1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering a 2021 RAM 350 with Cummins diesel

Discussion in 'General' started by Alex_V, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Currently have a 2019 F150 and am considering a diesel for an RV or boat towing.. Probably the last big car purchase before retirement, so I would want it to last for a while. A friend of a friend is selling a 2021 RAM 3500 dually with Cummins 6.7 Liter I6 OHV 24V engine in it. Price seems in the ballpark.

So, I read the reviews for this year RAM 3500's and about 20% is "one star" rating on Edmunds.com. I was under impression that Cummins are pretty solid motors, and newish cars shoudl all last reasonable well. But the reviews were not so positive.

Any thoughts on a 2021 RAM 3500 Big Horn dully?

2. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

Been hearing of some recalls where the engines are blowing up for some reason. I'm a Duramax guy myself, no issues ,love mine

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Cummins motors are generally solid. It's just the CP4 on some of the Gen4.5's (think it was gone for 2021), some lifter issues that Ram blames on the wrong oil being used. The emission stuff is the same with all the brands so you aren't really getting any advantage anywhere on that front. If it's got the 68RFE, they don't really tolerate being tuned very well, but there was a new valve body design implemented that should be fine with normal care. If it's an Aisin, they shift like a schoolbus, but you can't really kill them either. It's basically a medium duty trans.

cav115 likes this.
  4. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I have had a few Dodge dually's with the Cummins. Basically a very solid motor but their transmissions are problems unless you get the HO motor that upgrades the transmission to the Aisin transmission. It is not available as an option on it's own to go with the standard output engine.

I got tired of the issues and getting stranded with transmissions that were blowing apart internally and sold my last one after 140K miles and 3 transmissions and bought a Chevy dually with the Duramax and Allison transmission and have never had another issue and have since upgraded the one trailer that added about anothet 5K to my tow weights. I looked at a new Dodge last May but when comparing what I could get for the $$$$ spent I bought another Duramax. I must say next time I will probably just order another Chevy without looking around. That High Country interior is hard to beat!!

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Enjoy watching your $60k truck fall apart around the engine.

G2G, MachineR1 and Gorilla George like this.
  6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

That is my dilemma, I have not heard anything great about Dodge's or RAM's, but it seems that in general new vehicles are built to a greater quality standard than before. With reasonable maintenance how bad are they?

7. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Looked up the VIN, and it is a regular output, with 68RFE Transmission. Probably going to pass.

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Window switches @ 40k tail lights the same.

Took mine back after a few days because the trans would slip between shifts (300-600rpm) was told it's still learning.

Exhaust brake coming on randomly w/o turning it on. Glad I don't live where it snows.

That took 8 months to get fixed.

If you tapped the gas to pull out and hesitate you might as well get out and push. Takes the turbo a week to spool up again.
    Ymmv mine was a 2015 dually.

I know they all have issues but that's my experience

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Seems like the Cummins has been too much motor for the transmission since they started doing it unless it was back far enough where you could get a manual. Must be Dodge isn't smart enough to figure it out or just doesn't care ?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

My experience is they teach the service writers to straight up Bull shit there way through the issues.

I was told the exhaust brake was the truck going into Regen.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

actually….lol… the NV transmissions had issues blowing out 5th and 6th gear. I bought a 2017 brand new with a 6speed which was equipped with a G56 transmission. Swapped the OE fluid for amsoil around 20k miles and found the corner of a gear on the drain plug. At 30k miles I had to put a clutch in it because the dual mass flywheel started slipping…. but I can honestly say I miss that truck, towing was a breeze with the exhaust brake and being able to actually downshift and hold the truck in a specific gear.

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The heater grid bolt in the intake is good for falling out and going straight into the combustion chamber, if it doesn’t get stuck in the intake valve, first.

13. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Yeah, I think I am ging to pass on this one. I have enough projects, don't need a 55K project truck.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm curious...are you towing a dozer?

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Same truck

150k on mine

Original owner

Zero issues

Same motor, 68rfe trans

Don't try to out engineer a thousand engineers and you should be fine

cav115, omatter34 and Triple X like this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Anything with a turbo is a problem waiting to happen. They're just to delicate for heavy duty operation unless you have the shop and skills to fix yourself.

17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Every highway truck built has a turbo, so wrong.
    And there are multiple diesel pickups that are known to be ultra reliable, and all have turbos. Just don't expect it to make 450hp and 1000lb/ft of torque out of less than 7L displacement

5axis and Wheel Bearing like this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Factory.

A7C40B89-3C9C-4DAC-A6D7-E874C0BBB1DB.jpg

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it, if it fits your needs. The only one I’ve driven rode rougher than hell. I’d be looking at 3/4T well before looking at a 1T dually. Just know, if you’re going with a Cummins, you’ll want to buy the Banks intake that eliminates the grid heater.

19. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

If it fits your needs I'd get it.
    I had a 2006 2500 with the 5.9.
    260,000 miles towing with no troubles.
    I've heard all the stories about the transmission and the truck falling apart around the motor.
    None for me.
    I downgraded my trailer size so I bought a 2021 1500 with the gas 5.7.
    Amazing interior and truck.

20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Oh, I know they exist, I should have finished the sentence with "just don't expect it to be million mile reliable with that kind of power"