1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRF150R Mini-moto/MX dual purpose? Or am I an idiot?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Sudowoodo, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

So, I just picked up a 2007 CRF150R to do mini moto with. I'm in the Pensacola, FL area and the closest mini track for me is 3.5 hours away in NOLA, but I have 2 MX tracks within 30 minutes... Am I an idiot for also wanting to MX this as an adult? I'm well aware it is not the ideal bike for a grown ass man, especially a 6'4" one, but it's what I have and I want some cheap 2 wheeled training I can do locally. $20 and some gas seems like a no brainer to just go get some dirt experience, and the knobbies are brand new too. But the last time I did MX was twice when I was 9, so I'm pretty clueless.

I still plan to use it for mini-moto. It seems pretty easy to swap the front brake setup around when I change the wheels. Would mini-moto spring rates be way too stiff to be realistically feasible on dirt? Thanks in advance for answering any of my dumb ass questions.

Also, ISO of cool CRF150R mini-moto bits, if any of you have some stashed.

2. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

Maybe a trail but an MX track at 6’4 on a 150 ? Really

Speedy Spears and Sudowoodo like this.
  3. Sudowoodo

I looked into doing trails but the ones around here seem to at least require the vehicle be titled as an OHV, which this bike isn't unfortunately.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Are you looking to get dirt experience like breaking the rear loose or dirt experience like X games style jumps? If the former I think you'd be "okay", but the latter's a hell no.

Do they have flat track near you? That's another (better) option for cheap seat time.

-6'3 guy with 150R

Sudowoodo likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Why not pick up a 250 or 125 for the MX tracks? 3.5 hours away for a mini track seems like it's kind of negating the benefits of a mini in the first place.

6. Sudowoodo

I'm just looking to get dirt experience, not big ass jumps. I think there's a dirt track in Pensacola. I can call them up and ask about practice days.

I'd love a bigger bike to try MX, but it's out of the financial cards for the time being. The 150R was a good local deal, and it doubles as a pit bike. 3.5 hours is far, but it's still closer and less expensive than any big bike track day or race at Tally GP, Barber, Jennings, etc.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

If you dont want to spend all your time cleaning/maintaining a dirtbike... I would just keep it on pavement. Setup a skills course witg cones in a parking lot or empty street.
    My trail bike requires 1 hour for every 3 ridden on dirt and Im barely getting WFO.
    Plus the suspension setup is completely different on an MX bike

Senna and Sudowoodo like this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Damn. Is that just cleaning the thing?

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

general cleaning, lubing the chain, checking spokes, checking fasteners, airfilter every 10 hours, etc.
    Buying a brand new stocker is worse... suspension, tubliss or mousses, tires, controls, tuners, etc.

Senna likes this.
  10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Dang.

11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Isn't Robby Bobby in Pensacola? He runs (or ran) a flat track there and is king of the great mini wars. Stop by D&D Cycles, I'm sure he can give you all the info you desire and then some.
    And I second what's mentioned above, flat track on that bike is far more feasible over MX.

Sudowoodo likes this.
  12. Sudowoodo

Yeah I'll go bother him next time I'm by D&D.