1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomatoes: the underrated hero in the burger

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Oct 30, 2022.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I had a craving for junkfood yesterday and got a bacon cheeseburger from Five Guys. The burger wasn't great and the weak bottom half of the bun was a total letdown, unable to hold the contents inside. That meal would have gotten a failing grade had it not been for the tomatoes. God damn! That restaurant must have an organic tomato patch in the back. With every bite I took, the tomato made me forget the rest of the burger. And I am not the veggie type at all. So long as I can have potatoes, I could go the rest of my life without eating vegetables and not experience much of a loss. That's how good that tomato was!

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

German Johnson for the win.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I do not like tomatoes, Sam I am.
    I will not eat them, no thank you ma’am.
    People think they’re vegetables but they are actually fruit.
    But I don’t like ‘em so it is moot.
    On a burger, on a salad or on a sandwich.
    F you hippy, life’s a bitch.

DJ Baker, mike w, JBall and 4 others like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dammit, I forgot. When I think of a burger, I think bread, meat, veggies.

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Agree that Five Guys bun sucks. Absorbs any moisture from the burger and fixin's and turns to mush...pisses me off...but
    the kid and girlfriend like Five Guys, so once in a while I'll go there. Five Guys is all about the fries for me...those Cajun fries....delish.

Went to the range last night and hit Red Robin afterwards....the bun is better...the burger sucks....overcooked and dry.
    Kudos to their onion rings...if I gotta choose....Onion rings win over fries every damned day.

Tomato on my burger...sometimes yes....sometimes now. Kind of a "am I in that mood" thing.
    But, burger should have bacon, pickles, light onion, ketchup and mustard.

I do NOT like Mayo as a general rule...Prefer Miracle Whip....both are toxic waste, but at lease MW has a taste/flavor and doesn't look like liposuction goo. With that being said, I finally realized why I occasionally crave a Whopper....the ketchup and mayo mix on that burger is the unique taste in the fast food market that makes it appeal to me. Just like the Thousand Island "Special Sauce" in a Big Mac.

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Lettuce goes on top of the bottom bun to keep the patty drippings from turning the bun to mush...

But yes tomatoes are goodness...

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No lettuce, no pickles and definitely no tomatoes. Keep your ketchup to yourself and mayo has no place on a burger.
    Cheese, grilled onions and bacon once in awhile.

it’s a burger not a f@cking salad!

Didn’t realize that 5 guys had made it to France. Pretty cool it has.

Shenanigans likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Do you really want "special sauce" from a place called 5 guys?

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Substitute lettuce with baby spinach and yep. Top to bottom, on a lightly toasted Kaiser roll, mayo, spinach, onions, tomatoes, cheese, patty (Bubba Burger FTW) mayo and ketchup, smash down, cut in half, inhale. My bacon likes to be alone. I like the Red Robin burgers but those ciabatta rolls don’t hold up the nom between them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I heard about how great 5 guys was so I was excited when they made it out here. Way too much money for marginal product, IMO.

Cheap burgers - In n Out

Mid Range burgers - Smash burger they have 4-5 different ones that are great. The DFW airport smashburger isn’t nearly as good as the ones out here, for some reason?

Habit Burger- not quite as good as smashburger but better and cheaper than 5 guys, also less expensive versus Smashburger. Good onion rings too and they give you ranch to dip them in.

Expensive, lots of places now charge over 20 for a burger, had some good ones but can’t pick a fav.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Tomatoes suck, except for catsup and salsa, must be a texture thing.

969, JBall and Banditracer like this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

They have Five Guys in France? WTF.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I actually looked up the burger I had at Red Robin because we don’t get them here. Southern Charm, mmmm…

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Red Robin also has all you can eat fries!

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have a hard time expecting much from a restaurant burger when I can make so much better at home. I can control everything so it is the perfect meat on the perfect bun with the perfect fixins, grilled to perfect very rare doneness. No burger place can match that. I am having a burger tonight on the grill.

Boman Forklift and Yzasserina like this.
  16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Hot mustard makes the burger

Never cheese, takes away from the beef flavor

Five guys had never done me wrong but I wouldn't drive past a Wendy's to go to one.

Razr likes this.
  17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I go to Five Guys and get just cajun fries and a milkshake. The salty sweet combo is time tested.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I heard that about the fries, maybe I got a bad batch? Uninspiring. I like super skinny twice cooked fries. Think Belgium. The sweet potato fries looked good. Agreed with homemade, haven’t done fast food in like two years?, but my mother was crowing about this burger and we had a social obligation, so why not? If I had to do it all over again I would have removed the bottom half of the roll and ordered that stack of onion rings, lol.

19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

The only good tomato is a dead tomato (ketchup)

Banditracer likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

5 guys fries in the Gaylord store last month were $5.69 and soggy crap! 5.69 for a order of fast food fries are they frikin crazy?

tl1098 likes this.