1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just landed in Cincinnati for a wedding

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Nov 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

It's not average chili, it is its own thing. It's not fancy or anything, and surely there's better food in Cincy, but it's fun to try different fast food in new places. Hint: if you hate cinnamon, you won't like it.

rd400racer likes this.
  2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Chili and beer, glad I am not on your flight home. :D

HPPT and Gorilla George like this.
  3. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

There is a funky bar called the Blind Lemon close to downtown. Live music every night. The music is sometimes great and sometimes bad. Very tight tables but the variety of people is always a show. I go there when traveling for work. I like to drink a couple Guinness on tap and relax.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    USracer900 and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

If you want a really good meal that is not institutional crap there is the restaurant "Through the garden". A real chef, great seafood dishes and steaks. Priced right. Blue Ash area.

5. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Honestly, given the fact that you really only have time during the day on a Friday, I would say go to the Air Force museum today. Then check out things downtown tomorrow before you fly out. I can't think of much cool stuff to do during the day on a Friday in early November.

If you are looking for places to eat downtown, Lucius Q, and The Sacred Beast are great. Also Tafts Ale House is pretty cool inside.

If you are toward the North end of town, Jungle Jim's in Fairfield is worth a visit. Make sure you go to the bathroom and check out the international section.

While you are downtown, you might as well drive across the Roebling suspension bridge.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  6. jdanhires

jdanhires Well-Known Member

Problem with the AF museum is it's about a 2.5hr round trip drive. Worth the drive, but with a 5pm wedding today he wouldn't have much time there.

Sticking to the museum theme - American Sign museum is worth a visit; as is the Cincinnati Museum Center.

I'll point out that the international section is not in the bathroom at Jungle Jim's. :)

I'd skip Rhinegeist. Taft and Braxton are much better. If you're looking for a hole-in-the-wall bar I'd recommend O'Malley's in the Alley. If you want to drink and eat at a place with a great view of Cincinnati - Incline Public House on the west side.

As for your Skyline experience...Ludlow location or don't even bother going.

John

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. cincigp

Depends on where they are staying. If they are in Mason, its less than an hour each way to the Air Force Museum, and totally worth it.

Razr likes this.
  8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea that museum will make you proud to be an American:flag:

9. jdanhires

Ah, yeah very true. I thought he was down by the airport....

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

How is it compared to Eli's? The first couple times I went to Eli's it was incredible. The last time it was just okay, but it's been a few years since I've been there.

11. cincigp

I think once you get to a certain level, the pulled stuff is hard to differentiate. I would say in general it was at least as good as Eli's, maybe a bit better. The atmosphere is really cool though, and the burnt ends and brisket were very good.

cBJr likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hahaha. I was born in Germany! Have fun over there.

13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Think tear gas only stronger...

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

This thread has me craving White Castle jalapeño cheeseburgers:bow:

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Surprised how clean it is here. You are right, all the people are very nice.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It's a ruse. Trust me, I coached hockey against those people for 12 years...they're mean as pissed off snakes:D

17. Tim_B730

Tim_B730 Active Member

Not sure what part of town you're staying in or will be close to, however if you're into bourbon you can check out a few local distilleries like New Riff, Second Sights Spirits, and Karrikin. If you're content on chuggin a few beers while you're in town I'd skip Rhinegeist and hit up Sonder, 50 West or High Grain. A little smaller and better quality, especially Sonder.

Some other sights to check out other than the National Underground Railroad, Carew Tower Observation Deck, Findlay Market and Fountain Square.
    The Bungles will probably be practicing outside today so you could always stop by for a laugh.

18. Tim_B730

Tim_B730 Active Member

If you want to check out a couple of bike shops.

Piston Society in OTR
    The Powersports Store (11574 Gondola St, Cincinnati, OH 45241)

19. jdanhires

Carew tower deck is closed. With their new bubble, I don't think the Bengals will be practicing outdoors where the poors can see them.

20. cincigp

There is also Full Throttle indoor Karting. Not cheap, but pretty fun.