1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steve Earle: Anyone a fan?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I had one of those moments when Kris Kristofferson opened for Blue Rodeo at the Canada day concert in Toronto we always went to every year. Totally unexpected, and it was awesome when he came back out and played a few tunes with them later on. Was great at the time, be even better looking back on it afterwards.

Another one when Alan Doyle from great big sea happened to be in a club we were in while another band was playing and he got up on stage and played a few songs with them then faded back into the crowd. Wish I could remember what band it was, I'm terrible with band names and albums, but they were actually pretty good too.

Once a Wanker.. and Itey like this.
  2. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

My big moment was the first time I saw Guy Clark. He was at a little club in Greenville, SC and we got there early and got a table up front. After his first set he walked over and asked if we minded if he joined us. I bought him a beer and we chatted between shows. Cool Guy! I was a big fan before that and an even bigger fan after.

Itey and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I downloaded the JTE essentials playlist the other day, and daaaaayyyyyyyymmmmmm, he can sing. Too bad he's gone, it would've been great to see how he grew as an artist. RIP JTE.

Once a Wanker.. and auminer like this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'll throw Dale Watson and Scott H Biram in this pool of recommendations. Dale's writing can swing between old school(think Merle Haggard era)country and rock-a-billy. While Scott bounces around between blues, roadhouse music, and country-ish.

5. sharkattack

Been listening to a lot of JTE lately. He’s a great storyteller and combines those tales with some great music.
    It’s a shame he’s gone.

6. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

To the OP, yes.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I was mostly let down after paying for last week's John Prine tribute live-stream Fiona and his boys put on to honor him, on his birthday week. Most of the artists performing his songs were up-and-coming 'Oh Boy' label signees, along with a handful of notable artists. I realize schedule conflicts would have presented obstacles, but I expected it to be better, given his many admiring peer performers.

8. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Trey Pendley Daddy's Son or When Tomorrow starts without Me, Cody Jinks Fast Hand, Bailey Zimmerman Never Comin' Home

9. sharkattack

Some of you more knowledgeable folks, can you turn me on to some other artists that you think I’d like if I really like JTE?
    Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Taylor Swift.

969 likes this.
  11. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

They may have already been mentioned but I like Hayes Carll and James McMurtry

sharkattack likes this.
  12. sharkattack

Thanks! I’ll give them a listen.

13. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

I've been listening to Lucero lately

14. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Met Steve many years ago at a gig in Chicago - an artist I had worked with was opening for him. Super nice dude. Watched the show from stage left and it was great - when he turned to the band with his back to the crowd made hilarious faces to the band.....

LOVE Chris Knight.... "Framed" is a favourite track for sure. Some killer players on that first album of his.....

t

RRP likes this.
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

William Elliot Whitmore

Start with Animals in the Dark, then Field songs.

I have a couple more ideas, but I don't want to dilute this post and detract from WEW.

16. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Steeldrivers. Hammer Down and Reckless.

Shame that Chris Stapleton moved on, but dude had too big a voice for that genre.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man