1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Hi neighbor! If you need another person to kill some hogs...

Plus I need an excuse for a long gun...

I really wish the gun collection hadn't been considered a marital asset during the divorce. I miss that 6.5x.284.

2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Motorkas opened my eyes with some caniks yesterday. I had transferred many but shot none. Feeling the trigger in the shop doesn’t do them justice. The pull and reset are far superior to any striker fired gun I’ve shot and many , many hammered guns. He also brought along stribogs and A5s. More guns I’ve handled but never shot. I have seen the light! Thanks bro it was a great time. More to come…

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    StaccatoFan likes this.
  3. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Let's talk guns today..
    So I took my 10yr old out to the range, first time ever shooting, showed excellent maturity and discipline. So this range apparently has a youth club. So what are some options for decent kid firearms?
    Fyi, he was shooting a HK416 22lr. A little bit long and heavy for him.

Attached Files:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I started my son @ 8 on a 410 shotgun then @ 9 a 22 lever and Im not sure of the order after that. I know at 12 or 13 he had a pair of Ruger vaqueros for cowboy shooting. He’s 28 now and has a very decent collection that spans a few genres.
    Bench shooting you can get away with oversized guns and still teach fundamentals. Once away from resting the firearm the biggest thing is to have something that they can handle size and weight. Shooting skeet Thursday morning at my house with all the in-laws there were three guys a 18 , 20 and 28 year olds that couldn’t use the guns properly due to size and weight.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Are there any NRA Youth Programs near you?

When I was 11, I participated in this program. It went something like this...
    A prerequisite Safe Hunter course to teach safe firearms handling. (One week...it may have been two days a week apart).
    The Program itself goes straight into Marksmanship. 50' rimfire for score. Progressive levels of proficiency awarded from Pro-Marksman through Expert, followed by Distinguished. They supplied the rifles - single shot, bolt action, peep sights. Once a week. 50 rounds, iirc.

I learned how to be a Marksman. More correctly, a Sharpshooter. My older brother made Expert. Then we moved.
    Those lessons have stuck with me for the rest of my life. There is not an accurate weapon that I ever shot that didn't deliver a first shot kill (bullseye).

Check it out.

RonR and Wingnut like this.
  6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’ve been shooting for a long time. I think dad had us on a Ruger 10/22 early. Single shot 20ga and 410 for birds . Then rifles was a 243 but moved to bigger stuff pretty quick

I think I’m going to start mine out on a 10/22 then suppressed short barrel 6.5 creedmoor. The suppressed recoil is pretty tame and smooth or my 6.8 AR could be good.

this is me pretty young with a 30-30 but i shot my first deer with a 270.

anyways good suggestions above from the other guys. Teach them young, they’ll take it seriously and respect guns for a lifetime
    [​IMG]

StaccatoFan, RonR and Wingnut like this.
  7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I think the first 22 should not be a semi like the 10/22. A bolt action or a lever (perhaps pump) because it requires a meaningful action to reload another round. Teaches each shot to be placed.

Saiyan66, RonR and Wingnut like this.
  8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Got my MSP letter to pick up my Sig XTen this morning. I'll be picking that up next week. I'll be scheduling an hour at Guntry in Owings Mills to put my first 150 rounds through it.
    Probably bringing the Canik Rival, too.

I MAY also be acquiring a Sig P226 Legion....cause that's just a sweet freakin' gun.

Alex and I were at Guntry last night.....He likes my SFX Mete, I like the Rival....ran about 250 rounds down range between the two of us.

I started him with a S&W AR15-22 this year...but that didn't last long....I think I'm going to use that as my winter indoor 100 yard plinker....just need an optic I like for it.
    He's got a Savage Axxis II in .223/5.56 with a Vortex 5x25-56. @Steak Travis I have nothing against the 6.5 Creedmore....my Bad Rock Precision rifle is a 6.5, but that's a bit of a pricey round. I'd consider .223/5.56 for your kid or even .308. DelMarVa doesn't care about the green tip ammo, so I can get my knucklehead a 150 round box of 5.56 and let him make the DelMarVa steel plates go "PLINK" for a couple of hours for about $100/ammo cost....then we hit Arby's on the way home and it's just a good day.

Steak Travis and Wingnut like this.
  9. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Yep...I started my son with a single action .22 pistol (Heritage Arms)...then a lever action rifle .22 (Rossi) ...then a semi auto .22 (Ruger 10/22).

I wanted him to focus on single shot placement, before I let him unload with the 10/22 on the zombie hoard that was fast approaching. :D

Regards,
    Chad

10. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

The Appleseed program is a great place to start for new shooters (and old ones alike).

https://appleseedinfo.org/

Personally I started with a .22lr bolt action single shot. We used CB's in it so we didn't need hearing protection and had a blast shooting that thing. There wasn't a Pepsi or Coors can left alive at our cabin after that rifle came out!

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Y'all need to up your game. I started my daughter on a Mini14:D

[​IMG]

RonR, 2Big4Bike and britx303 like this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yeeeeaaah buddy! :D

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Broome could have 10 of those at that price.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

An awesome day at the range today, Hey Scott, who's driving the red Ferrari to the Manatee gun club to shoot machine guns? I found his choice of vehicle to drive to the middle of nowhere hilarious, must be planning on stopping a the car wash on the way home.

The new Aero AR-10 build was spot on, I didn't even bore sight it, just a precise leveling setup and it was a inch left of my point of aim from the get go, Lapua 167 gr was liking the stainless steel barrel. My previous Aero AR-10 while functioning perfectly didn't group well and it was rough on brass. I highly recommend the Aero SS barrel option.

The MPA AR9 functioned perfectly and its a pretty soft shooter, definitely a fun platform. The holosun HS510C however was having windage adjustment issues, contacted the seller and its going back, I think I'll put a 1x6x24 on it instead.

16. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Grandson is 12. Got a M&P 15-22 for him to shoot about a year ago. 22/45 for handgun practice. He enjoys shooting the GSG MP40 replica and the PSA AKV, both 9mm. Let him shoot Kimber Pro Carry II 9mm 1911 last weekend. He handled it well.

17. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Fluid – all over computer screen. . .:crackup:every time I see animal vids, I always think of you and can’t lie, when I first watched that one – I thought you’d get eaten as well. . .BUT. . .I also do like it when the animals win. . .every time I hear “help me” at the end of that video, I laugh hysterically. . .:D

Thanks for the amazon link (I have the same problem - really got to get the app off my phone)!!!!:D You got to tell me what you think of it 4in Canik (especially compared to the baby and big Caniks) when you get a chance to run it. . .you’re dead on about the Glock 19 size (that what my brother CC's). For me, confidence in shot placement is everything so want to pick your brain a little about this since you have way more practical experience. I personally hesitate to go below 4 inches (its one of the reason’s I like threaded barrels – extra length in smaller packages (that didn’t sound right but. . . pushing through:crackup:). . .anyway, you got me height wise by 4 inches and about 20 pounds (but we seem to be built similarly) so I would think you’d be fine with a larger frames CCing. . .what have you noticed carrying 4.5 to 4 to 3.5 inches. . .and just as importantly – what do you notice in your groups and shot placement (cause I know you got the round count to tell a difference if there are any major ones). I just can’t shake the hard lessons learned about being prepared for the .01% of scenarios so that’s why I’m curious. Ron said the same thing on Sat about how he keeps going smaller with his CC (and he’s got me by the same height and weight difference as well). One thing I definitely notice with the regular Caniks is that the grips are just too long in T shirts so I like the shortened grips of the SF but really curious about what you've learned messing around with different set ups. . .Thanks for everything (and as you can see, you definitely started some shit with your original reviews of the Canik. . :bow:)

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. motorkas

Holy shit – you win the heavy platform award. . .:D. Personally, I wont take shots over 200 yrds hunting even though that CZ is guaranteed MOA to 600yrds, and MOA at 1000yrd if you use Hornady ammo in it. I’m curious about going out farther than 500yrds on paper (furthest I’ve been on steel) but I just can’t stomach the cost of 300 win mag ammo to practice on paper (unless preparing for a trip – I think I spent close to 500.00 dollars in ammo just practicing for Africa - it was worth it - but still irked me just the same). The 6.5 is less but I still get pissed when I see the per round price. . .I absolutely love your rig. . .all 18 lbs of it. :bow::D

19. motorkas

Who would have guessed meeting a “stranger” from a motorcycle forum would actually turn into reconnecting with someone who you got time in the paddock with. . .:crackup:

Had a fucking blast brother and it worked both ways seeing the light – never would have guessed double stack 1911’s would feel so good. . .and that I would actually fall in love with the 45 version of them. Can’t thank your enough for bringing those out and can’t wait to do it again man!!!!:bow:

RonR likes this.
  20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

that’s why the TP9SFX and MeteSFX are a deal compared to the Walther Q5. I shot both well, and for the price, Canik is ~1/3 the cost

StaccatoFan likes this.