1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drive sprocket wiggle

Discussion in 'Tech' started by fzrkidd, Nov 22, 2022.

1. fzrkidd

fzrkidd Well-Known Member

I feel like the new drive sprocket I just installed is a little too narrow. I double checked the stock sprocket for any washers or shims and cannot find any evidence of one. It has a slight bit of wiggle after tightening the bolt down to torque spec. Is this normal?? Or should it be solid with no wiggle room at all??

2. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Year, make and model of bike might help. Some wiggle, some don't it depends on the design.
    Although you did say "bolt" so I would guess that you mean a single bolt into the center of the output shaft and
    as far as I am aware those should not wiggle.

3. fzrkidd

18 Honda CBR 600 RR with a new Vortex sprocket. Converting from 525 to 520. Yes, the single bolt into the center of the output shaft is correct.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You need to get 520 cush drive when you do the conversion.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

a what??

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  6. fzrkidd

I'm gonna hope he just means a 520 rear sprocket that goes ON the cush drive.

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

It was a joke

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Check the thickness of the two sprockets at the center. Sounds like the bolt has bottomed.

9. fzrkidd

I knew it was a joke =-)

Shenanigans likes this.
  10. fzrkidd

I have Vortex working on it. My new sprocket is 16.7mm which Vortex says is to spec per their CAD and measures the same as their current stock. My stock Honda sprocket measures 16.9mm however, so I'm not sure what is gonna happen. Either way I'm pretty happy with the support so far, and I'll keep this post updated as we reach a solution!

11. fzrkidd

As a conclusion to this issue ... I ordered a SunStar Sprocket just to see what the difference would be if any ... It measures 16.85mm and fits perfectly. Vortex said if I couldn't figure out a solution with their sprocket I could send them back so I'll be doing that this week.