1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kentucky peeps....MCO transfer of ownership of a trailer?

Discussion in 'General' started by gapman789, Nov 28, 2022.

1. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Backstory......I'm in Ohio, I bought a trailer in Virginia at a dealership. The Virginia dealership put my name/address on back of MCO at time of purchase and notarized it.

In Ohio, i simply take the MCO and B.O.S. to the license branch to register it and get plates.

Fast forward 2 yrs and I just sold this trailer to a guy in KY (local to me). I sold it on a Sunday, he said don't worry about a notary, i have one..I said cool.....

On the back on this MCO, there are about 6 lines for the new owners to put their name on and have it notarized as the trailer is sold/resold over the years. So i said just put your name on it, have it notarized by your notary and that's it and the trailer is officially yours. As KY peeps and I know, boat trailers, enclosed trailers, open trailers, etc...aren't registered and/or tagged in KY.

Soooo, dudes dad takes MCO and my old registration to their County Courthouse (which is where all title transfers are done in KY) and they said I need to fill out a portion of the "APPLICATION FOR KENTUCKY CERTIFICATE OF TITLE OR REGISTRATION".

I think that is all unnecessary. New owner puts his name in the box under the box with my name on the MCO that was notarized when i bought the trailer, and have it notarized.

Am i missing something? I think the clerk just gave dude bad info as if he were trying to license a commercial tractor trailer or something.

ky title.jpg

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Can't help with KY laws, but I always suggest going with Maine trailer registrations regardless of situation

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Dang Steve…at least I never actually had to bother you with paperwork, and this is IL we’re talking about.:D

4. gapman789

You almost did though...lol...I'm hoping my current situation is like yours which is the fine lady at the counter gave the owner bad information.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Truth. Tell him to have all his documentation for transfer for KY etc ready to go and set up camp. That’s what I did.

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

What a crazy coincidence; I had to go in today to renew the tags on my Kendon trailer. In Kentucky. And it has a title.

bpro likes this.
  7. gapman789

Why though?

" Privately owned and operated trailers used for the transportation of boats, luggage, personal effects, farm products, farm suppliers or farm equipment do not require registration. Trailers used for commercial purposes must be registered."

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

A title shows ownership and is not the same as registration.

9. gapman789

In KY, you don't need to register/tag a trailer.

The mco notarized in the new owners name will show ownership....just as it did when i bought the trailer from the dealership and the mco was notarized in my name. I took that to the license branch in Ohio and got tags for it.

I've had 18 MCO's for trailers, never a title. IDK.

sheepofblue likes this.
  10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I have titles for all three of my trailers but only one is registered and tagged. I tagged the boat trailer to avoid potential issues when out of state

gapman789 likes this.
  11. sdg

sdg *

Without getting political, there are many trolls in dmv's across the nation who relish in making you suffer.

RRP, gapman789 and YamahaRick like this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. 25 years ago I had a boat/trailer. Didn't need a tag. Three years ago I got my Kendon from a individual and it came with a title. Had to be signed off the same as a car and has a tag. I don't know what to tell you.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Sounds like the DMV is the same everywhere. Depends on who you get at the counter and what kind of day they're having as far as the answer you get.