1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with all the rebuilt titles out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Aug 25, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'm half-heartedly looking at used Toyota Siennas. A lot of them have rebuilt titles (salvage). Are these flood cars from Houston?

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Floods from several states. What's the Carfax say

3. notbostrom

Or they were built from melted down doge coins and simply fell apart

4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Could be a steal of a deal if done right. I've put over 100k mi on my salvage title 2013 Ram 1500. Would have been a $28-30k truck, but because of salvage title unpaid $12k for it in 2016. Been a flawless vehicle. Consumables (oil changes, brakes, etc) and an O2 sensor is all I've put into it.

5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

The prices on used and wait list on a new car have made them profitable would be my guess.

R Acree and hotnail like this.
  6. lopitt85

Forgot to mention, only had 10-11k mi on the odometer when I bought it. Cant remember the exact number.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

What use to get stripped for parts now is worth putting back together with the covid pricing.

R Acree and bpro like this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Land Rover had a ton of Range Rover Sports that were listed as manufacturer buy back / salvage or what not. The dealer said it was due to how long it was taking to get new multimedia / nav screens. Land Rover was taking the vehicles back and replacing them then putting them out there as salvage with no warranty once they replaced the units.

9. notbostrom

Link?

chobes likes this.
  10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

rookie question, whats the downside with a salvage title car other than resale is gonna suck?

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Some are hacked back together, some are fixed properly.

When you see a car crabbing down the road, it's probably a hacked salvage rebuild.

12. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

so best to see carfax on what happened then cross fingers if it was put together well??

13. GM GIXXER

GM GIXXER Well-Known Member

Depends on why the vehicle has a salvage title. Flood cars are a wildcard. Computer modules/wiring etc damages and corrosion can be a problem, especially with a salt water flood. A crashed car that is rebuild, if the repairs were good, might not be a problem. Most aren't so good and done on the cheap. Chinese cheap ass parts, hidden damages, improper repairs. Ugh seen some scary stuff. Saw a toyota rav4 the other day that was in for an alignment, the front crash bar was missing, cover on the car but crash bar not there. WTF?? Wouldn't want anyone I care about driving that shit.

sanee likes this.
  14. lopitt85

I would steer clear of anything that was flood related...too many electronics in today's cars for that headache.

I'd stick with something totaled from an accident and repaired properly from a reputable shop.

Get a good inspection done before purchasing through a shop you trust. This is in addition to the state inspections that the "rebuilder" has to go through.

This is what I did and my truck has been flawless for over 100k miles at a fraction of the price I would have paid otherwise.

GM GIXXER and sanee like this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Any trouble getting stuff like this insured?

16. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Insured? Naw.

Covered for loss? :crackup:

17. lopitt85

I have full coverage on mine (truck) no problem. Only concern might be the replacement value if it gets totaled, depending in how the insurance company holds up their end of the deal.

I had a bike with a salvage title. Had full coverage on it and it was covered in full when I totaled it. Covered the bike and all my gear. Insurance Co didnt care one bit that it was a salvage title.

sanee likes this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

19. Been looking for an M5 or C63, anytime price looks really good they are salvage title.

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I thought the title was about rebuilt titties at first look.

And I was going to ask why it was a problem.

DJ Baker likes this.