1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | Superbikes at Pittsburgh presented by LaRoche Aviation Services | Aug 19-21

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Aug 16, 2022.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

i think they protested dom doyle too at road america when he was beating rocco early on

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a professional motor builder, but I've had plenty of them apart. If it is as fresh as they say, they didn't remove the crank or the piston/rod assembly from what I'm reading. They wouldn't have even messed up the cam timing it they removed the cams and didn't have to take off the gears. So a set of gaskets, check the cam timing if you want and you are back in business, from my understanding.

Now if the engine isn't fresh and was due for a rebuild, sure then the R6 can get expensive because you are probably replacing all the valves as well as the rods/pistons/rings and doing a valve seat cut/grind, or maybe throwing on a new head?

Edit:
    I just looked who I quoted, and you are a professional engine builder, so....yea....what he said.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

:crackup:

4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

fooled another one....

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Well Mike - I can't complain. As far as I'm concerned you're pretty darn professional, you actually put all the parts I gave you in MY motor(s) as opposed to Probst who either stole them or put them in OTHER peoples motors! :D

SundaySocial and Boman Forklift like this.
  6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I heard this quoted a bunch by various people throughout the weekend, including my crew chief, but I looked in the rulebook and couldn't find anything about it. Only relevant passage I was able to find was this:
    That's talking about hearings, not teardowns, and critically, the language in the rulebook does not make much distinction between a protest from a competitor about another competitor's illegal machinery vs a protest from a competitor about an official ruling.. the latter context being where "hearing" makes more sense. But there was no other section that made mention of the word "protest". So if someone's better at rulebookese than me, I'm curious to know if the 3-round thing is real too.

7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

This strategy is, similarly to the 3-round belief, I think based on either old rules or just paddock cargo cult. The rulebook gives the technical inspector the ability to examine any parts in view (including any parts that become in view during a teardown to a protested item) but it does not require the inspector to examine any parts other than the protested item. So, I could be running domed +2mm pistons inside a stroker motor, but if all you protested was my crankshaft bearings and those crankshaft bearings turn out to be OEM, the tech inspector doesn't have to disqualify me.

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

We got sealed by MA last year and waited til the 3rd round to tear down. They took our pistons and rods, and got them back the next round after they inspected. I'm sure it's in the tech regs or handbook somewhere..

tophyr likes this.
  9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

LOL Boyd is good shit

upload_2022-9-1_15-25-29.png

10. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

That's gotta sting a little.

12. Peter Hively

Peter Hively Registered

Maybe they can protest him too?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

HBSK seems to always have negative stuff swirling around about them. I don’t remember the specifics but for years it seems there is always some BS. One year, I seem to recall they were going to run an Aprila and that never came through. and I don’t even think they gridded up that season. I don’t think they have ever kept a rider for a second season, either?

14. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

HSBK ran Aprilia with Corti. Had good finishes.
    Aprilia promised them extra money for those results so HSBK could go SBK racing instead of SSTK ( at the time ).
    Then Aprilia decided to keep the said promised money for a new demo ride rig and bikes to tour the country with.
    And expected HSBK to still run the race program, turn in "expense checks" and hope to get paid back. AFTER dissing HSBK on promised bonus money ???
    Bobby rightfully told the Aprilia ( Piaggio group, whatever ) race program folks to pound sand.

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

There is more than likely one common denominator

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Well at least that explains one of their F’up’s.

17. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Several riders getting booted out of the blue over the years iirc

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

It's funny everyone bashing hsbk for protesting when as states Rocco's team did the same. And Rocco's team is far from a tight budget.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

LOL. You're the greatest ever. Precisely my point.

20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

They should have given PJ another season on that bike after it burned the shit out of them, or at least have put him on the V2. They’re like the anti-Westby.

kirk erlinger, backbone and ungwaha like this.