1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More riders?

Discussion in 'General' started by sheepofblue, Nov 18, 2022.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Comfort...
    You can do a trackday and just push yourself/machine as hard as you want to... if you want to push hard... you can. You want to leisurely putt-putt around for a few laps... you can.
    That is not the mindset for a race.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. MattTries

MattTries Member

Alright, I'll keep it shorter this time, hah. The above part of your post was my favorite part of the weekend as well--our experiences sound very similar. Though your MWSS stall and orderly takeoff sounds like it'd be pretty funny to watch and anxiety-riddled to experience! Actually... I forgot that Farrell was one of the guys that pushed me to sign up as well. He was doing his normal walk around and just say 'hi' to people at a Road America track day. I asked him about the Learning Curves course and we talked for like 10 minutes. The takeaway from that conversation when I mentioned I'm not sure if I'm ready yet was him saying something to the effect of "You're absolutely ready now. When I started we didn't even have track days. Just be smart and go out and learn it as you go--you'll be fine."

That's why it's bumming me out a bit reading through this full thread about declining race entries. It also probably explains why so many racers go out of their way to help new people out in the sport--increased numbers is just healthier for everyone involved. I believe there are ways to get people like me that are on the fence to make the jump from track days to race days. It seems like a massive hurdle when in reality it wasn't--but the lack of easily digestible/thorough information about what to expect and what you need to do makes that little hill seem like more of a mountain to an uninformed eye.

I'm hoping to pay it forward and get another people from track days involved this and coming years. I'll be rather upset if I got into this whole thing too late and don't get to try to transition from "I just want to survive this weekend" to "I'm winning that race win this weekend".

Gino230 likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I believe you can for sure get to a point of winning/podiuming in the novice classes. Just put in the work, and I would encourage you to get some training at some point.

Winning in expert maybe possible but is a lot more work and a lot more money. Plus it depends on what class you are choosing?

4. MattTries

MattTries Member

I've got no delusions that I'll ever be winning expert races--natural talent on a bike isn't something I have, and I seem to learn everything the hard way. But I know I don't want to be content with just having "been there" either. I'll for sure look into more training, hopefully something race-oriented in the coming years.

It's a stock motor '01 Sv650.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Because it's dumb...and not racing

6. Boman Forklift

Research YCRS or Ken Hill, he worked for them for years. There are others too, but I’ve had experience with both of them and IMO they are better than some of the other well known schools.

MattTries likes this.
  7. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

As they say Racing is expensive but also takes commitment and is very single focused above all else.
    Getting into with friends helps, good support is very important and can't be discounted. Being single, no kids is a plus makes it easier to be focused. Winning makes the commitment easier, your money spent has no justification to others needed.
    Have lots of money!
    Not crashing a lot and hurting yourself too much will add years to your racing adventure.
    Tires are the biggest expense find help there. Live close to at least one track!
    My recipe stir not shaken add to taste.

8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Here is my suggestion. If you can swing it, make an early season trip to Talladega or Roebling and make a race or two with WERA. Leaving WI in Feb or March to race in the south is well worth it. Get a buddy from around your area to travel with you and you will have a great time. I don't know where in WI you are, but is an easy one day drive from Milwaukee to Talladega, if you are young.

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

:stupid: While it was only a trackday, I left a snowstorm in Wisconsin in February for a trackday and 75 deg weather in Louisiana. It was glorious.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I remember the first time I went racing. I had been dragging my feet for a couple of years, afraid that I would just be in the way. I was nervous as hell. I kept pestering the friend who get me there with questions, mostly procedural. I can't remember what I asked at one point and he looked at me and said:

- "What, you think you're gonna finish in the top 10 of something?" (That was a time when there were lots of bikes on the grid)
    - "Uh, no but…"
    - "So don't worry about it."

So I went back to whatever I was doing, thinking "God damn, aren't you supposed to be my cheerleader?" :( I mean, I had a CBR 900RR (that went from being my street bike to track days to racing) and had to run with the big guns in the open class but come on, manage a brother's ego a little bit. My friend had led my path the entire way from the street to racing (he was two or three years ahead of me) and by then was a consistent winner, so I fully trusted his assessment of my abilities and didn't feel very good. :crackup:

Fast-forward to the end of the race. I've literally just had the best experience of my life. Far better than the first time I had sex. Found myself on the final lap battling two other bikes. Guys running wide on the grass and shit. Can't wipe the smile off my face. As soon as they postthe results, I'm standing there. Absolutely no idea how many guys in the lead pack had checked out on us.

I get back to the garage:

- "So, how'd you do?"
    - "Sixth. Barely missed out on top five."
    - "Well I'll be damned…"

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Having a friend / someone to show you the ropes the first weekend is huge I think. I'd been going to Shannonville for years to spectate, had done 2 of Michel Mercier's Fast schools, wanted to race but never had the balls to jump in. One day Kris, T500 racer on here, walked into my shop looking for parts, he saw all the race posters on the walls, we got to talking and got to be friends. He was racing vintage with the VRRA and RACE, said why don't you do it, you can pit with me, I'll show you how it works etc. Between that and also having a high school friend die that winter it was enough to push me over the edge, thought you know what, I could go at any time, if I want to do something I should do it.
    I had a bike that fit some classes so I rolled the Bandit into the shop and started stripping the street stuff off it. Kris gave me advice on prepping the thing, ordered some leathers and started racing at 45. Raced for 10 years, won a couple class championships, had several get offs, a couple big ones requiring trips to the ER and I'm really glad I did it. Met alot of great people, made new friends we still see today.

12. Boman Forklift

My first time on a road race bike was at a California Superbike School, at mid Ohio, with my dad. Back then they did two track sessions and some classroom stuff. After the first track session I came in and told my dad, man that is better than sex!!!

HPPT likes this.
  13. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Dang, I wish I had that experience. My first race result was a high side two laps into my first race and losing about three hours of memory. Just barely remember my first launch :)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

Hahaha, I had plenty of crash experiences. Unfortunately I wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to racing.

I actually won my first novice race and most of my first year I either won or crashed at Willow Springs. I wasn’t smart enough to back off.

My last race I ran ran into a wall in Las Vegas trying to keep up with Shane Turpin when he was expert and I was an amateur at a CCS Endurance race.

HPPT and mpusch like this.
  15. TripleN

TripleN New Member

If you break down the cost per lap like the geek I am, TD's are way cheaper compared to racing. The atmosphere is more laid back at a TD meaning if I want to skip a session, I can do that but still have 5, 6, 7 chances to get on track the same day. Some people especially in todays society are just not that competitive and the ones that are of the mindset are already racing or will soon. I've loved the racing aspect of it, one winter I was getting bored and I convinced myself I was going to go racing so I did, the hurdle wasn't that big, especially having already done track days but the problem I've noticed in todays society is that everyone wants everything handed to them and their questions answered instead of being self sufficient and doing the work themselves. Heck, I spent hours reading the WERA rule book, yep geek again but I know 95% of today's track day riders won't do that or take the initiative to go racing unless they have someone pushing them into it. I've convinced 2-3 track day guys to go racing and will continue to do as much as I can. You have to love it, budget properly, and make wise decisions to stay in the sport with any sort of longevity.

Gino230 and Michael Hausknecht like this.
  16. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

This thread has done me a world of good! I am so stoked to get back on a track soon! My last race was July 2022 and I am way overdue. I also see that with the right mindset and practice I will speed up.

I've said this before. To any new riders get a starter bike that is easy to use and easy to ride. My first road racer was a tz250 at the age of 59. DUMB. I have since got two other vintage bikes that are easier to ride and learn on. The tz is my favorite piece but now is relegated to special occasions like the Barber Concours d' Elegance event.

Even with a rocky start and not knowing anyone in my first two events, it is so worth it.

Boman Forklift and HPPT like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

This is pretty inspiring to read. At 59 you started out on a TZ250. Man, that’s a lot of stuff to figure out.

What are you riding now? If you are in n S Cal, I will come out and help you in the pits some race weekend.

dave3593 likes this.
  18. dave3593

The first couple times on the tz was a mess. Bump starting by myself, fouling plugs, kill motor and be stuck. Twice I almost flipped it over forward because the brakes are so abrupt. That and the light turn in are still what fouls me up when I get off my other bikes. But occasionally it all works and I hear angels sing.

I always travel by myself so I sure could use help especially on week ends when I am riding two different bikes. Fortunately for loading/unloading there is always those ready to help.

My two other bikes are an FZR 600 and an RZ350. I ride from Nelson Ledges in northern Ohio to Barber in Alabama.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Well bummer, that’s too far away. When I raced it was on a 89 FZR 600 from 90-92ish. Funny the FZR is probably about as quick as a SV 650 now And back then I thought it was plenty quick enough to scare the heck out of me.

20. dave3593

It is a really good bike. I just don't like the weight.