1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

roadracing a 450 supermoto

Discussion in 'General' started by turbulence, Aug 3, 2020.

1. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

Sounds good Senna. Let me know if you have any questions about getting involved with the Club.

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Turns out, a 450 is kind of a handful on a kart track. :D

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Shoulder killer

Triple X likes this.
  4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a whole lot of fun!

Triple X and Senna like this.
  5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

My shoulders have gotten really weak in the past few years. I can only do ~5 laps on a kart track before they just give out. Unfortunately, races are 10 laps.

Boman Forklift and noles19 like this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

This followed me home today. (Yes, my driveway needs a repave.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rehh, Boman Forklift, G2G and 4 others like this.
  7. noles19

Pretty much the best bang for your buck you can buy.
    Congratulations and not that it needs it but if you start moding it reach out and I can point you in the right direction

Triple X likes this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah I def will. Plan is to ride it as is for quite a while. I’ll get some roadrace gearing on order too.

9. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

Change the rear spring if you weigh over 160lbs. I found the stock spring way too soft for my 200lb fatass. Made the bike handle poorly.

Senna likes this.
  10. The Beer Hunter

What particularly have you done? I've changed the rear spring on mine, added sliders, the akra exhaust, drilled out the airbox cover and cut the spark arrestor. Next in the list is probably a spring kit for the front as I feel the air fork is waaay too progressive to work well braking super late.

11. noles19

I've done a good amount to mine at this point little by little. Stock is really really good I agree about the stock rear spring being soft for over 190 pounds that was my change along with running 8.5 bar In the front forks with that I was happy.
    Now I have a yosh exhaust, aim ECU, healtech quick shifter, and the latest thing I've done is a full cobra front end with dual front rotors, reverse offset fork legs and lainer inserts in the forks.

Rehh and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. The Beer Hunter

Why the reverse offset as opposed to triple clamps? Also curious why the double brake setup. I've thought the stock brakes are more than enough for that thing. I've definitely considered a QS and getting a lighter spring for the suter clutch to let it freewheel into corners.

13. noles19

I got a great deal on it so I figured why not.
    The brakes feel more balanced than the single rotor and it definitely stops even better.
    It also has lower offset triples than stock to go along with the reverse offset fork legs. It really helps it change direction while feeling very stable. Downside is it works the front wheel a lot more for tire wear.

14. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Very nice bike! I picked a ‘22 SMR myself a few weeks ago. I did one track day at heartland park and that was more than enough AER air spring for me. Spring conversion will be here later this week.
    Other than that fantastic bike. Careful with the throttle you can tear that B-stone rear to hell pretty easily.

Senna likes this.
  15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’ve heard mixed things on the front forks. The spring conversion isn’t terribly expensive and I’ll have MotorRev do some work on my one fiddy when he’s in town again, so might have him do the SMR while he’s at it.

How is it at Topeka? I think that would be a pretty good track for a supermoto.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Who do y’all like for warmers? I’m leaning chicken hawk as it looks like their sizing is a bit more supermoto specific. I liked my woodcrafts, but woodcraft is out of stock of all warmers.

17. The Beer Hunter

I run the standard woodcraft warmers. I like the extra size to wrap around to wrap around the sides of the rear. Just be careful with the front one if you use a center stand as you'll slowly scrape through the warmer

Senna likes this.
  18. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

Personally I think HPT is a bit big for motards but still a lot fun. Looking forward to taking it up to Hastings next year. That track should be a lot of fun.

Senna likes this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Lemme know when you’re going. That was my “home” track for a few years and I plan to take the 450 there 2-3 times next year.

20. noles19

I use woodcraft warmers also

Senna likes this.