1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World SBK | ROUND 09 | Pirelli Portuguese Round | 07 - 09 OCT

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Oct 4, 2022.

1. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Jake and Garrett... time to hurt some feelings!

Monsterdood likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Top 5 for Gagne would be a win and a top 10 would be a good showing. At least that is what the team boss says, and I would concur with that assessment.

3. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I think anyone with Top 5 expectations for a one-off wildcard ride is delusional in this field of teams and riders.

On the flip side, I don't see the depth in WSBK as say BSB so a Top 10 however is doable - if I were Stanboli anything from 12th up to 6th would be reason to celebrate like he won the 'ship over there.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If Jake gets a 10th, he will have done amazing!

5. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Positive vibes! Jimmy Filice keeps popping up...

6. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Is there any way to watch this weekend without the online pass?

7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

If Jake is even in the points, I'll be amazed. Nothing against him or Stanboli but I think this field is deeper than most realize. I still firmly believe Garrett is the fastest American in the world right now (just my opinion) and most weekends he's just barely inside the top 10 on tracks and tires he's been on for 3 years now and with effectively a full factory Yamaha machine. Stanboli and Jake are both great. But this is a whole nother level of competition, with new variables at play. American track with the full WSBK paddock on Dunlops, I'd put money on a top 10 and maybe even take a bet on a top 5. But this is completely different.

8. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Eurosport 2 has everything,,, online thru a free bootleg site or a firestick w/LiveNetTV app side loaded

MotoGP69 likes this.
  9. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If by that you mean every series has a rulebook or 'spec', sure, but I think you know what I meant by 'spec series'. One make, one model, same engine, tires, ECM etc.

10. nlzmo400r

If someone coming in on the first year of a new motorcycle's debut (2019) and literally puts SECONDS on the all time most winning WSBK rider in history who has dominated the series for 5 years at the time isn't proof that the v4r has been the best bike since it's inception, you're crazy pants.

To assume AB19 was the bigger reason, not the bike, he goes to HRC with a similar setup (brand new machine designed specifically to win WSBK type events) and is no where for 2 years. Then he comes back to Ducati and continues to be right at the front and arguably the strongest rider again. Sure other OEMs have closed the gap in 3 years, but the Ducati appears to be the fastest accelerating bike, brakes seemingly as well as the others and only lacks corner speed in fastest corners against its competition. And even that is probably a function of wanting the best possible setup to take advantage of the horsepower differential (i.e. long wheelbase, lower SA pivot - all things that would help straight line acceleration but negatively affect corner speed at a given angle)

tophyr likes this.
  11. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I want to see Jakes FP and Q times before I make any predictions.

12. nlzmo400r

well yea, but then your returns dip! I think Gagne will be .8-1.2 sec/lap behind Toprak, and therefore probably .3-.7/lap behind Gerloff.

13. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Hmm, let's look at the championship count since 2011. Kawasaki 7, Aprilia 2, Yamaha 1, & Ducati 1.

What's the common denominator with the other bikes? A frame and a regular swingarm. So, my question is how do you tune flex into an engine (acting as the frame with a single sided swingarm) to get corner speed and that's what I mean by limitations? And doesn't the MotoGP Desmosedici have a frame and regular swingarm?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Remember,,,He's on HIS bike with a little more nutts.....

15. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I think Jake is the real deal...he ain't got nuttin 2 lose this weekend. Dude went toe to toe with a MotoGP regular and smoked him on most tracks.

16. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I think Gagne is about to shock the world! Pin this comment. I can't wait for this wknd.

17. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

+1

That being said, I'm pulling for Gagne hard. Him doing well makes MA look even better. I'm pumped.

tl1098 likes this.
  18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You mean a one-make series? SBK has spec tires, spec engine rules, spec wheel sizes, spec fuel, and the ability to even out the field by changing electronics and changing weights. That's as close to spec as you can get, at least in my opinion. Superbikes used to be hot rods, now they're just polished proddie bikes. Aprilia was really the last OEM to try innovative stuff (Gigi ran it then), no one really does anymore. It's a bit boring tech wise. To me it's spec, but call it what you will.

Boman Forklift and mike w like this.
  19. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

Garret did well in fp1. How did Jake do?

20. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Gagne was 18th in FP1 2 seconds back