Just tryin' to illustrate a point. I could have said AMI grad. ;)
    Everyone wants to be a motorsports technician...and some places will take anyone just to have a janitor when there's no bikes to assemble. :D

14. RoidRageFool

Worst part about this is I had looked at it earlier in the day on my computer and didn’t go back and check when I was having a problem. Shit happens and another lesson learned that I won’t forget.

Correct, Top, middle, bottom. There will be more lessons learned I am sure.

100% accurate.

15. TurboBlew

powersports are so specialized these days one could specialize in a specific street or dirt or side by sides or personal watercraft model and do well enough.

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

So do GSXR's....They have thrust (threaded) spacers at the rear motor mounts that have to be dealt with once the outer nut is taken off the motor mount bolt(s).

17. fastfreddie

I don't live in those areas, but I could do okay only taking in customers with "competition-style" 2 or 4 wheelers while being selective about what I take in.
    That means I would not work on neglected, mud-caked utility vehicles, bikes with finicky and expensive OEM bodywork, anything Euro...or clapped out SVs. :D

My previous comments were geared towards looking over one's "new" bike cuz I guaranty there will be discrepancies. Some may merely be acceptable so-so issues easily resolved, while others are completely of the WTF were they doing variety.

Honda's have their version as well.

18. TurboBlew

oh yeah I get that. A good friend, who has been wrenching on bikes for years, flat out refuses to work on anything with more than 2 wheels or snorkels. Sorry tricycle riders...lol

There used to be a dirtbike shop here the guy would get $300 for a "new bike service" Basically uneffing what local dealer techs did or didnt do to prep a fresh dirtbike, adding zerks, maintenance items, & setting up the sag/suspension for the owners. He had hundreds of hours worth of work every week.
    A first I thought... man your customers must be rich!
    Now I see what a bargain it was.

19. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Just exactly how much "assembly" is there by the techs at a dealership when they uncrate a bike? I was assuming there wasn't much. Now you guys are making it sound like they install the motors in the frame and stuff.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Peter Hively likes this.