1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roadracing a 450 supermoto

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2020.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

is there much difference between the FS and SMR?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The same difference between the fc450 and sx450. Things like subframe etc.the KTM subframe is better than the husky and cheaper to replace.
    The supermoto parts are the same

cBJr likes this.
  3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I personally think the Husky looks better in photos. The stock graphics are pretty sick. I went with the KTM as I found a good deal on one and my nearest dealer is a KTM dealer. Apparently KTM dealers can’t order parts for Husky and vice versa.

4. noles19

That's the first I've heard of that on the parts. Most are direct crossover..

5. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I’m the opposite. I think the KTM looks better. The KTM graphics are miles better imo. The husky is just a bit muted in comparison. Would bought either though. Just found a KTM closer.
    https://imgur.com/a/rTQlLJd

Senna likes this.
  6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Wasn’t there an F450 Moto class back in the day? I remember GPTech and Racetech both had bikes with 450 motors in them. https://racetech.com/page/id/61

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes I had a 550 and it was a hoot until it Blew up...

noles19 likes this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

So what is reasonable gearing for a FS450 on a big boy track? And what top speed does that equate to?

Also, what kind of maintenance is needed for an FS450? Is it top ends every 20 minutes or are they a bit more robust?

Finally, are there any significant differences between model years of the FS450? Specifically wondering about a 2018 vs a 2020, both fairly low mileage.

9. noles19

Get the 20 it's closer to the newest. Small frame differences and things like that performance wise they would be similar.
    Gearing depends on the track I run 16-40 at CMP on the big track.
    Maintenance wise they are very very reliable people regularly get 100+ hours out of a bottom end.
    Top ends last a long time too

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I believe there was a change in the forks between 2018 and 2020. Not positive on that.

G2G is the resident expert, but I know he's caned his 450s for years and hasn't had issues. Another guy I know also runs exclusively 450s at a smaller track and they've been really really reliable.

11. definitely not a cat

I think the fork change was in ‘21 but I’m not 100% sure.
    I haven’t put enough hours on mine to test it but it seems they hit a good balance of performance and reliability. The oil capacity is on the low side so I change it every 1-2 track days for piece of mind. With it only holding around 2 liters per change it’s not too pricey.

Senna likes this.
  12. cse

cse Active Member

Agree with Senna on G2G being the resident expert. He's provided quite a bit of info as I've set my SMR up for big tracks. I've ridden/raced it on the two tracks in Arizona. AMP has a 1549' straightaway with fairly fast entry and exit and I found 15/42 worked perfect. At Podium Club the straightaway is 2800' with fast entry and slow exit and 15/40 did the trick there.

13. SuddenBraking

What speed are you topping out at with those gearings?

14. noles19

Let me look at my data tomorrow and I can give you top speed of 15/38 gear

15. cse

cse Active Member

With 15/42 at AMP I was at 92mph. Don't have data from 15/40 at Podium Club.

16. SuddenBraking

Gotcha; was mainly curious if that gearing gets it up to ~110ish, where I'd feel moderately safe. A top speed of 90 just isn't gonna do it for a (big) trackday bike with a 70mph speed delta to the LEADER bikes.

17. definitely not a cat

I’m pretty sure I’m around 110mph with 15/40 gears. I was hitting 104 on my rc390 and my SMR feels a lot faster. A friend with a converted 16’ sxf 450 had gps clocking him at 113mph and were even on the straights.
    Personally I’ve never worried about delta speed. I’ve ran my little 390 and now the SMR in the “expert” group at my track. If you’re in a more experienced group you’ll be fine. The lower groups have a bit more difficulty judging closing speeds.

Senna and SuddenBraking like this.
  18. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Hey Guys, my go to on roadrace tracks like Barber would be 15/40 or 16/40. Just depends on the conditions of the track and if there is a head wind. Daytona I raced and ran 16/38. Never run a motard on that track. Only reason I did is I was chasing a Championship. CMP, Blackhawk, Gingerman, NJMP, Laguna I run 1540 or 15/42. This is for and FS450 as I have owned a 2017 and now a 2020. Both bikes had headwork and a lot of tuning on race gas. On the same dyno they were 68 and 69 HP so that also factors into the gearing. The 16 front with the 38 rear might be useless for a stock FS/SMR as it might pull as quick and hard.

Just remember wind plays a HUUUGE factor on gearing. Attached a picture racing at Daytona. It can be done. Changing the oil after every race weekend is key. FB_IMG_1642981525761.jpg

SuddenBraking and noles19 like this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

How shitty are the stock 450 handguards? I know they don't have metal reinforcements. Are they going to do anything to protect controls in a crash? Debating if I need to swap them out before getting on track.

20. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

I'd recommend replacing them with acerbis ones. I crashed twice on the stockers (low sides, kart track) and they were fine. Then last week I was cleaning my bike in my garage and the bike fell off the stand and snapped the stocker.